Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

Would you use the same light fixture for both locations ?

purrus
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm about two weeks away from finishing our kitchen renovation. (I CAN'T WAIT!!!) The last decision I have to make is pendant lights over the peninsula (2) and over the sink (1).

Here's the kitchen, prior to countertop install

Counters will be alaska white quartz:

I've found a fixture I love, from West Elm. It's mercury glass finish, but not quite the most typical mercury glass look so it'd be hard to find a fixture that was a different shape but hda the same finish:

Another view:

I'm also a little unsure whether these pendants (which are 10.5 inches in diameter) will be too big for either location--my peninsula is only 58" long.

Basically I'm unsure whether I should use a different fixture over the sink, which will be under the window, than over the peninsula. They are perpendicular to each other, but not far apart. Would it be too matchy-matchy to use the same one, or should I go for something different? (I've tried to avoid matchy-matchiness throughout this remodel, using different finishes for different things.)

And, if I go for a different one, can you guys recommend a fixture that will coordinate with the one I've chosen from West Elm?

I did see one on overstock--I cn't get the picture to save due to the zoom function, so I have linked it below. I like it, but the reviews are meh... and I'm not sure it really coordinates that well with the one from West Elm.

Help!!! I need to get this figured out in the next couple of days, since the electrician will finish his work early next week.

Here is a link that might be useful: mercury glass light from Overstock

Comments (30)

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

overstock light

[Contemporary Pendant Lighting[(https://www.houzz.com/products/contemporary-pendant-lights-prbr1-br~t_610~s_2103)

This post was edited by forboystoo on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 9:38

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd do a different one over the sink, and I'd go pretty different. I'd go with a mini chandelier over the sink.

LOVE this!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini chandy for over sink

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, interesting. I guess it owuld make sense to go quite different so it didn't appear like I was trying to match, but failed, right?

My style's fairly clean and contemporary. I just have no idea what to look for. This has been my hardest decision all along and now I'm to the point where I really HAVE to decide.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

You can always purchase one and hold it up to check the size, but based on these images, I think the pendant might be a bit to large to be used in all three places and substituting another pendant the same diameter doesn't really solve the problem.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Huh, that is EXTREMELY helpful! Thank you! So maybe I get that one over the sink, and something else for the peninsula?

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I don't know if I would want a hanging fixture in both locations; for me, my eye wouldn't know where it was supposed to "rest" when looking at the room . Would you consider only having the pendants over the peninsula and going flush over the sink?

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whoops! Double post, sorry.

This post was edited by purrus on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 10:27

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I have used this pendant successfully. It is rather industrial and modestly priced. Looks like some of the more expensive Italian pendants offered.

The image is not very good, but it's extremely well made and you could use it in all three locations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pendant

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure, I was just thinking the same thing about maybe going with a flush fixture over the sink. And actually, the window over the sink is rather low, so a flush light would help fill in some of the space there. (I'm getting glossy white subway tile all the way up to the ceiling.)

Now... any suggestions? I am having the hardest time with this.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly, I like that one, but I'm afraid it goes in the opposite direction--that it might be smaller than I what I want in that location. I think somewhere between 10.5 and 3.75 inches wide would be good.

I guess part of my problem is that I can't really narrow down the finishes that I want. I love chrome (my faucet is chrome), and my pulls are a very shiny pewter. I don't like brushed anything.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK. I am going to go for thsi schoolhouse fixture for over the sink. I love the classic look and the chrome, and I just measured it in my space and I think t will fill in the large space above the window well.

Now for the peninsula.

Here is a link that might be useful: schoolhouse fixture

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Cool! I love that the schoolhouse lights are coming back.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

The school house fixture is nice but is a 60 watt bulb going to give you enough light above your sink especially with the opaque glass. I know I would want more light than that even with the recessed lights that I see in your picture. Maybe someone can let you know from experience if 60 watts in a school house fixture is enough light.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That was one of my concerns as well-- also how to find peninsula lighting that coordinates with the sxhoolhouse light shape and style.

So. Overwhelmed.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would a semi flush chandelier be too much? Or would that be weird?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like the idea of a mini chandy over the sink.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also have some crystal in the house. (I guess my style is quite eclectic since I also have a lot of black and white textiles and wood mcm pieces!!) I will try to post a pic of my living room in a bit, since it's the most finished room in terms of decor. Maybe that will help since it is open to the new kitchen.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

IF the schoolhouse fixture will take a 60w bulb, you can use an LED Bulb with a light output equivalent to 90 or 100 watts and not come near the 60w limit. It will be cooler after standing under it a while and a lot more energy efficient.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the chandelier in my entryway

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Living room that opens to kitchen

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

You can't use the school house fixture. It's 16" in diameter. Way to large for the space over the sink. However, many manufacturers offer the schoolhouse fixtures in a variety of dimensions as shown in two of the pictures below.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But I thought the description said 13 inches in diameter! Did I read that wrong?

Anyway, I'm already rethinking the schoolhouse light description. I'm going out of my mind a little, which is silly, because obviously there are lots more important things to worry about in the world right now. Sigh....

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Most of our light fixtures are by Hubbardton Forge. The one Tibbrx posted is in our foyer. Nothing mini about it. imo, it would be too large for over the sink and not right for over the counter area either.

I really like the mercury glass one you posted first.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Soooooo jealous of you, Allison. Found that Hubbardton Forge light fixture today and absolutely love it. My broker is going to be renovating a house, and I sent her a pic of it for her new house. I have GOT to get that light into my house some day!

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 20:31

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

First determine how much space is between the cabinets on either side of your sink. There are lots of fixtures to choose from out there.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

:) Tibbrix, I love all of the Hubbardton Forge fixtures we purchased thru Five Rivers. This one is by far my favorite, and we have four of them. Two in each leg of an L-shaped hallway downstairs. They are almost 16" x 11"

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are a couple pictures of my sink area. Maybe that will help.

There are 52 inches between the cabinets above the sink.

Also, I saw this pretty globe light at West Elm, but I couldn't buy it yet since it's so new (our store is brand new, so some pf the stuff on their showroom isn't for sale yet?!). I don't know exact dimensions but it is not as wide as the industrial pendant that I also liked from there.

Anyway, because it's one of those corded plugin lights I wanted to have it for my electrician to deal with, so I didn't buy it, But maybe I should just order it and deal with it being installed later by someone else?It won't ship till Dec. 1 at the earliest.

Would this globe light look good with the industrial pendant over the sink and the globe light over the peninsula, maybe? I'm planning to head back to West Elm today or tomorrow.

Oh, and TODAY IS COUNTERTOP DAY (SO EXCITED!!!!) so I can post a pic with counters later too!!! Seriously. It's like CHRISTMAS.