Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

So Dumb. CHAIRS

anele_gw
9 years ago

I need to stay off CL.

I found some chairs I love. I don't think they are particularly comfortable, but I love the look of them. LOVE.

The seller has been lowering the price . . .they are a good price!!!

But, I have zero need or room for these chairs. ZERO.

So, to sum things up:
I want chairs that:
(1) Are likely uncomfortable
(2) I have no need for
(3) I have no room for

Please talk me out of these. As I said the seller keeps lowering the price so these may go now . . .so I have the urge to just get them, which, as my title says, is SO DUMB.

Comments (58)

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Anele go get the chairs! Now! But they need new fabric ;)

• coll_123
    9 years ago

They are cool and I see them as accent chairs that don't need to be particularly comfortable because they won't get used much. BUT, if you really don't have room, don't buy them. I am out of room in my garden and had to force myself to stop buying stuff because everything was getting too cluttered. Or buy them if you have something else you can get rid of.

• pugga
    9 years ago

OMG - you need those chairs!

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Just get rid of something else you love less to make room. But don't tell him that's why or he'll take it all personally.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

If you think a throw pillow will make the back comfortable, get them. You can move them around to where you need an extra seat or two when you have a crowd. They have enough negative space that there is probably a bedroom or study or something where you can stash them without them being too obtrusive.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I LOVE them! Honestly Anele, you can't have enough chairs. I counted the chairs in my main floor the other day because my grandson had that question in his classroom. I came up with 30 chairs and 2 benches. Granted 12 of them are dining chairs. I also just bought 2 darling tub chairs but I am using them in my office at my shop but some day I will have to incorporate them into my home.

Hello, my name is Holly and I have a chair problem.....

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I have two Heywood Wakefield chairs that are so delicate no one can sit on them. The cat weighs 8 lbs. and she's made the caning sag. (They are tiny 19th c. gilt "bamboo" chairs).

But I didn't buy them together. I bought one first, realized no one could ever sit on it and bought a second later on so I would have a pair (of useless chairs).

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

This reminded me of the article from The Onion. About chairs.

Here is a link that might be useful: chair article

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I understand your passion. I stalked a chair for three years hoping the seller would reduce the price, but it was sold instead...:-( I'm not particulary in love with the chairs you pictured, though, for any price. Something you love more will come along soon. Does that help you resist, BTW? :-)

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Pal, you are so funny!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

LOL, aklvdb. That article was funny, thanks for posting it.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I am cracking up at this thread! They are very interesting. I am trying to move things out so I would pass if you have no room, but them I am the queen of overanalyzing to the point my 5 and 2 year old keep putting their toys in my ripped sofa (which drop all the way to the bottom of the back and are nearly impossible to get out) and pulling out handfuls of stuffing :p

• jjam
    9 years ago

Love the article!

I don't want to count how many unused chairs I have right now.....

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

LOL. I love this website!!! That chair article was hilarious.
    I liked the chairs.
    If you are at hoarder-like capacity inside your home, don't buy the chairs. But those chairs ARE awesome. I recently spray-painted -gold- an old wooden dining chair I got for a buck at a garage sale, and placed it next to a -gold- shiny metal chest I also got at a (different) garage sale. Both were totally unnecessary, and the chair is in a room with other antique dining chairs that are too old to safely be sat on. So it's a room full of useless chairs, except for one newer glider and matching gliding stool. They're in front of a large fish tank and an ornate, gorgeous old wood bookshelf. I call it my sitting room, though you have to take your chances on 3 out of 4 chairs, lol.
    Did I mention I bought the chest knowing there wasn't a key? The lock was taped up. My kids ripped off the tape and locked it closed. Now it is truly useless. Oh well, it looks nice!!!!

Edit: I would agree that the chairs in question DO need new upholstery - that color is all wrong for that style and wood color. Not sure what would look good, though . . .

This post was edited by Queen-Gardener on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 11:26

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I have a chair problem, too! Luckily, I really have no room for them, so I just look and covet, but never buy.

Those are interesting chairs, but my first thought was

Does that help you want them less? :D

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

HAHAHHHHAAAA!!! LOL, I so agree, Errant!!! But I personally liked them because of that . . . I love nature, so anything that reminds me of it is a plus for me. Like I said, I love this website!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, I'm sort of drawn to them because of that, too, Queen.

And now I'm on CL looking for chairs. When what I really should be doing is trying to select a fabric for the two wing chairs I already have. Ugh.

