Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjam08

What would you pay for this?

jjam
9 years ago

This Southwood wing chair showed up on our CL yesterday.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I have an appointment to see it tomorrow, asking $300. There are tons of wing chairs on CL that are going for a song; $25, 30.

The fabric looks amazing, and I know Southwood is a good brand, but I wonder just how good?? Would I be better off to buy a new one, cheap, and reupholster it?

What would be a fair price to offer, assuming it's in good condition, no odors, etc.?

Comments (39)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

It's worth $300 or more unless the frame is loose.

There are wingchairs, and there are wingchairs. Probably some of the $25 ones aren't worth even that.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks pal, any tips for testing the frame? A furniture buyers version of kicking the tires??

The seller says it has seen little use. The only thing I would know to do is to sit in it and move around a bit, and see if it feels solid.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If it feels solid it's fine. If it's been in that bedroom, it probably rarely got sat in. The chair in my parents' bedroom got the pillows from the bed put on in every night and my mother sat there sometimes to put on a pair of shoes--but no one actually sat in it for any length of time. That's probably the case here.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh my, that is a lovely chair. Look at how crisp the welting is on it. I would pay $300 in a heart beat for that. Pal's statement that "there are wingchairs, and then there are wingchairs" is spot on.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Is that a smudge on the fabric?

The fabric is gorgeous. You would easily pay $300 for a new reupholstery job on even a free chair, so if you like the fabric and it's in great condition, the price is good. I'm all for bargaining, so maybe I'd just ask if that's their best price.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The seller mentioned that there is no smudge, but a shadow from the camera.

I will likely offer a little less but it helps to know that it's probably still worth what they are asking if they say no.

Not sure there are as many wing chair buyers out there as you would think, based on the number that are literally being given away.

Now I have to decide if I REALLY want it, of course. CL is dangerous!!

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

CL is really dangerous. I am having a chair dilemma myself this morning!

How long has it been posted?

And yes, there are so many wing chairs. I bought one that needs to be reupholstered-- it is literally about 90 years old . . .but I adored the legs. If I could find the exact fabric I would have it redone in the same way.

This is mine:

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, anele, that is a gorgeous chair!!

I even kind of like the worn in look of the fabric.

I will keep this in mind when I look at the chair tomorrow; finding a great frame isn't impossible.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Jjam - I don't "know" fabric, but that looks like high-end designer fabric.

My3dogs or Annie might be familiar with the fabric.

Like Pal said, more than likely, it has been sat in very little. I like that chair and I don't even like wing chairs :).

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Anele, I love your chair! I love to imagine the history behind pieces that I buy. I bought a darling cherry end table last weekend that still had a few old pages from a newspaper from Philadelphia in it's top drawer. It was dated March of 56 or 57. I told DH the paper is staying in that drawer as it has been part of the table for many years.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tuesday, I think you're right. And I'm not sure I am a wing chair person either, but dang, that fabric looks like schumacher or similar.

Trying not to get too excited but am thinking I could become a wing chair person if it looks as good IRL as in the photos.

I haven't bought retail in so long (and of course no one actually pays retail) but am thinking maybe 2K for that chair new? Or am I exaggerating?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I think it is fabulous, and Southwood is a very good brand. You would pay several thousand dollars for that chair new. Reupholstering a cheap one would cost $60 minimum for similar fabric, probably 7 yards of it, and $350 to upholster. Ypu are better off with this one if you love the fabric.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I love the one you found and the fabric is lovely!!!!!

I did a quick search on my CL for Southwood. I need more rooms or to go to that thread about too many chairs is OK. :)

A pair for $200.

{{!gwi}}

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kswl, thanks, and I thought of you when I saw this chair. I've always admired your style so appreciate your thoughts.
    I think comfort will be the deciding factor. A chair like that will become a museum piece; dust collector, if it's not comfortable.

boopadoo, wow, I love the one you posted from your CL; and a PAIR for 200?? Are you kidding me???

