Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reno_fan

Padded headboards and 'hair oils'

reno_fan
15 years ago

Kind of gross title, sorry! I was at a thrift store the other day and saw an old upholstered headboard that was positively disgusting with oil/dirt spots on one side.

I have desperately wanted a padded headboard, and planned to make one very soon. (We've been without a headboard for a couple of years now.)

When making the bed yesterday, I noticed that on DH's side, there were discolorations on the wall from where he leans while reading.

Now I'm nervous about doing an upholstered headboard. Do they get gross? How do you clean/protect them?

I know I won't be able to change DH's reading position, so I may just have to suck it up and get a wood headboard.

Thoughts?

Comments (50)

• Boopadaboo
    15 years ago

How about leather?

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Boop, I love leather, but this is the pic that keeps me swooning......

• Boopadaboo
    15 years ago

I can see why. Since I have the heard of 4 cats, I just swoon and keep looking when I see gorgeous bedrooms like that. :)

I have been thinking I would start to slowly bring in some upholstered items since I am so tired of leather. First is going to be a loveseat I have in the kitchen eat in area which is in desperate need of new fabric. I have been thinking of the indoor/outdoor fabrics that I think sunbrella makes. I think calico corners sells them too. They supposedly are not stiff. I wonder if that would work?

I think some people use a slip cover instead of actually upholstering the headboard. I bet if you washed it periodically that would keep it in tact too.

• camlan
    15 years ago

I'd have to second the slipcover idea as well. Even leather would eventually get marked by the body oils. With a slipcover you could wash it. And you could replace it fairly easily if you wanted to redecorate or it just got too faded/dirty.

• tinam61
    15 years ago

Texas Hottie just did an upholstered headboard, although I don't think it has been used yet. LOL It's gorgeous! Post a pic please Hottie!!

If you are not planning to tuft the headboard (which would mean alot of work) I would buy extra fabric, so if the headboard does get soiled, you could re-cover it.

We just went to a iron bed from a wood one, but I've never noticed any spots.

That is a nice inspiration pic!

tina

• parma42
    15 years ago

That inspiration pic is to die for, reno.

What about a fabric protector? Or throwing a sheet over it when you sleep? That sounds crazy but would only take a minute at night.

I'd do just about anyting for that room!

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Love that inspiration pic! I had the same reservations about padded hearboards and ended up going instead with a wrought iron and wood one. We use our bed pillows (2 kings, and 2 queens) to make a nice cushy back to lean against while we read instead. Those can be laundered, so they always look nice.
    Lynn

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

I love the look of padded headboards, and came very close to ordering one several times. Then we found a gorgeous all-wood panel bed on Craigslist for $150.

Once we'd set it up, I noticed that the wood on DH's side of the bed is consistently oily -- so much so that it gets cleaned w/Murphy's Oil Soap every two weeks. I am so grateful to Craigslist on this one: I shudder to think what that padded headboard would have looked like only a few weeks after we'd shelled out cash for it. I'd have wasted so much time scrubbing it down...

So I'd definitely say a slipcover at the very least!

• Sujafr
    15 years ago

We have a padded headboard--for over five years, but still use pillows in front of it for propping up to read---or just slither down further into the bed. The pillowcases are laundered, and I've never noticed any staining on the padded headboard. I love the way a padded headboard adds color and interest.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

I have a upholstered headboard as well - and no coloration whatsoever -- not even a stain. Mine is light beige color. I guess we don't read in bed a lot LOL :-)

The one you show is very pretty Reno. You can get an upholsterer to do it for you, or you can DIY. I made an headboard for a friend w/ slipcovers before. I put zipper in the back and it's very easy to do -- like a giant pillow case. :-)

• nhb22
    15 years ago

My daughters headboard still looks good after being at college for 4 years, but she is a girl.

Please excuse the looks of the bed. She has just set it back up, the risers are not under the bed, nor is the headboard raised and attached to the frame. The headboard usually sits way up on the wall and has black buttons where the tufted areas are. Also missing... khaki walls and curtains, large khaki pillow, red pillow cases, black bedside tables and adorable black lamps with red shades. Her bed certainly doesn't look anything like the "dream" bedroom above, but the bed looked great in college!
    {{!gwi}}

Now, I have noticed that my husbands pillow cases are stained from his head. Even washing doesn't get out the stain. I always make sure that he gets the stained pillow case when we change sheets. :) :) :)

I'd still go ahead with your dream, and just be careful. Perhaps throw and old pillow case over hubby's side of the headboard when he reads.

• ttodd
    15 years ago

WOW Reno! I'd swoon too! Where'd you find the pic?

Another vote for slipcovered. I'd love an upholstered headboard but every time I wash bedding I see how discolored DH's pillowcase can get as his hair is oily & mine is super dry. Sorry Hun (DH!).

