Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjam08

Help with new guest room....some fresh eyes needed!

jjam
9 years ago

I've been gathering attic furniture, CL stuff, and other homeless items into our daughter's former bedroom; now a guest room and place for her and her husband to stay.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a few projects and need some fresh eyes....

Here is the room now: (apologize for the poor lighting)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

So far, the room is painted EK Lichen. In the first photos it looks dark but is actually a soft green which adapts well to surroundings; looks cool or warm depending on what you put next to it. All other options are open, including painting furniture other than the bedside tables. DD wants roman shades on the windows. Here are the fabrics I have that could be used to cover the headboard, bedskirt, roman shades, and bench cushion. Pillows not the bed are from Target and can easily be returned.

Here are some closer shots of the pieces I have to work with:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

My initial thoughts are to use the print for the Roman Shades with the trim/tape. Then what for the bedskirt/headboard/shams/bench cushion? I have enough of each fabric to make any combination.

I haven't painted furniture in a long time but also know that the dark pieces aren't giving the room a fresh look that I would like. It's not a large space and just want it to be calm, soothing, and just a pleasant place to be!

Thanks in advance....I'm just OD-ing on decisions lately...WWYD?

Comments (19)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

My initial thoughts are that I'd use the sparkly fabric for the headboard and the patterned for the chair and bench cushions.

No bedskirt at all.

Definitely paint the furniture, although I think the chairs could stay. The '60's looking case, if you can take the boards off at the bottom that make it flush with the floor I think would update it a bit. And change the hardware on that one as well.

Wall color: BM Van Courtland Blue.

leave the blinds; maybe add just some sheer panels to soften the windows a bit.

Change the lamp shade to one more interesting.

• sc_irish
    9 years ago

Love the serenity of your colors and fabric selections. I do question, tho, the need for all the pieces of furniture - ie, the bench at the foot of the bed, the tufted green bench, plus the cute chair. I live by the 'keep it simple' when it comes to guest rooms. If that chair is covered with a needlepoint/petitepoint, do you really want to cover it?
    As to fabric uses, my first thought would be roman shades and dust ruffle in the print. The neutral 'dot-dash' for the headboard. I would eliminate the bench at the foot of the bed (if you're thinking luggage stand, get a real one to store in closet until needed). Do you need two substantial mirrors in that small an area? LOVE the bedside table and would suggest hanging light sconces above each (thus leaving the top of the wall tables free for clock, quest's objects, etc).
    You have a lovely start to a welcoming room.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks tibbrix and irish!

A few clarifications; paint color will stay. I agree that there may be too much furniture, so the bench at the end of the bed can go.

Also, don't need to cover/paint everything; just wondered which would be best do leave alone and which would benefit most from freshening up.

And yes, we plan to add wall mounted lamps.

Thank you for your thoughts so far!

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, and one more thing, definitely need a bedskirt. We added bed risers to utilize storage under the bed and it needs to be hidden.

Also agree; one bench is enough. Do you think the one along the wall is right?

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Definitely paint the sixties looking piece under the mirror...that has potential to look very updated with some paint...maybe a gloss cream/ soft white?

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just tried the linen dot-dash on the headboard, and it just kind of disappears on the wall. May not be a bad thing, but it definitely doesn't stand out.

coll, yes, I'm definitely leaning toward painting that piece; the finish is damaged anyway.

I also removed the chair and put the little bench in its place; already the room looks cleaner. Either piece; the chair or small bench, could stay, but not both.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I was just going to ask you how that dot dash fabric looked against the wall color. I think the headboard needs to be darker or lighter than the wall...maybe just leave it as is and use the lighter fabrics on the bed.

I agree, you don't need just the chair and the bench. I would consider painting the chair if you keep that- I have seen a lot of chippendale style chairs like that painted lately. I don't think I'd paint the bench.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks coll, the headboard is covered now in an olive microfiber; not my fave but it might be fine once everything else is in place.