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Boop, I want those chairs!

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

if anyone is in the Northern Jersey area here is the link.....

Here is a link that might be useful: CL southwood chairs

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I did get the chair. I knew the minute I saw it that I had to buy it. Bargained a little and the price was $250. It takes my LR in a more formal direction and would love any advice about how to proceed with accessories, pillows, etc. I really don't want a "formal" living room and like to mix things up.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The photos make things look more spacious for some reason; was wondering if the etagere needs to find a new home; not much room to walk behind the chair if you need something on a shelf, plus it blocks the view of it:

Here is a view of the other corner. Can you tell I have a thing for chinoiserie??

{{!gwi}}

Speaking of which, I love chinoiserie but also wonder if this puts me over the line, as in over doing it. I have an asian lamp (another just like it in the foyer), a chinese rug, this chair, and the screen over the piano. With this piece in, does one of the other elements need to go?

Thanks in advance all, overall I'm very happy with the purchase and appreciate your advice. Like Pal said, sometimes you really can't say no!

PS: Good Luck boopadoo; are you looking at the pair of Southwood chairs tomorrow?

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

You've done a great job mixing different elements. I wouldn't remove anything.

• loribee
    9 years ago

Perfect! Great find. Love the whole room...

• teeda
    9 years ago

Wow, I LOVE that chair. It's perfect in your room. I don't think its too formal at all. Keep your accessories less formal and it will be fine. I love your home--you have great taste!

• bostoned
    9 years ago

The room is well put together. I really like the painting by your new chair. Any chance of getting a closer shot of it?

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

That's a gorgeous chair and I think worth every penny you paid. You'll have it forever. If you have an outlet on the wall with the etagere I would try finding a lamp to put on it so you get light in that corner. It's a beautiful room.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

If that chair will be comfortable for reading, then what maybe needs to be added is an ottoman type of side table that you can pop in front of the chair when you want to put your feet up.

• springroz
    9 years ago

That is beautiful!! I would repeat the blue and yellow stripe in the painting. Use it as trim on pillows, etc.

• andee_gw
    9 years ago

The chair is perfect for your living room. Is that a little curio box above the piano next to the large asian scene? I would move that to where the etagere is, and find something smaller (console table or bookcase) to go under it. Move the wing chair back a bit and fix the lamp placement to be more of a reading lamp for that chair. And can you put a tall, slender plant on the wall behind the sofa? The corner looks a little bare.

I remember when "we" worked on the piano in your LR. The whole room is so nice.

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

That's a beauty! Your room is the perfect setting for that chair. Beautiful room.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful find and a great price.
    Congratulations.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful find and a great price.
    Congratulations.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate your kind words and suggestions so much. I can unequivocally say this is the finest upholstered piece I've ever owned, and I appreciate the details more now that I've had time to really look at them. It's just visually stunning, and I don't usually say that about upholstery. Whoever made this chair was a craftsman and proud of his/her work.

Eroz, here is a closer look at the painting:

{{!gwi}}

andee, thanks for your suggestions. And you have a good memory; the GWers were responsible for my LR "turning the corner" I think Les was the one who suggested the placement for the piano, and it has made such a difference! All of you were so patient and helpful with that process. I think I am going to move the etagere out and try the wall shelf there as you suggested. I have a nice low chest upstairs that is sort of MCM/asian and it would look nice and streamlined. I feel like a little "less is more" may be in order in that corner so the chair can have a little space and nothing to distract the eye.

I feel with just a little more tweaking here and there, my LR is nearly complete, and I really love it. All of you have given me such good advice; between several coffee tables, chairs, drapes, etc., it's been a process, LOL!

Time for a break from CL, I'm just going to enjoy my chair for now. But I'm happy to weigh in on any other "finds" posted here! Thanks again for all your help.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

How absolutely stunning. Your room is so gorgeous that it makes mine feel dark and dreary..