• pammyfay
    15 years ago

Slipcover--that's the ticket.

Also, something I have on my upholstered bed is a Euro sham for when I want to read in bed sitting up (I'm mostly an on-my-stomach reader, not so great on the back, tho!). The dimensions of a Euro sham are larger than typical shams, pretty much squares. I found one of those reading bolster pillows that are wedge-shaped so they prop up nicely, and I slipped a Euro sham over that. Looks great, and it's washable. Maybe that'd work for you!

• tinam61
    15 years ago

How much fabric did you have to use Hottie? Love it!
    You done good, heehee!!!

tina

(thanks for posting the pics)

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

Hey Tina, I'm shopping for am iron bed, what kind did you get? I like the ones from Hooker Furniture the best so far, while staying within the budget. Thanks!

Susan

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

Texashottie,

I love that headboard you are making. The design and the material are gorgeous.
    I am curious how you do the tufting. If you have a moment, could you explain it.
    Thanks

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Aside from the obvious of leaning on a pillow vs the headboard could you make it removable (tie it under the headboard) and use a washable fabric? I wash quilts with the batting.

• jojoco
    15 years ago

Here is your answer:

Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• texashottie
    15 years ago

Tina, thank you for your sweet comments. I bought 5.5 yards for the headboard alone (I bought more to make a matching box-pleated bedskirt).

I had to buy so much because it is a pattern, with a 35" repeat vertically. The width of the bolt did not cover the width of the headboard, so I had to seam it on both sides. (So I bought 2 lengths, using 1 length for the middle, then cut the second length vertically and sewed each "half" onto either side of the first length.) I had to buy an extra 35" repeat to be sure that I could cut the second length at the same point in the pattern as the first length. Hope that makes sense! :)

Lyban, thank you! I basically drilled holes in the back of the headboard through the wood only. I screwed a small screw halfway in beside each hole. After some trial and error, I bought straight upholstery needles (they come 6" lengths on up) and I poked it backwards (threaded loop side-first) through the hole and all the layers until it came through the fabric. I could then take my button that I covered with fabric, and with about 6 upholstery threads threaded through it, I took all 12 ends of the thread and put them through the needle loop. I can then pull the needle back out through the hole in the back of the headboard, pull the button tight, and tie off the thread ends on the screw.

Hope this makes sense! :)

• littledog
    15 years ago

You must mean the dreaded Man-Stain. Years ago, I saw a button tufted, upholstered headboard similar to the blue one posted above. The woman of the house was mostly bedfast, and the entire room was done in maroon/dusty pink. On her husband's side of the bed, she had a fabric square (the dark maroon shade) buttoned up on the headboard. I didn't get to ask if she'd made them, or had them done, but I did notice they had real button holes. She saw me looking at the, um, "bib" and said "Frank makes such a mess..." I understood. I'm thinking it would be easy to remove in case you were expecting company. Anyway, it's a thought.

Newhomebuilder, whenever I buy pillowcases, I try to get two identical sets. That way, I have a spare in case one ends up too discolored. I always wash both pillowcases so they'll fade evenly, even though mine is never dirty. (No, really. I sleep with a flat, 12 inch square foam pillow, so the bed pillow on my side is just for balance. It's never used unless our grandson sleeps over.) Something else I do is use dishwashing detergent on DH's pillowcase as a presoak. (Dawn; gets the grease out) I also use a clothesline, so no chance of heat setting an oily stain with a dryer. probably all stuff you already do, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. :^)

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Jo, That's funny and looks like a good solution!

Or, bed books.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed Books

• tinam61
    15 years ago

That makes perfect sense hottie - like you would do a duvet cover or a shower curtain? I went back and looked at your picture - you cannot even tell it is seamed! I can't wait to see it with all the tufting.

tina

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG Texashottie!!!!! That's so gorgeous! I too was planning on a tufted headboard, for the same reason you like them. I am concerned, though, that since this is our master, and will see lots of use, that I may have to do a slipcover.

If you don't mind, could you take a closeup of the fabric seam? That was going to be my next dilemma, as our bed is king-sized, and I knew there would be no way to get fabric wide enough to span the headboard.

The one good thing about doing a slipcover is that I could do some decorative cording around the edges. But I LOVELOVELOVE a tufted look, dangit!

• ttodd
    15 years ago

TexasHottie - as usual you are very inspirational!

