Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbtexan

How to redesign this sofa

Silvey Marshall
9 years ago

I've posted these pics before, but now I have another decision to make. I'm having this loveseat reupholstered and practically rebuilt for around $200. Couldn't resist that deal since this is a high quality loveseat. He's coming tomorrow!

The chairs which measure 19" from the floor to the top of the cushions dwarf the loveseat which measures 17". The chairs curve up to a height of 39" and the loveseat is about 4" shorter.

The "new" loveseat will not have a skirt, the arms will be cut down to a smaller roll and taller legs will be used.

Here's the problem: I'm already breaking rules by having high-backed furniture in a room with 8' ceilings. And I don't want to ruin this loveseat by making it match the chairs. I can't feature how it will look with taller legs and no skirt (it currently has 4" legs and the chairs are 5"). It seems odd. I thought about placing a sofa table and lamps behind it, but that would probably make the ceilings look even lower.

So....short of selling these chairs on Craig's List, what would you do?

Comments (19)

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's one of the chairs...

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

By the way, the room is large, so the furniture doesn't seem crowded.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

If it's a quality love seat as you say, then the legs are probably integral to the frame and not something just screwed in. So in that case, I sure wouldn't mess with taller legs and risk making a solid piece of furniture less solid. I am so over super tall ceilings and massive furniture - but that's me. And I see nothing so massive about your furniture that it makes the ceiling look too low - but again that's me and of course I'm not there in your space. I hope palimpest chimes in on this with thoughts on scale. It looks like a lovely room to me.

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your reassurance about the ceilings. It was built in 1951 and is what it is. I plan to refinish the floors and add an area carpet. The legs have to be changed out because there will be no skirt and the legs don't look good.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

DLM, I agree. The room is very beautiful. I am not averse to high ceilings but I also have no problem with the standard 8' ceilings.

The legs should be an integral part of the loveseat's frame so I wouldn't mess with it. However if the legs are indeed screw ins then you could easily replace the legs. I just can't picture the loveseat with legs and no skirt. I hope Pal takes a look at this post because he will know for sure if it would look right.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I LOVE your chairs! If you get rid of them let me know! ;)

Is there a reason for not having a skirt?

Love your room and don't think your furniture is too large or tall for 8ft ceilings.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I don't think the chairs dwarf the sofa. At the very least....wait until your love seat is reupholstered to get rid of the chairs...without a skirt and exposed legs it may appear taller...and maybe beef up the cushion to the same thickness as the chair cushions.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Could you just put brass casters on the sofa to raise it an inch?

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I moved one of the chairs around so you can see the problem with the low loveseat. I do agree with all your comments about keeping the skirt, so I will do that, but as you can see in the photo, the chairs make the loveseat look undersized. A friend and I placed magazines under the legs to raise it a little and that was an improvement. I'm wondering if I should compromise with the height--not as tall as the chairs--or not. What do you think?

aktillery, I still have the store tags on the chairs because I'm not at peace yet about keeping them. But....if I can integrate them into the decor, I'll keep them. I have a beautiful mushroom fabric which coordinates with the darker design on the chairs. Will need another yard to make the skirt.

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joanie, just saw your post. I wouldn't make yet another baaaad decision by selling the chairs too quickly. You could be right about going skirtless giving an appearance of height. However, there is only so much cutting down on the arms that he can do and I still have problems visualizing an overstuffed loveseat with exposed legs.... kind of like my figure... bigger top on spindly legs.

Hey, I was also thinking about a single bench cushion. I guess that would mean converting it to an undivided back pillow. Hmm...

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Unless you plan to have the room arranged with the love seat and sofa side by side like that I don't think it's a problem ! I like pal's idea of the brass casters and that bumps your height probably 1.5". Before you scrap the legs, can you lift the skirt and take a picture? If they're unfinished they can be sanded and stained. If they look too blocky, they can be slightly shaped. Unless they are knotty 2 x 4's I'm betting there is a fix and your miracle working upholsterer can probably manage it. You could also have a more relaxed skirt fall from just beneath the cushion which is a little less stuffy and along with the reshaped arms would transform the look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterfall sofa skirt

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dim2000, oh, I do like the waterfall skirt. With the way the sofa is configured, I wonder if it will work turning the corner around to the side? Here's the photo of the leg. It's very thin at only 5" around. By comparison, the blocky leg on the chairs is 10" at the top.

What do you think of the bench cushion idea?

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I'd get chunkier legs and go skirtless...but that's just me....I don't like skirts.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I am a furniture "mover arounder..from room to room". Right now I have a sofa with a skirt and chairs without skirts in the same room. I do not like it at all. I have debated on taking the skirt off the couch but haven't figured out an easy way to do it. So that being said, I think you should not have a skirt on your couch since you do not have one on the chairs. I like the idea of the casters on your couch or even bigger legs but definitely no skirt. Since your chairs are not near the couch, I think you will be fine but I would certainly look into taller legs/casters after it is upholstered. Will be a pretty room.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

DO NOT expose the legs on the loveseat. Use taller legs under the skirt, but to make the loveseat seem not so squat, do a waterfall skirt detail. Not sure what your guy can do with the arms on the sofa.

Are you sure you don't want 4 of the same chairs for the room?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love skirted pieces as to me they look dressier. Pal has a great idea to do casters and I'm with DLM, if the chairs are not directly beside the loveseat the different height won't matter. I love the look that Beverly posted with the waterfall skirt and a single bench cushion.

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly, four of the same chairs is exactly what I wanted but I spent months trying to find four comfortable chairs that wouldn't cost $4,000 to $5,000 until I finally gave up and opted to make use of what I had.

I really like that second sofa in the photo and that's what I envision for mine. I'm not sure he can get the arms quite that small, but close, I hope.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

The trouble with asking for opinions here is that we all have them!!! And they'll all be different :-/
    If you google images of sofa waterfall skirt you'll see there are different ways to do that
    I have a rolled arm sofa with a skirt and chairs without skirts in my living room. Unlike grandmaof3 it doesn't bother be a bit that they are not the same. The sofa is also a bench cushion (my personal preference) with 2 back cushions, so obviously I'm not going to tell you it has to have an undivided back pillow! In fact I think that would be a mistake.

I'm picturing a waterfall skirt, keep the same legs you have now but add the brass casters and let the skirt skim the top of the casters - pretty little shoes that show peeking out from the skirt.

• Silvey Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love, love, love these ideas! Although opinions differ, this has been very helpful! I'm leaning toward the second sofa in the photo above, skirted with casters. Gosh, the fabric even looks like my chairs.

I'll post a photo when it's all done....unless my guy says "Nope, can't do it." ;>)