Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lori316_gw

My weekend project, inspired by Franksmom

lori316
12 years ago

Franksmom was gifted an old Lane cedar chest (see the link for the thread below). The pictures in that thread really inspired me to find my own hidden treasure, and the next day or two, I found this at my local thrift shop (sorry about the cell phone quality:

I planned to follow the inspiration pictures from Franksmom's thread, paint it white with glass knobs/pulls and use it as a buffet/sideboard. I had the perfect spot for it in my dining room.

Then I realized if I went with more of an off-white/cream color, it would match my kitchen cabinets. This is the only picture I have of my cabinets right now, which was a close-up to show the knobs:

So I changed directions, made my own chalk paint (easy & cheap) and color matched the cabinets. I decided it would go between my kitchen and living room and be used in the same way a sofa table would. Eh...didn't love it there. It was too big for the spot.

So my DH came up with this idea and we're happy:

Ignore the "sticks" to the left that my 7 yr old thought was a good design option. About an hour after we moved it into place, friends came by that had never seen the house and the furniture was the first thing they complimented us on, not knowing we had just placed it there.

It's a huge piece. To give you an idea, I think that TV is 58 inches (??). I removed the mirros and will use them for another project. The right door also needs to be re-adjusted to fit better.

We put knobs on it that match those kitchen cabinets, but kept the original pulls. For $24.99, we're very happy with how it turned out.

Franksmom, I truly hope you don't mind I "borrowed" your idea. You inspired me :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration link

Comments (24)

• jlj48
    12 years ago

Really, really pretty! Love it! It is perfect holding your tv. How did you make the chalk paint?

• lori316
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Joanie. The directions to make chalk paint are at the link below. I used the paint I already had, which had been matched to the cabinets for another project. I used the third option on the website below (Plaster of Paris) because it was the cheapest and I'm...well....cheap. I will say, though, if you decide to do it, don't scimp on the Plaster of Paris. It's what makes it so versitile. Add water if it's too thick.

No sanding, no priming. Paint, distress...done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make your own chalk paint.

• jlj48
    12 years ago

Thanks Lori! I just checked out the site and I have to say I like YOUR piece better than the piece they show on the site. It sounds like a great way to update something that it outdated but you can't seem to part with. Thanks for sharing.

• maddielee
    12 years ago

It looks wonderful!

I was just going to ask if anyone had made the chalk paint. I'm glad to hear that the homemade works!

ML

• celticmoon
    12 years ago

Looks great! I am seeking something like that to use just that way.

Tell us about making the chalk paint.. I've read about making milk paint but not chalk paint.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

That turned out really good!!

tina

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

That is absolutely fabulous!! Of course I don't mind!

My piece has those same pulls, and I love them! They've oxidized into a wonderful mottled patina with bits of green. I love old hardware, and really, the scale of them is just right for a piece that size. I think a glass pull would be pretty, but would be lost in the weight of a piece that size.

I had many other projects get in the way, and actually just yesterday got the first coat of paint on. I can't stop looking at it, because it just looks so much better, and so different. I think when it's lightened up and all of that dark graininess of the wood is gone, all of the details of the trim and carving just shine. My piece should be done in the next day or two.

I have a few questions about the chalk paint. Does adding the plaster change the drying time or the leveling of the paint? Did you get that finish in one coat?! Did you use a glaze? If so, did the glaze want to cling to the chalk paint more than it would a regular latex?

Congrats on a great find! Did your DH think you were nuts?

• tinycastles
    12 years ago

That is perfect for a large flat screen. Job well done! I really like the piece now that you have painted it cream.

• fluffybutt
    12 years ago

I love it!!!

• mjsee
    12 years ago

The old 60's/70's dressers really do make WONDERFUL bases for flat-screen televisions!

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    12 years ago

Excellent job - I love it!

• dakota01
    12 years ago

OMG - This looks like my sisters old bedroom piece...

You did a beautiful job!

• cia1953
    12 years ago

OMG!

That's what I said when I scrolled down and saw the finished piece! How beautiful and absolutely inspiring....I'm going shopping as soon as I can! :-) You did a great, great job!!

• lori316
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the good feedback :) I appreciate the comments.