Would you think the ticking stripe could work instead?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I love the wall color and your fabrics! Agree there is far too much furniture in the room. My opinions:

Would put the bench with high sides at the foot of the bed if and only if it is really sturdy.

Would take out the piece currently at the foot of the bed entirely.

Use only one of the wall hung tables and push bed closer to wall (leaving enough room to get in on that side and make bed).

Use other wall hung table under mirror. The rectangular piece under it now is not apropos of anything and I wouldn't use it, as they can't unpack in it and the shape/appearance is not pleasing. It also seems an impediment coming into the room.

Chair in opposite corner of room from current location, floor lamp beside it?

Headboard and small pillows in the second burlap-ish fabric
    Roman shades in floral with that small strip of trim vertically along both sides
    Would not do dust ruffle, not enough space
    High sided bench in stripe
    Chair in floral piped with aqua trim fabric.

Love all your choices!!!!!

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks so much kswl. I agree with so much of what you said. Unfortunately, the practicality of the situation interferes in a couple of instances.

DD requested that both she and her DH have a night table/surface, and that they have enough room to walk around the bed. We used to have things the way you suggested, with the bed closer to the window, but I can see why both of them would want a surface to set things down, etc.

A bedskirt is essential; storage under the bed is necessary and needs to be hidden.

DD also nixed the idea of the high sided bench at the end of the bed; thinking she or her DH would probably trip over it!

Agree also about the limited function of the rectangular piece; but it is there primarily because it is shallow; only 18" deep. Anything deeper isn't a possibility. It is a piece of my mom's that could be painted; but I'm still open to ditching it if I could find something else. DD also said she could use it as a place to do hair/makeup if we used the mirror there. It also does provide some storage; if we eliminate it there is nothing that could store anything in there except the closet.

Hence the reason for the larger bench; it could be used for setting down a suitcase or sitting down.

I really appreciate your ideas about how/where to use fabrics. The roman shades with trim are a definite; still up for debate would be the bedskirt, headboard (or leave that as is), and bench cushion.

I appreciate your thoughts and am somewhat encouraged that I may be on the right track.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I like the idea of the ticking fabric on the headboard, but do you think the buttons would do weird things with the stripes? I don't know enough about tufted upholstery to know that- maybe google it and see if you can find an example of how that would look.

I agree that a chest of drawers would be more functional- but when I go to visit anyone I just use my suitcase as a portable drawer- I never unpack anything...I guess I am lazy that way!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

that's why i suggested Van Courtland for the walls, in order to provide more contrast for the fabrics you've chosen!

If you're going to keep the wall color, then I'd pick different fabrics with more contrast to the wall, i.e.: go the opposite of what I had suggested re: the van courtland blue for the walls.

I'd keep both the bench and that little bench and remove the chairs. Put the long bench at the foot of the bed for people to sit on, and stick the little one a few inches from the wall in some spot for people to put their suitcases on.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, tried a new piece in place of the vintage 60's cabinet.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I think it's obviously better....will need to find something to replace it in my FR but the size is better in the BR too.

I also took out both the small bench and the chair. If I eliminate both of them I would be able to place folding luggage racks in their place and they would probably be more useful. I placed a small lamp on the wall mounted table just to add some light in the corner; hopefully when the wall mounted lamps are in it will look a little brighter.

Now, the question is, whether to leave the bench alone or cover it? I tried out a couple of fabrics; WDYT?

Current bench fabric:

{{!gwi}}

tweed style linen:

{{!gwi}}

ticking stripe:

{{!gwi}}

Then, if I figure out all of that, (with your help of course) the dust ruffle and headboard question should be a snap!
    Thanks all.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

coll, agree about the tufting in the headboard interfering with stripes. If I used that I would just slipcover the headboard and use a solid piece. Also wondering if I use it for the bench if a solid cushion might be best.