Your tufting technique reminded me of my honeymoon. We went to a ski resort in northern NM & the apartment had HGTV (which we didn't have at the time). Needless to say I was glued to HGTV in the middle of the night (I had sleep issues then). 10 yrs later one of the things that I took away from my honeymoon that is etched in my memory is how to tuft something. Your description was superb.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Reno, If it helps any, the picture you posted from Cote de Texas is a slipcover from PB. It is the Riley headboard. Here is the same toile, called Matine, in the Dusty Lilac. The headboard is in Dusty Lilac Velvet. I also have been without a headboard for years. I am seriously considering this one. I have been looking for one that was at least 60" high. This is 62"H at the center.
    {{!gwi}}

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

Texashottie,

Thank you for that explanation on tufting. Sounds like it might be a bit difficult but I am going to get a small piece of wood from the garage and I know I have little pieces of foam and batting around here somewhere so I am going to give it a try as soon as I pick up some neeedles.
    Thank you so much.

• tinam61
    15 years ago

cording, etc. can also be added to an upholstered headboard, not just a slipcover.

There is someone else here who had a gorgeous upholstered headboard - Cran! Where is she? I love the fabric she had in her bedroom. I know she had drapes and headboard, seems like something else out of the same floral fabric.

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

Texashottie, you did a great job on your headboard, and that is some staple gun!

reno_fan, I made my dd a padded headboard years ago, and she used to lean up against it at night after her shower - with wet hair. Even though the fabric dried, after a while, there was a dark outline where the wetness had been. I cleaned the headboard & then coated it with about 3 coats of Scotchguard & it held up until she got tired of the childish look. When I recovered it, I used vinyl just because she leaned against it with wet hair. It's not as pretty, and I need to redo it now.

I wonder if you could do something like that or even clear polyurethane, like the painted sofa someone posted here.

My dh's pillow looks gross too, so I can imagine if he leaned against the headboard. A slipcover would be a nice idea if you didn't mind replacing it occassionally.

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

I want an upholstered headboard, too.
    Have you seen the ones at Target? 15% off right now off of $350 for a king.

Smiles:)

• rucnmom
    15 years ago

Another reason why girls need their own rooms ....at any age. I'd get hubby some shampoo and a turban.

• texashottie
    15 years ago

Thanks, y'all. It's been a fun project; my dad helped me make the headboard when he came out to visit from CA. I'm hoping he will be the first one to sleep in this bed now next time he comes. ;)

It is very tall--it's much taller than any of the ones that y'all are showing pics of. I read in a design article on headboards to have them go 2/3rds up the wall so that there is no "dead space" above the headboard. So I have 9' ceilings upstairs--the headboard is about 7' high. We'll see how it looks once I get the bed done up with propped pillows, etc. I want it to make a statement, but if it's too gargantuous, I can always hack it down from the bottom. (I also thought of hanging a unique gilded medallion on it, which would also bring it down.)

Anyway, this queen headboard was not cheap to make. Foam is expensive--I had to use 3 strips at $30 a pop (and this was a fabric outlet/warehouse in Dallas). Plus batting. My dad picked out some good wood that set me back another $60 or so, and he was able to piece it with dowels so I wouldn't have to purchase a second "slab." Then my linen fabric set me back a ways.... it's an easy $300 at least. Plus extra wood for framing, spray glue for foam, buttons, staples and time. So maybe store-bought isn't too bad---unless you really want a 7' headboard. ;)

Reno, here are my seams. I've always had a hard time matching patterns, but if I can do it, you can do it. (My camera skills make the seams look crooked, but they are lined up with the edge of the board.)

Can I get a woot-woot? :D

And Lyban, here's a pic of my first button. I pulled it as tight as I could from the back of the headboard; I think it's only "indenting" the batting layer. It makes a soft tuft, and does not distort the pattern.

I'm going to try making a deeper tuft, whereby it "indents" the foam as well, but I need to get DH's muscles to help me and hold in the button from the front side while I tie it off on the backside. I think that type of tuft will create the "pleats" you sometimes see.

But I'm unsure which tuft I will do yet. I'm guessing the former. :)

• tinam61
    15 years ago

You did great on the matching and the button/tuft! Can't wait to see it all together.

I've never heard that about a headboard being that high, plus there is usually something hung between the headboard and ceiling (picture, mirror, etc.)

Loving it!

tina

• nhb22
    15 years ago

My daughters headboard (pictured above is almost as tall as texashotties bed. The legs that attach it to the bed frame are not installed yet. The headboard is just sitting on the floor.

texashottie - Let me say that you have done a fantastic job on your toile headboard. Those seems are impeccable. Because my bed was a full, I did not have to match seams, but DD wants me to make a bed for her boyfriends bedroom when he gets his queen or king bed. I may need some pointer when the time comes. The buttons look great too. I settled for large black buttons.

littledog - Thank you for the suggestions.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks TexasHottie! I got inspired and went out and bought fabric today. I've been eyeing that Bosporous Toile that was so popular a year or so ago, and found it locally.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to work for my headboard. It's too busy and too colorful. I'll have to recover a chair or make some pillows or something with the fabric instead. Harumph.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

TH, That is going to be one beautiful bed girl! A statement it will make! I can't wait to see it finished. Love everything you do!!

