Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd

Hall Lighting: Overhead or Sconce? Electrician coming today!

ttodd
10 years ago

I know I'm being a huge PIA but I got a note last night that the electrician will be here today to work on my hallway lighting, I need to tell him where to put the upstairs hall light.

I've given much thought about my hallway lighting fixtures and really took into consideration the responses that I got from my other thread.

I think I picked a line:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Estelle-Collection-2-Light-Champagne-Wall-Sconce-HD13811W2CHPC/202888920#.UllN_RfD_6Q

I thought about what Beverly27 posted in regards to the lighting all being coordinating and that is what is most appealing to me while I live here and something that potential buyers may notice. Most of the homes that sell in our area are 'cobbled' together w/ a mish mash of clearance when somebody sells. And even though some homes on my block have been for sale forever, I have people stopping and asking if my home is for sale or will be everyday because of the work that they see going on.

Not only do I have to buy fixtures for my hallway, but when we move I will be taking all of my current chandeliers w/ me so I will have to replace DR, kitchen and mudroom ceiling fixtures. All rooms (except MR) come off of hallway. I though that the above line would solve my issues:

1. Price point is right
2. Although not what I might choose for my forever home, it is something that I can absolutely live w/ while house is on market.
3. Fits the home. Kind of, sort of, in a way lol!
4. Will create flow to showcase the best house possible for buyers.
5. I have to think about our local housing market and who would be looking to buy our home and it's not going to be somebody who would notice high end fixtures and the significance of era appropriate lighting. I have to find the right balance.

So my question is this: For the upstairs portion of our very small/ short hallway where a lighting fixture is being added, would you recommend a ceiling mount or wall sconce?

Wish I had pictures but I don't. The ceiling space is already crowded w/ huge air intake vent and smoke detector. One wall has very large gold gilt mirror and there is one other wall about the width of a door where I can but a double sconce.

I want to keep it super simple in regards to how much stuff is up there. There are literally 5 doors coming off this short, narrow space so it is already visually busy. Walls, doors and trim are all white.

So, double wall sconce or overhead?

Comments (8)