WDYT?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I think you're making really good use of existing pieces and new finds to accommodate the people who will use the room--- that's not easy!

I'd use your floral fabric for the roman shades and bed skirt, if you plan to do a gathered dust skirt. If you use the stripe material, I would do a more tailored box pleated skirt and get inch or inch and a half grosgrain ribbon in the trim fabric aqua to run around the bottom of the skirt about an inch up from the hem. That is a nice detail that makes a huge difference in a bed skirt. And still use floral and trim fabric for roman shades.

If you keep the rectangular piece I would paint it, maybe a little bolder green (but not much) than the walls. It seems to suit the space size better than the one in the latest pic.

• rgps
    9 years ago

Like the furniture changes. I would leave the headboard and bench just as they are until you change out everything else. Then if it doesn't work you can change them out but I like the dark green in both pieces as they are. I think they will work with the new fabrics you have chosen.

• voila
    9 years ago

What are you using for a duvet cover and pillow shams? I have to admit that I'm sitting here giggling-your DD is married and gone, but is still dictating your home decorating. Yeah, I have a DD too. If she lives close, no need to sleep over. If she lives far away, she won't be back too often. I like kswl's idea to trim the striped fabric if you use it for the bed skirt. You need a little more blue in the room.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I would leave everything as you have it now, since you moved in the new storage piece. I would use the ticking stripe for the windows. Perhaps the same for the headboard. If you are wanting to use the floral fabric I would use it on the bedskirt. You do not have to upholster the headboard. I think it looks just fine as it is. I see no need to paint anything, unless you really want to.

I like the ticking stripe for the bench. Very nice room! I would be happy to stay at your house!

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. I decided to put the ticking stripe on the bench (upholsterer picked it up yesterday). He removed the seat entirely, leaving the frame here, so I could paint/distress it if I want. That's the only piece I would paint, and think it could look great if it had more of a grey/distressed finish. I haven't done that yet, and I know AS chalk paint is all the rage, but after browsing around a big flea mkt and consignment store last weekend, I was seeing that look over and over again.....some of it looked kind of cheap. So I'll think about that one before going forward. The look I would want is more of a grey weathered finish; (a la Restoration Hardware) and don't want it to look amateurish.

Also decided to go with the print on the roman shade and the bedskirt; then will use the nubby linen and stripe for accent pillows, cording, etc. I am going to start working on those projects today; or, at least, that is the plan, lol.

Voila, after reading one of my responses I see what you mean! But it honestly hasn't been like it may sound. One of the goals I had before beginning this project (revamping two daughter's rooms into guest rooms for them and their spouses) was to get their ideas and create a space where they would feel welcome and comfortable. Before getting started in this room, we had a large sleigh bed, tall bookshelves, a high backed bench, a large nightstand, and full drapes. Way too much oversized furniture, tons of books, memorabilia, etc., and no room for two people to organize their belongings and feel at home.

I recall many long drives to my mom's house (14 hours in a minivan with 3 kids) and while I treasure those visits; it was a little disheartening to arrive exhausted and stressed, to a room (my old BR) to share with DH that still had a small bed with a rock hard mattress, non working AC, dressers and other useless pieces stuffed with
    extra clothing, etc. Don't get me wrong; We all loved my mom and still treasure each and every visit, but agree that it would have been nice to have a comfortable room.

My MIL, on the other hand, always had a welcoming and stress-free space, and that is what I would love to create.

Travel is harder than ever now, and I know when I arrive in someone's home I am grateful for every little detail devoted to our comfort! All of the kids were here last weekend and I asked for their ideas. I was happy they spoke up and let me know what was important to them.

I hope I didn't give the impression that DD was demanding certain things; it really wasn't that at all, just a conversation about what would make them comfortable. Most were suggestions, and of course they are happy with anything we do to create a pleasant space for them, as well as for anyone else who pays us a visit.

I'm encouraged and excited about the room so far and appreciate your comments and suggestions. Now to get started sewing......