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

Since they're one of a kind and you love them, I think you should get them! I would then get rid of some things- I do that so stuff doesn't build up.

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

oh, I see others have already suggested that. I should read responses before I respond, not after!

boop's story about her sofa reminded me of one we had in the seventies- our puppies tore out both sides and the stuffing and would actually walk through the sofa and pull it around the room. It was a very cheap sofa (was also horrible 70's plaid)

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Queen--
    You can take your chest to a locksmith and they will be able to open it and sell you a "key" so you can open it. Ask me how I know this:)

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I can't talk you out of it as I just this weekend bought two chairs that I don't need and will need some work. But they are comfortable.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kiwi, hahaha!!!! You are so funny. "But don't tell him why or he'll take it personally." Hahaha!!!

Jjam,I have some other low chairs (that I just bought off CL recently-- gulp) and they work, but that is good to keep in mind!

Kitchen, yes-- I have been thinking about where to put them!

Holly-Kay, I bet all 30 of your chairs are just gorgeous! I counted mine on the first floor, and I have 18 (!) and I am certain my house is not anywhere the size of yours so I should have even less. But, that does include 6 kitchen chairs and 7 for the dining room.

Pal, that is hilarious, and I think I can speak for fellow Chair Fans when I say we'd love to see pics!!

Akl, haha! Believe it or not, I posted that article here before, too! It is so funny and so true!

Fun, I am sorry for the loss of your coveted chair!

Queen, I am not at hoarder-like capacity WITHOUT the chairs, but with them, perhaps (on the first floor, anyway, but I would want them on the 1st floor). I'd love to see your findings!

Errant, hahaha!!! I bet that was actually close to the inspiration, believe it or not, but maybe a more stylized version, like this:
    {{!gwi}}

Nancy and Boop, one of the pluses of a sofa like that is no babysitting required!!

Marti, I'd love to see them!

Well, this is my plan. I am going to see them tonight, but I am bringing a pillow. IF they are actually comfortable with a pillow, then I'll get them. If not, I WILL walk away. I will, I will, I will . . .

Supposedly this kind of chair is comfortable (link below), though the measurements aren't exactly the same. This one was sold for $1800.

Oh, and I know some of you don't like the upholstery, but it goes with my new rug which I will be putting on the wall behind my sofa. It's busy, I know, but no one will see it from the front except when walking through the front door, which no one does.

Here is a link that might be useful: $1800 for this one

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

Now I feel inadequate. I only have 22 chairs in the whole house. That includes 2 office chairs and a piano bench.
    anele- You should get them. They are lovely and what's another 2 chairs in the greater scheme of things.
    Obviously, I need to go on CL.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Front entrance
    Bedroom
    Lonely living room corner

There is a place for those chairs. Buy them

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It's OK, sixty, I only have 19. If I don't count folding chairs or outdoor chairs.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Hmmm 19 is an odd number. Maybe just one more...

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Damn, look what I just found! All six for $125 :o

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

One King's Lane has Kilim covered George Smith chairs on sale. Just though I'd throw that out there.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Sweet Lord, Errant! Make like Witch Hazel and get those things!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

LOL I'm trying! They are near SO's work. But now he wants to know where I intend to put them. Men!

I told him he would just have to build me a cottage in the woods like Sochi's :D

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

Junco - had to ask: How do you know this? (I bet it's funny!)
    I know I can take it to a locksmith, but they already know me from locking myself out of 3 houses so far, so . . . it's a pride issue and a cost issue. I only paid 6 or 8 bucks for it . . .

Anele - So did you buy the chairs? I want to see them in front of that rug!!!!
    Sorry we didn't talk you out of them :-)
    They really do look like something you'd find on Antiques Roadshow on PBS.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Gah! I am now coveting these at a local auction place. Last time I wanted something from there the estimate as $300-500 adn it went for $3400. :( I hope that is not the case this time!

I really do need a table and chairs :)

They have this table too (of course a sep auction)

Do they look like they work together?

Have you ever bought chairs and then figured out the table later???

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Queen,
    Wish it was funny, but really just like your experience--bought an old steamer trunk at a yard sale. By the time I got it home, the latch had been pressed closed and no key came with it. So I put it back in the trunk of my car and drove to the locksmith--it wasn't much at all if I recall, but I certainly understand the pride issue! And mine was pretty big and I was planning to store old clothes in it so had to get it open.