I am so glad you got that beautiful chair. It seems to have been made for your room. I remember your room when you were tweaking the coffee table and I believe you had a cane tub chair that you were considering?

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yep, holly-kay, you are right; I had two cane barrel back chairs that I was all set to upholster, and then the coffee tables showed up on CL and they were calling me, too!

Turned out the two weren't a good marriage; the chairs sat too low for the coffee tables, and the tables won out.

So happy I didn't keep those chairs; they were cool but just not "it". I think this was what the room needed all along!

Thanks for your kind words. I could never have figured out this room without all the help here.

• bostoned
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting a picture of the painting! I love the casual scene of someone strolling by a fruit stand, and how your eye is immediately drawn to the blue and yellow striped awning. It's unexpected and looks great in your room (along with the chair).

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

jjam, I'm lusting after your rug. I don't suppose it's new?

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi lov_mkitchen, thanks for noticing my rug; it was my mom's, so not new. But not that old either; I think she got it in the late 70s. It's a Chinese design but made in India as I recall.

She got it from a rug store in our Chicago neighborhood that was closing, and it was one of just a very few rugs he had left. I loved it the minute I saw it and talked her into getting it, so she kindly gave it to me when she sold her home and moved into a small apartment. It's one of my favorite things :)

• peegee
    9 years ago

Chair envy! Just soooo stunning, like it has been waiting for you! RE: your questioning of the etegere...just a thought...should you decide you don't like it there as it is, what if you painted it the color of the wall so it would blend in better but still provide display opportunities.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Oh jjam, that chair looks as though it was custom made for your living room. You couldn't have done any better! You know I have a yen for your gorgeous yellow and white large check silk curtains, and this chair is PERFECT for them--- and everything else! You've got the perfect touches of chinoiserie throughout the room and hall, some are features most people would not even notice, so you're in no danger of going over the top with it. I love this new iteration of your room!!

What happened to your LaBarge brass and glass cocktail table?

• bbstx
    9 years ago

What is one step beyond chair envy? Chair lust? That chair is fabulous! Our CL only has things like Budweiser bean bag chairs! [sigh]

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

peegee, hadn't thought of painting the etagere to blend in with the wall; that's a good suggestion. I was thinking of painting it black with gold if anything, but now am thinking more and more of just removing it. I'm going to try that first; probably later today.

kswl, thanks so much. It's funny you mention the drapes; if anything, they are the only thing not totally getting along with the new chair. Pattern scale is perfect but the yellows come from different worlds. Chair reads almost an iridescent yellow/leaning chartreuse, and the drapes lean more butterscotch/not lemony at all, especially at night. This chair is so cool that it transcends the "do these fabrics go together" question, but I may experiment with a pillow/throw on the chair or couch that could mellow the difference. Any ideas for making those two shades look "intentional" ?

Your memory is amazing....I did have a LaBarge (I think) coffee table but sold it on CL a few months ago. The two tables there now took its place. The La Barge was gorgeous too but we like the higher profile of these and the shelf underneath. The couch is new and also sits up a bit higher, so we found these much more comfortable to use.

In the past I would have stored the old LaBarge but I'm entering a new phase; no more storing stuff unless it's virtually priceless!
    It has been hard in a way but overall feels better to let things go if they're not being used and enjoyed. My attic is a nasty place and things don't exactly thrive up there.

Are you enjoying your gorgeous new lower level? Notice I didn't say "basement", lol!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

JJam, I loved the cane chairs but IKWYM about them sitting low. I loved yours so much that I was determined to find a pair of my own. I was finally successful several weeks ago at our wonderful consignment shop. I am using them in my office at my business. The scale is too small for me to use them in my home unless I use them in my foyer when I finally retire. I will need to reupholster them when I bring them home.

I have to say that your gorgeous room is one of my favorites! Thank you so much for another glimpse of it.