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

texashottie, you get a woot woot! from me. You did an excellent job matching those seams.

Which fabric warehouse in Dallas, if you want to share? I haven't found any I thought were particularly cheap.

• texashottie
    15 years ago

Thank you ALL for your kind words!

NHB and Reno, I hope you do make those headboards. I'm flattered to help with any questions. :) Btw, Reno, I love that Bosporous--I have it on my kitchen nook Louis XV chairs. Maybe a busier, colorful fabric is the ticket to hiding discolorations on a headboard?

Kmc, thanks for the shout out, girl!

Marti, thanks for the woot woot, lol! I am assuming you know where Perth Street is off of Harry Hines blvd? There was only one warehouse that I could find there that carried foam. It sits at the very end of Perth street---Perth dead-ends into it. Sorry, cannot remember the name.

• sarahmakes6
    15 years ago

I made a padded headboard for my king size bed a few years back and love it. No problems with oils and such, just cats who like to walk across the top (rolling my eyes).

I saved myself from having to sew panels for the king size width by using a duvet cover for the fabric. The width was just about perfect with enough to tuck around the sides and staple. Just another idea on the fabric for you.

• tinam61
    15 years ago

I have to disagree about the Bosporous being too busy. I don't think it's any busier than what TH used or some of the other examples shown here. If you think it's too colorful, there is a *flax* color in it which is actually more in line with your inspiration picture. Search for the thread about the *Mental pause room* and you'll see where a couple of our posters are using the blues/tans. Beautiful combo. The Bosporous is still a very popular fabric. Also on one of the threads relating to the mental pause room (LOL), there was an online source for the fabric at a VERY good price.

Hope this helps!

tina

• tinam61
    15 years ago

Here's a great how-to from BHG on how to build the headboard and make a cover (slip-cover). You might be interested:

http://www.bhg.com/decorating/do-it-yourself/headboards/upholstered-headboard/

tina

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tina, I do love the flax fabric. They also had that at the fabric store. It has no reds, though, and I'd have to completely re-do the room around the flax fabric. I'd have to lose my red rug, and all of my throw pillows, etc.

My inspiration pic is a little too blue for my taste, but I love the style, which is what I was drooling over.

I'm a little discouraged today, as I really wanted to make this headboard this weekend (Dh is off work Fri-Tues, so I'd have it done in no time.) There's something about the fabric I bought that's just not quite "right", though I can't really put my finger on it. grrrrr.....

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Found this too. Very good photos on "how to".

Here is a link that might be useful: In depth how to photos

• teacats
    15 years ago

Texashottie: Incredible JOB! Brillant matching of the tricky fabric -- truly professional! LOVE your staple gun!

Jan

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

Thanks Texashottie, I'll check there the next time I am that way. I thought it might be off Harry Hines or one of the Row streets. I bought some fabric a place near Pilgrims Pride when I upholstered a corner on a wall. It may have been Childress but I just looked them up & it says the address is on I45 & this was closer to I35. Anyway, I thought they had a good price.

• texashottie
    15 years ago

Teacats, thank you for your kind words!

All of you---thanks for your compliments and cheers. I have admired many of the rooms that y'all have posted so it's a huge compliment to me to rally with you. :) You have made my weekend.

Marti, check out the stores on Harry Hines/Perth and let me know how they compare to the ones you are talking about--I'm unfamiliar with those. (I like Best Fabrics and Golden Di'or.)

• dazi
    15 years ago

Your headboard is unbelievably beautiful!! Wow-zer to you for the gorgeous yet intensive job -CERTAINLY worth it!! WOW! Wish I could DO THAT!! Thanks for sharing with pictures!

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Reno,
    I think that Bosporus works beautifully in your bedroom. It works with the chairs, pillows, bedding & rug.
    I am using it in my guest bedroom - trying to get DH to build me a headboard to upholster. Oh, and I am having slipcovers made for my sitting room.

I really love that fabric & considered not using it b/cause it has been around for awhile but I kept going back to it. I love the texture of it and there are so many great colors to use in that fabric.

Smiles:)

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

I don't know what it's called, but I have very long strips of magnites that came with total light blocking insulated drapes. One drape seam snaps to the next drape seam. This would work when building a headboard, on each side of the frame, then finish as planned. With extra fabric or vinyl easy to launder often, slip mags in and out of the side seams, snap off and lay down under pillow when making the bed- snap up on headboard frame and get in bed, protected.

• A. E.
    4 years ago

Just Scotchgard it! It’ll be fine!