Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Folding doors

Pipdog
10 years ago

Does anyone have folding doors? I'm considering replacing the old sliders in our formal living room and our den.

I've searched old GW threads and found a few recommended vendors of folding doors (Nanawall, La Cantina, Lanai Doors, Fleetwood and Solar Innovations). Hard to know which ones are reputable manufacturers - Nanawall seems to be at the top of the heap. Are there others out there I should be looking at?

If you having folding doors, have you found any issues with them? Cold weather is not really an issue for us, although there is a bit of marine layer/fog in our area.

This is sort of the look we are going for:

Modern Deck by San Francisco Architects & Designers yamamar design

Midcentury Family Room by San Francisco Architects & Designers Klopf Architecture

Modern Living Room by San Francisco Architects & Designers yamamar design

Midcentury Family Room by San Francisco Architects & Designers Klopf Architecture

Modern Exterior by Los Angeles Architects & Designers Think. Design Office

As much as I like the folding doors, these sliders are pretty gorgeous:

Modern Kitchen by Los Angeles Architects & Designers Paul Davis Architects PC

This post was edited by pipdog on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 9:59

Comments (7)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

We stayed in a resort that had them in our villa. We liked them so much we called them to ask what kind they were, and they were Nanawall.

The architect we were using on the beachhouse new build also reccommended them, although he dissuaded us from using them in our project. I think in the NE they are very impractical. Elsewhere they are just regular impractical.

But, ahh, so beautiful, you really must!

• kellyh_2010
    10 years ago

We are considering one for our project. We are on the SF Peninsula and they are becoming very popular here. From the research I've done, Nanawall is the high end and La Cantina is a very good competitor, less expensive but good value. A lot of the window manufacturers are making them now such as Andersen, Kolbe and Sierra Pacific. They are roughly $1,000/ft

You can get them configured just about any way. Our wall is about 15' and we'd do 4 panels with the center two opening like French doors and then folding back. I've seen several where they have 1 door that opens independently so you can walk in and out on a daily basis and then the rest fold open.

The ones I've seen are just like any other new slider or french door in terms of quality. If you don't go with a threshold, you just have to make sure it's more protected in case of hard rain w/wind blowing directly at the door.

Living in a state that gets less than 40 days of rain a year, they are pretty amazing for indoor/outdoor living :)

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

Ok -I want to ask this question everytime I see these doors, so i will just ask it. The doors are absolutely beautiful and I would love to have room (s) that could be opened up when the weather is nice, but don't you get lots of flies and mosquitos in the house? Sorry, just had to ask.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks, kellyh and mtnredux. Good to know about other manufacturers. We're going comparison shopping next week and I'll share what info I can find. Kellyh, are you looking at wood frame or aluminum frame ones? Aluminum goes better with the more modern look of our home and we felt that wood might be more maintenance, so I think we are leaning towards aluminum.

countryatheart, mosquitos are not all that common in California. They must be afraid of the earthquakes!

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

Thanks pipdog-Lol-California IS heaven on earth. I did not know that about mosquitos there. Here in the midwest we start hearing about west nile disease (carried by mosquitos) as soon as the weather warms up. They take the enjoyment out of many summer evenings.

• kellyh_2010
    10 years ago

We are looking at the wood clad ones and we'd do grills in them. Our house is/was a not quite ranch, not quite Eichler with an added 70's cinderblock fireplace wall that we're updating to what I consider an updated California or updated ranch. I had dismissed these doors initially because I thought they'd be too modern, but after looking at a ton of photos online I've come around to them and love the openness. We have a set of French doors that are 2 years old that we could use instead so we're just in the trying to justify the extra cost to a project that is already over budget phase.

I think especially in a house like yours they would be amazing.

• CharissaMK
    10 years ago

My father-in-law installed 4 panel Nanawall for a 10x7 opening about 7 years ago. Still operates beautifully now. However, he paid about $10K. My brother in law recently remodeled his home, and went with Lanai doors, 3 panel for a 10x7 opening for about $8K. This included a full length "retractable" screen. Beautiful looking doors, smooth operation. Much better looking than the nanawall, but to be fair, the two have different styling and color (not to mention 7 year gap). Check out Panoramic doors (?) I'm not sure about quality or operation, but a friend of ours got a 3 panel for about $4K. We're looking into pocket multi-slider ourselves. Got a quote for a 14x7 Fleetwood Norwood 3070 for about $9K (excluding installation). We will also check out Panda and Western.