Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaches1980

Problems with new Shutters

beaches1980
10 years ago

We just had our HD Palm Shutters installed this week. 3 of the smaller windows look great, its the 2 larger windows that we think there is an issue with.

- The 3 smaller windows are single panel and have a z-frame. They look great and are functional.

- The 2 larger windows were not designed with a z-frame, so there is a decent size gap surrounding the windows. Very odd, they look unfinished, and let light in around the frame of the shutters.
-The hardware is exposed
-The bi-fold doors pop open, and are tricky to close. They seem really cheap.

We paid a lot for these shutters and expected a lot more. So I'm hoping there is someone on this forum that can tell me if we are just being picky or if this is really a bad design.

We bought these HD Shutters through a large store, so I have 100% confidence that they will ensure our satisfaction.

Please excuse these pictures, they are bad quality, but they do show the gaps around the frame.

This post was edited by beaches1980 on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 9:58

Comments (23)

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Exposed hardware

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    10 years ago

more exposed hardware at the top. Sorry the pictures are so dark.

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Example of one of the smaller windows that looks good. Notice the z-frame around the shutters, and there are no gaps.

Thanks in advance for any input.

This post was edited by beaches1980 on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 10:00

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I do not think you are being picky. If you look at google images of shuttered windows, they do not have gaps like yours. I would not be happy with those at all.
    I think you need call the store where you purchased them

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Are the larger shutters, which appear to be two to a window, supposed to be able to open at the center so they can be folded on that pivot hardware back against the wall on either side? I ask because the hardware installed seems to be for that purpose.

If you never intend to fold the shutters back, as it appears with the narrow ones on the small windows, which look as though just the slats would move up and down for light control, why would they be installed differently?

They need space both at top and bottom, and at the sides to be folded back. If that wasn't your intention, and you intend to have the shutters cover the windows at all times, then I would ask them to re-install as the did the narrow ones. Was there an installation contract which specified the larger windows would be installed differently?

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

I don't understand what is going on with the center top ...

I've been googling everywhere to find that type of installation
    used on interior shutters .None to be found.
    I don't know why they had to use the pivot type hinge .

You're not being picky.. I consider them to be unacceptable .

I'm very interested to know what their answer is when you ask
    them why that type of install was used ..

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your replies so far. Its good to know that we aren't the only ones who think these shutters look weird.

The 2 larger windows, have both been installed with 2 to a window each, opening kinda like closet bifold doors. They slide open, but don't fold over. There is no pivot hardware. That is not what I wanted, but I could deal with it if they at least looked nice closed, and if they would actually stay closed.

I also don't have an installation contract, but I know the store we bought them from will refund us 100%. I do feel confident in that at least.

I will keep you posted on what they say. We have a call into our sales person, and are waiting to hear back...probably not until Monday.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

So it's installed as if to be a bifold doors with the track on top ?
    Never seen that on plantations...
    Here's a pic of 4 panels on one window.
    I'm sure there will be a resolve ...Good luck to ya !!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I see what I called a pivot is actually a pin type thing that allows them to slide in a track to open. It will be interesting to see what they come up with, since to open them, you do need a bit of space for them to slide. Was there a display in the store that showed ones that open like that?

I just Googled them and looked through some pics til I came to this one linked below. You can see a gap on the sides of these, too. It's not as obvious as yours as there is lots of light on the inside as well as outside in the pic.

Note how the pics (scroll ahead to 22 of 28) have the corners where the hardware is hidden in the photos, or the black bar at the bottom is places JUST right to conceal them Sneaky!

Here is a link that might be useful: Image of HD shutters like yours

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you again for your replies, and thanks for the links & pictures. You guys are awesome!

I never did see a display, we had a rep at our place to measure and we picked from a catalogue. We have real wood shutters on our main floor, and I said I wanted the new ones to open like them. I never thought there would be any other way to open them.

The odd thing about the large windows install, is that the side window is installed correctly next to it, so I can easily compare and see the difference.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

My shutters have the same hinges as forboystoo. They fold back as they are even with the trim. The hardware you have looks like what is used for doors, not windows.

Other than cleaning, I can't remember folding back my shutters.

Have them done right, you deserve right.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of the shutters I have on one of my fairly large windows. They have hinges directly in the frame of the windows. No gaps when they are closed. They do not sit in tracks. That hardware appears to be causing your gaps.

Poor pictures taken with iPad.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Open.

Hope this helps.

I would have them changed.

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Red- thanks for posting your pictures. Your shutters look perfect. May I request a picture with them closed as well, please? I want to be able to show this to our rep.

Also, do you have trouble closing the shutters? The doors pop open, and its a pain to close them.

Thank you so much!!

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Red- thanks for posting your pictures. Your shutters look perfect. May I request a picture with them closed as well, please? I want to be able to show this to our rep.

Also, do you have trouble closing the shutters? The doors pop open, and its a pain to close them.

Thank you so much!!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Here's a picture closed. No trouble shutting them although I don't open and close them daily.

They don't pop open. There are strong magnets at the bottom of the tiny frame on each side of the window and a small metal piece on the bottom of each side of the shutters that hold the shutters in place once closed.

{{!gwi}}

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"They have hinges directly in the frame of the windows"

Do you mean they are permanently recessed/chiseled into the window frame, as a door is?

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Snookums-- like this. The hinge is not imbedded into the frame like a door frame. It's just installed on the window frame. And you can see the tiny frame they also installed for the shutter to rest against when closed.

In the middle, bottom area of the frame are the 2 small magnets.

This is a different window than the other pictures. Since it's smaller, I was able to get a picture of the hinge, the frame and the magnet.

You can also see a tiny hole that I need to fill above the hinge that was left by a company that put shutters on and didn't do a good job. I had them take them off and ordered them from someone else.

Not just anyone can do a good job on plantation shutters. Like the OP, I found out the hard way. Don't pay for them until you are satisfied.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Picture of bigger window with closed shutters.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Thanks for the detail, Red.

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thought I would post an update:

HD is replacing my shutters!! So happy.

My rep came out to see the windows and was really shocked with the product. So in 8 weeks or so, my windows should be fixed up.

Thanks for providing feedback!!! (hopefully the new ones are better).

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

So glad for you Beaches. I love plantation shutters.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Beaches, thank you so much for posting an update! They'll look great, and isn't nice when the rep steps up for you and you get a happy outcome :)