Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malhgold_gw

Are Your Sidelights Painted the Trim or Front Door Color

malhgold
13 years ago

We just had our house painted(it's actually dark gray, pics look blue) and I'm not loving the front door color at the moment. I have another thread floating around asking for suggestions for a new color. In the meantime, I'm wondering if painting the sidelights in the trim color instead of the door color would help. For those of you with sidelights, are they painted the trim color(which is what the painter wanted to do and I vetoed it) or the house color?

Comments (17)

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Our sidelights match the trim on our windows, but they didn't come with the front door so there's a row of brick between them and the front door.

I don't think they'd make a difference with your door because you already have a white trim around the whole thing.

I'd just bite the bullet and repaint the door.

• sue36
    13 years ago

My door is black and all the rest (trim, sidelights, small pilasters, crown, etc.) is white.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i usually like sidelights same color as door...

• sallymo2015
    13 years ago

I think your entry looks fine all in one color, but I'll post our door for comparison.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

My sidelights and transoms are the same as the trim.

• whitdobe
    13 years ago

Ours are painted the trim color.

• User
    13 years ago

My sidelights match the maghoney stained door, but the trim around the door and sidelights plus around the two transoms dont match either the door or the white trim around the windows. It is black, but the lanterns and door hardware are also black to match.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

My front door is also black with the sidelights painted the same color as the trim which is white.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

I vote for painting the sidelights on your home. The photos above are lovely but I think those work because of the amount of decorative molding that is around each door. You don't have much headroom above your door and I'd paint the sidelights to add more weight to your door area.

If you want to get carried away with remodeling, look into redesigning the molding above your entry. ;)

The example below is of DS's house before fixtures were replaced.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• debbie_2008
    13 years ago

definitely trim color IMO

• dakota01
    13 years ago

I would probably paint them to match the door. Making the entry to your home appear larger. I would also get new outdoor lights and have them lowered. I think a pretty burgandy paint or black for your door would like nice too. I would paint your flower pots to match.

• gobruno
    13 years ago

Ours are painted the same as the trim color (white).

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

We don't have sidelights in our new home, but here's a photo of our old home with the sidelights painted the door color:

• sandra_zone6
    13 years ago

Our sidelites are painted our door color. Here is our New England home....

{{!gwi}}

I read your other thread, have you considered a very pale gray for your door color. Your steps do have browns, but I also see grays in there as well. I think the brown clashes with your current house color, which is a fantastic color, btw.

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

Our sidelights and transom and door were all white, which was also the trim color. This summer I painted the door black and left the transom and sidelights white. I like the door a different color.

• sammiecanada
    13 years ago

I just went through the same thing and wanted my sidelight to be painted the same as the door. The door color is BM wrought iron. Next year it will be the outside of the house renovation when we save more money!