Franksmom, OMG...LOL...He TOTALLY thought I was nuts! When I bought it, I paid for it to hold it, but I needed his truck to bring it home. I was so excited about it, so he was expecting this gorgeous piece. You should have seen his face when he saw it. Funnny! He didn't even want it in the truck. He loves it now.

The homemade chalk paint: I used less than a pint of paint on the whole thing. I love BM paints, but I wanted to use something cheaper, since I got the bureau so cheap, so I used up most of a can of Behr (not that much cheaper, but I already had it. All that was missing was a tiny amount that I had used to paint a clock frame. The wood was so dark on the bureau that I really needed two coats.

I poured half the can into another container and used a ratio of about two parts paint to one part plaster of Paris. The PoP made it feel very gritty. I had read that that would go away when it dried, and it did. I had also read to just slap on the paint, streaks would not show when it was dry. This is almost true, and if you removed the runner, you would see two spots where the brush overlapped. I knew I would put something protective on it, so I didn't stress over it or sand it out. It's not visible unless you look for it.

As I was working with the paint, it really thickened quickly because of the PoP. I just added small amounts of water to get it back to that original consistency of the paint/Pop. It dried crazy-fast. I think that's why I ran into trouble with the overlapping lines of the brush...the first strokes dried so fast on the big top surface.

When I was done, I used Annie Sloan's wax. I originally thought I'd use one coat of that, then a second coat of her dark wax and rub most of that off, so that I could get dark lines like those around the edges of my kitchen cabinets. But before I could start waxing, I had to run an errand, and I came home to the dark lines in the creases and was confused. My ingenious DH had taken one of the kids' brown FELT TIP MARKERS to draw the lines. Ahaha. I probably shouldn't even be admitting this, but like I said above, I'm a cheap DIY'er, so...whatever. ;)

I hope I explained it all clearly, but just ask if anybody has a question. I think the thing to remember when using the homemade chalk paint is that curing between coats takes a little longer than I expected. It dried to the touch quickly, but DH put one of the drawers on top of it after it had been only painted about an hour and a little spot pulled off. I repainted, waited 24 hours, then waxed. Good as new...or at least WAY better than "old"!

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Love it!!!

• User
    12 years ago

It looks wonderful!

Thanks for the heads up about the chalk paint!

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

So pretty! I can't believe you finished in a weekend. My painting projects take forever :-)

Love what I've seen of your kitchen cabinets. Did you paint those or were they already painted/glazed?

• celticmoon
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the explanation. Plaster of paris, huh? However did you find that out?

Your piece looks soooo good. Just the right amount of detailing with the brown. Love that DH used a marker! Whatever works I say. It looks so much cleaner and brighter than the heavily distressed pieces that look like they got dragged behind a truck.

Great job!

• loribee
    12 years ago

Perfect...love the color, too!

• paulines
    12 years ago

Hey pie lifting champ!

I can't get over the change in your piece, it looks awesome, great job! Ok, I have a feeling chalk paint is addictive, what's next on the agenda?

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

It looks amazing, and wow, it is huge! So glad the chalk paint recipe worked out. I probably won't have time until at least Christmas or even summer to try it.

• lori316
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again.

Celticmoon, I wanted to try Annie Sloan's chalk paint, but it's so expensive, so I started researching for a homemade version. I found the site above, plus talked to my DH who is a chemist, and he thought the Plaster of Paris would be best (aka cheapest), so that's what I went with.

Juddgirl, thanks. That's how I purchased my cabinets. It's just actually my island. The outer part of the kitchen is a dark wood.

Pauline, SO good to see you! I have a garage full of old ugly stuff that may or may not get some chalk paint, but the next project is two really ugly old oak filing cabinets that will eventually be made into a desk. I can't decide on the color, but it will be part my office/part arts and crafts room, so I'm thinking it will be more girly than manly, which will be tough with these pieces. They are ugly with a capital UG!

• arlosmom
    12 years ago

I can't believe the improvement. Paint was a wonderful invention!!

• kbncan
    12 years ago

Very Nice!!!
    What are you planning to do with those beautiful "chapel" like mirrors?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES