Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grad_girl_1

What are your favorite bed sheets?

grad_girl_1
9 years ago

I'm in the market for some new bed linens. I prefer softer sheets made with more natural fibers. Something breathable. What are your favorites?

Comments (40)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Pottery Barn 100% cotton sheets. They're great.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Strong White Linen from Rough Linen. If you buy them you won't ever want to sleep on anything else.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Basic 100% cotton flannel. Breathes well, soft, warm in winter with other covers, but cool enough in summer without other layers. We sleep on flannel year round.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, are you talking about PB Classic 400-Thread-Count? The PB Essential says sateen, which I dislike.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I have Restoration Hardware vintage washed 600 ct sheets. I really like them.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I don't like sateen either. Someone gave me the PB sheets, and they are soft and awesome. Let me see if I can figure out which ones they are.

I do know that it isn't the thread count that matters but the thread "length".

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Here you go, PB 400 ct. organic cotton percale.

PB also has linen sheets now! I'm temptedâ¦.!

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Cotton percale sheets.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Tib, thanks. I still can't wrap my head around $200 sheets. Must have a chat with myself.

• jjam
    9 years ago

Biltmore House cotton sheets. They are soft and are the only cotton sheets that I've tried which don't need touching up with an iron. They wash and dry so beautifully you would think you had them laundered professionally.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sheets have gotten SO expensive. Unfortunately, if you want really good ones, you have to pay the piper for themâ¦or sell your soul to the devil.

I do think they are one of a few items worth putting money into, though. Just take care of them! Wash them only in cold or warm water, not hot.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And of course, check online for PB coupons!

Also, eBay is great for vintage cotton percale sheets. Vintage bedding was so much better than stuff made now. You don't want anything "no iron". that means there is a chemical in it to keep it from wrinkling. Wrinkling is GOOD when it comes to sheets and pillow cases. Either hang them on a line to dry in the sun (great for them not wrinkling), or pull them out of the dryer right away and get them on your bed and pillows, and them your body heat will take care of any wrinkling. I cannot image ironing sheets! Did our grandmothers really do that???

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I would never iron a sheet. Back in the day my mom sent ours to the laundry and they were divine. My aunt had a big roller type of ironing contraption for sheets. You wouldn't want to get your hair or your tie caught in that!

• violetwest
    9 years ago

promising myself another Rough Linen sheet for Christmas.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Violet West,
    Treat yourself to the sheets now. If you buy other people gifts at that time of year then you're more likely to think "I shouldn't spend money on myself when I have so many other gifts to buy." You'll have 2 additional months to enjoy your sheets and be well rested at Xmas shopping time.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

I iron my sheets! I love my Miele rotary iron for it. It makes sleeping on them divine. I have a mix of Rough linen and Yves Delorme. The Yves Delorme outlet has great sales every so often. Matteo has great sheets also at a reasonable price. Just got a new duvet cover. I have a small sheet budget every year to add items to my collections.
    Good luck!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Ironing sheets should be another thread altogether! I don't iron anything (its kind of like the dishwasher, if it can't go in the dishwasher, I don't buy it, if it has to be ironed, I don't buy it). There isn't enough time in life for any of it to be spent ironing sheets :-)

I've got to take a look at those Rough Linen and percale sheets. I hate the sheets we have now (but not because they wrinkle)

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Re: Rough linen sheets - are they rough? Why do you guys like them so much? Do they stay tucked in? Do they ever have sales or promotions? Thanks!

• homepro01
    9 years ago

She does not have sales at rough linens. I kind of like that:-)
    The sheets from Rough linens are really large and they stay tucked in. They are not rough feelings. There are several type of linen. I have the smooth white and the oatmeal. The oatmeal has a texture that is different from the smooth white. The sheets keep me warm without sweating and they are not heavy.

I love percale sheets and that is what I tend to buy when buying cotton sheets. I like Yves Delorme percale and their outlet is a great buy if you have patience.

I find ironing relaxing. I don't have a ton of time but about 2 hours a week gets my laundry and linens ironed. It prevents me from paying a therapist to listen to me:-)

Having said, I have a robotic lawn mower and I am looking at a robotic window cleaner. The day Honda releases Asimo the laundry robot, I will be the first in line.
    Good luck!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Rockybird, I don't know why they are called rough linen because they are anything but. I never iron my sheets and they are divine though I do iron my pillowslips. The best thing about the RL linen is that it is the first pillowslip I have ever had that doesn't leave creases on my face. I don't know why but out of all the reasons to love RL that is at the top of my list. They are huge sheets and they stay tucked in without issues. I won't buy any other sheet from now on unless she goes out of business and I hope that is never the case. If I ever have to start giving up luxuries linen sheets will be the last to go.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I always loved my Thomas Lee until people here started me on Rough Linen. I have the sheets, pillow slips, and summer cover (so far). My summer cover had a defective spot where the weave was miswoven. I never would have noticed it (which I told them) had I not been ironing the hems (and yes, I am nuts, but I actually enjoy ironing-very satisfying and I have always ironed bed linens). They replaced the summer cover and even included the gift of a bread bag with the replacement. Such wonderful people (Jaqueline, Aria, and, the owner, Trish)! I owe them a thank you note.

The more you wash linen, the softer it becomes, but there is just something so lovely about these linen sheets. They are large, have a wonderful hand and weight, can be smoothed when slightly damp so you wouldn't need to iron, and I love the colors-natural and earthy.

