Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Built Ins - Layout Advice Requested

Posted by oldbat2be (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 9:25

We're planning a linen closet in a landing area (from the attic stairs), and two built-ins for the family room (adjacent room).

So, consider it three, 15" deep built-ins.

Cabinetry style will be Shaker, with a wider rail, and inset drawers/cabinets. Maybe rich dark wood in linen closet, maybe some sort of gray.

Please offer feedback/comments on the current plans. The round sconces - were just something I picked in the Sketch-up 3-D warehouse. I think I'll need something really sleek to go with our Techlighting K-Hello's (in place, shown in final picture).

Family room built ins (from bottom to top):

Wicker baskets of some sort
AnnieDeighnaugh's pull out stone side table idea
Drawer
Book shelves (probably, evenly spaced, around 13" each).

Thanks!

What the room currently looks like. Sofa, rug, light, table will all be moved elsewhere. The little brown table - DH made in shop in High School and I make use of it all the time. That, may stay :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Built Ins - Layout Advice Requested

I think it will look great in your space, very cozy. I like the white in the room as you have it with the baskets and then the dark wood in the hall closet.

o

Quoting mjlb on another thread:

"I think the linen closet proportions would be improved by increasing the height of the doors. Currently the piece is divided top/bottom in roughly equal parts, which is less pleasing, IMO. "

Here's a comparison with the taller upper cabinet doors. I think they do look better. Drawers are still 15" tall on the linen closet cabinet, and I think those will be fine.

With respect to color suggestions... Here are planned colors for the sofas I've ordered.

o

Are the panels under the shelves by the sofa a flip down? If so, you can skip the slides entirely and line the inside of the flip down with formica type product and use them as your end tables. I think that would be easier to use than the slides....the slides, being stone, are heavy. Sort of like the cabinet on the right in the pic...

o

Those were drawers but I see what you mean with the suggestion of a flip down. Hmmm.

Alternatively, it could look like a drawer, have a handle, and act sort of like this:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here