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

I'll be no help to you. I just bought a craigslist chair for a hundred bucks. I drove 2 hours and 15 minutes to get it. BUT I liked it more than the two chairs I will get rid of so today I'm ahead. I do have my eye on another chair nearer here but it's out of my price range and the color does NOT work with what I have. I bought a 3 pc. sofa set a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm looking at new floor and an area rug. Was the 3 pc. set a real bargain if I "need" a new floor even if I only paid $80 for the set?

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

Errant-Those chairs are fabulous. I hope you get them.

• trailrunner
    9 years ago

anele and errant I sure am NO help...get those chairs ! In a 4 bedroom /4000 sq foot house I have 3 chairs upstairs...2 are antique Morris chairs that I found and one is a vintage oak office chair with 4 wheels. Downstairs I have a bench and 8 DR chairs in the DR, 1 chair in our bedroom that my great great great grandfather made, the 2 chairs in the sitting room and 2 chairs in the piano room and another vintage office chair in the kitchen by the fireplace,...so only 17 ! No more chairs..we only have 2 butts :) c

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I am so happy you found them Anele. They really are special and I rather like the upholstery and it will look smashing with your rug!

I won't be buying anymore chairs unless I replace some that I currently have but I love all of them but one which I am giving to DD because she likes it.

Trail, LOL, we only have two butts here too but at least there is never a shortage of a place to park one's self. Both of our dogs lay claim to the chairs that they prefer.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

My name is Schoolhouse, and I'm a chair addict.

I say buy the chairs,too.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are all the best. You really are!

Well, my story has a grumble, grumble ending. I told my husband about my chair plans, and he, of course, had to ask where I was going to put them . . .and he said eventually we'd have no room to walk but at least plenty of places to sit, haha! Anyway, and THEN he told me there was going to be a horrible storm tonight when I was supposed to be driving, so bad that the airport was cancelling their flights. Checked the radar and he wasn't making it up to keep me from those chairs!

So, I cancelled via email . . .and then called before my appt. to reschedule . . .they said they had sold them in the meantime.

And guess what? NOT A DROP HAS FALLEN FROM THE SKY.

I love being in the company of my fellow chair addicts!!! Thank you for sharing all of your stories!

(And Errant and Boop, I love it all . . .I say yes, yes, yes!)

And I was all set to get this someday, too!

This post was edited by anele on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 21:13

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

:-( !
    I feel sad.

Dumb chairs. Roman dining ALL.THE.WAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope.
    Still sad.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Nothing to add except some things are meant to be. And rewiring a lamp is really easy!!

• nhb22
    9 years ago

So sad that you didn't get them. Since you didn't, would you mind telling us how much those chairs advertised for?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I'm sorry you didn't get your chairs, Anele. They would have looked great with the rug, even if you didn't have a great place for them, yet.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Boop, I like the chairs a lot but the table not so much,..it seems too...clunky.

Sorry you missed out on the chairs, Anele.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

alas, they were cool chairs

oh well, now you don't have to worry about finding a spot!

• jjam
    9 years ago

Now you can keep looking! That's the most fun anyway :)

I'm going to look at a Wing Chair this morning and I almost hope I don't like it; then the hunt can continue!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh Anele, I am sorry. Honestly I think they were very expensive chairs and would have been a bargain. You will find other chairs that you love but I am still disheartened that it didn't work out for you. Chairs like that don't happen every day.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I agree Coll - I was thinking the same thing. I am going to go see the chairs tomorrow. I have no idea what table I would put with it. Maybe another thread. I just LOVE the looks of them.

I am dragging My dad and step mom around tomorrow :) They wanted to come for a visit. I am sure more to see the grandkids but whatever :) we are going to go see those chairs and a used Ethan Allen sectional that is a bit far away. They and DH have convinced me to go look at it.

Sorry about your chairs Anela. good luck tomorrow jjam! Too bad I can't ship you the pair by me :)

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

I like that table with the chairs, boopadaboo! Good luck with them!

Anele, too bad about those chairs - darn!! I was hoping for a happy, hilarious ending!!!!

This has been fun!!

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Oh anele, I'm sorry. But now you know their selling point so you can keep watching and spring when you see the right ones.

I posted the ones I bought on a thread that starts something like "help me brainstorm"

I wish I had thought to take pictures when I first brought them home. So when you find yours, take a picture immediately.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company