I am slowly going to switch all our beds over to linen eventually...bit by bit.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love my Thomas Lee sheets too, Cyn. Still using them now until it gets too cold. They're my summer sheets.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I still love them too, Tib. They are marvelous sheets. :)

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Rough Linen's sheets are not rough to the touch. The bed cover and other items of the Orkney fabric have a more rustic weave and I think that rustic/old-fashioned fabric is what gave the business the name. But even that is not rough. I think the first time I washed my pinafore, it came out a bit stiff (probably over-dried it int he dryer), but still not rough. Other than that, my sheets, bed cover, pinafore and kitchen towel all get softer with repeated washing. The hand is uniquely linen.

If you are hesitant to buy sheets, treat yourself to a pinafore or apron -- or even a tea towel or two, and enjoy them for a while. I covered my legs with my pinafore before finally deciding to order the bedding.
    Editing to add -- yes, they do stay tucked in. And very well. DH wasn't too keen on the idea of an unfitted sheet or the loose bed cover. He loves them both now.

This post was edited by lascatx on Mon, Oct 20, 14 at 17:51

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I just recently discovered Restoration Hardware stonewashed linen sheets. After a few washes with baking soda and a vinegar rinse to soften them, they're my new favorites.

So comfortable and I'm no longer overheating at night. Also, they're the only ones I've used that have a fitted sheet with pockets deep enough for my pillow top mattress and a flat sheet that's more than wide enough to tuck in on both sides. I liked them so much that I got the matching duvet cover to replace the PB linen cover I just recently bought.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Irons are better for making toast. Just bought a new set for $8. Flannel for winter, pulled up to the nose.

• grad_girl_1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For those of you who have linen sheets, do you hang them dry, or use the dryer?

One challenge I have is that we live in a condo, so we do not have a yard or a suitable space for hanging sheets to dry, so I would probably have to use the dryer.

• sis2two
    9 years ago

I have to also chime in about Rough Linen. I honestly can't even begin to explain how comfy and cozy they are and they wash up like a dream. It took three good washings for them to soften up for my personal preference. But the more you wash them the softer they get. They are pricey but I truly believe the quality is worth it.

I just purchased the duvet cover and I can honestly say I've never slept better!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Grad, I dry my linens in the dryer on low. The sheets come out great except for the hems, they get a bit wonky but not bad. I don't wake up drenched with night sweats anymore. The linen I guess is either more absorbent or just lets my skin breathe.

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

The linen sheets - how well do they hold up and can you bleach them? I really and not fond of my yellowed sheets. Even when fresh they just look dingy.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

So, about $400 for two queen sheets and regular pillowcases. Not to be gross, but what about that stuff that can soil bedding? All that luscious white linen. Then what?

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I'm another one who irons sheets. Nothing as wonderful as getting into a bed with good sheets, ironed....especially the pillow cases. Doesn't take long, by the way--Just fold and iron the top quarter, flip it over and do the same for the other side. (With pure cotton, usually need to use a little spray starch.)

• ccintx
    9 years ago

I have some sheets from IKEA that I love! And reasonable prices also. They are so soft, and have deep pockets and stay on great.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Grad girl, We dry ours in the dryer. We tried hanging or spreading them, but I live in an area where we aren't allowed to have clotheslines, so for something large like a king sheet it took two people and some creativity to hang it and keep it clean. Well, we tried and decided tumbling on low works better for us.

• AlfredWong
    9 years ago

I really like cotton bed sheet which is best to use and also good to wash, we can also get good quality and design bed sheet in cotton. Usually I like to light color bed sheet, there are some more varieties of bed sheet are also available in the shop.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Linelle,

Your comment about the roller iron made me think of a story about my grandmother. She didn't get her hair caught in one but she did get something else caught. She never used the ironer again!

Linda

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Linelle,
    I have had no stains cling to my sheets. I do use ecover stain treater when I have a tough stain and the sheets look as they did on the first day.

Good luck!

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

back in the 60's I cleaned at one of the local rectories (with my sister). Along with cleaning we ironed linens - that included the sheets.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

comments to questions about linen sheets, which I have now from both RH and Rough Linen. The Rough Linen ones are better -- larger, and with a finer hand (but the RH ones frequently are on sale). I'm glad to see that there are more people discovering these -- when I first started talking about linen sheets here a couple of years ago, there was much less enthusiasm for them. They are both cool and warm, when appropriate (don't know how!), and so comforting!

They are not rough, but they do have a texture, which I love. In the area of TMI, I sleep nude and they are very sensual. You are not supposed to bleach them -- only wash with mild detergent. Oxyclean is okay though. I dry mine in the dryer on medium, but my dryer has a "energy saver" setting which I love and makes them wrinkle less, although I don't mind the wrinkles at all.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

My favorite sheets are Frette, a luxury for sure. They were purchased when our daughter lived in Italy.

A few months ago I was searching for affordable, decent sheets for our vacation house. After much searching I decided on JC Penney sheets. I bought a set to "try" and once they passed the sleep test, I ordered 12 sets!

I am amazed at how comfy and easy they are (cotton/poly blend). Here's the link:
    http://www.jcpenney.com/jcpenney-home-300tc-easy-care-solid-sheet-set/prod.jump?ppId=1a149e3&catId=cat100250068&deptId=dept20000012&&_dyncharset=UTF-8