Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixing window treatments in same room?

Posted by ksoxgrl (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 9:57

I have two skylights in my bedroom on one wall and on the opposite wall there are three regular windows. Because of the pitched wall where the skylights are the position of them are quite low in the room. So my question is do you think I have to match the skylights to the other three windows? My only option on the skylights are cell shades and I was hoping to go with roman shades on the three windows. What are your thoughts on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixing window treatments in same room?

And here's the pic of the skylights, sorry I don't know how to add multiple pictures to post.

o

To me, it makes sense to cover the skylights in cellular shades and do something different with the vertical windows. If you are trying to control the light coming in, you may need to do a cellular shade on the half window.

That's a pretty room!

o

They are very different windows, so different treatments would make sense...best to coordinate colors though to keep it cohesive.

o

It is a pretty room! What is the paint color? I love it.

o

Graywings and Annie - thank you for your votes on being able to use different window treatments on these windows. I'd love to do some roman shades on the three windows.

Bumblbeez, I wish I could give you the paint color but it's been so long since we painted the room that I cannot remember, it's a deeper sage color if that helps. We are getting ready to repaint.

o

IMO, a sky'light' isn't a window, but a means of allowing more light into a room, and is used only on a ceiling. Windows on the other hand are only used on walls.

In no way do the means by which the light is allowed in/out have to watch~~could you imagine drapery panels on a skylight?

o

Patty - I agree that you wouldn't have to match window treatments in the usual skylight and window scenarios but the reason why I ask is because the skylights sit very low on the slanted ceiling with a short knee wall that they almost appear to be at the same height as the windows across the room.

o

I had a similar arrangement in our bedroom 3 houses ago! I used some Sari fabric and hung them with clips on a rod for the main windows. For the skylights I used the same sari fabric and sewed two rod pockets at either end. I then used narrow tension rods to stretch the fabric and cover the skylight.

The windows had hunter douglas duettes for light control and the skylights had a roller shade for light control. Both white.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here