Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

more help needed with fireplace design, pictures included!

tinker_2006
16 years ago

Hope the photo's aren't too large.

Need to make a decision ASAP on our fireplace area. The first color photo is picture of the MODEL HOME we are building. I really liked the TV idea at first, but now I am not sure that I really like the look. This room will not be used as the family room, since we have an upstairs bonus room for that purpose. This room is open and we be the room used to entertain company, relax and read...

but I also would like to watch tv occasionally while cooking or whatever, but I rather have a better look then watch tv.

Â

Â

{{!gwi}}

Â

PICTURE #1 FROM MODEL HOME.. I am not a big fan of the terra cotta paint.

This paint is showing much more "pink" then it really is. It is more red in

color.

There is just SOMETHING funny about the fireplace to us. We feel it is missing

something!!

{{!gwi}}

Â

PICTURE #2 - PHOTOSHOP PLAYING.. here I painted the back wall, added a wood

mantel and removed the picture....

{{!gwi}}

Â

PICTURE # 3 Here I extended the brick to go up between the columns.

{{!gwi}}

PICTURE # 4 here I removed the columns totally, and framed it out around a

picture...

{{!gwi}}

Â

I value everyone's thoughts - as this forum has been SO HELPFUL with our

last build and now this new one!

Comments (71)

• demeron
    16 years ago

That is a tough choice! In general I like the way the FP is pulled forward with built ins-- I asked them to pull mine forward, am thinking windowseats on each side one day.

I am leaning toward the last view with white trim.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Tinker, you asked about the mantel extending beyond the sides? -- I think it looks great that way. I believe that's pretty common. A few flips through some mags will probably show variations.

• txgal06
    16 years ago

A wrap mantel, whether or not you put the tv above the fireplace, looks best with the bricks IMHO.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    16 years ago

I prefer the original option 4. To me with the last options with the top and bottom framed out just look too heavy. It appears that two boxes have been stacked on top of each other. I much prefer the top not framed out.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gosh - This is SO HARD! I just keep going back and forth.. but I think I am liking the last view without the brick behind it... I am heading to a book store NOW to look for more fireplaces!

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Tinker, with the fireplace pulled forward into the room, you have *true* built-ins on either side, which is the preferred way to build (at least that's what we were told, although that's not what we have due to budgetary constraints).

I love any of the latest versions above. I like the mantle & surrounds the entire width as Les suggested!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Well I suggested it too! wahhhh...

Some thoughts on the blocky look. Here the the upper side trim has been removed, with variations as noted above the pics.

Don't know if you noticed, but the floor brick was replaced with something that blends in with the floor. Subtle border rather than abrupt material change, I think, would be nice, and more traditional in feel.

I've added some brick details in some of the pics to the brick expanse where there is no hearth. Sometimes you see this on old buildings if you've ever noticed. Then added a few touches beneath the arch to be cohesive and tie it together. Sometimes they're done is a darker brick or gray brick or slate.

Side trim removed.

Side trim removed, in brick.

Side trim removed, mantel slightly higher to relieve the 50-50 feel of the sections, and some small decorative brick/slate details to relieve the expanse of brick w/o a hearth ('keys' in the arch and liners where a hearth might be).

Side trim removed, mantel slightly higher, in drywall, no brick detail.

Side trim removed, in accent color, 50-50 mantel, no brick detail.

Side trim removed, mantel slightly higher, in accent color, with brick details.

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Sorry, Squirrelheaven, didn't mean to slight you ;-) I guess I just wasn't paying attention! LOVE that green color on the drywall in the pic above!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, think this one that you did hits me the best.... I think the boxy look is gone, and the tone done colors helps a lot, plus not having it 50/50 gives it more interest!

What do you all think!?

(THANKS SO MUCH SQUIRREL!!)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I think it's gawgeous! Not going 50-50 looks better if you happen to want an accent color in the future, too. Notice that crown on the fp area is wider than the model home's. I think it works better with this mantel. I'm probably the only one who likes some detail on the brick:

• les917
    16 years ago

If you are going to run that crown piece at the top without the side fluted moulding, could you try running it into the back and sides of the bookcases as well? It looks odd to me floating out there by itself, especially when there is crown moulding in the room right above it.

I still prefer the side moulding on the top, as I think it gives the fireplace more weight in relation to the expanse of bookcases on each side, but sounds like everyone likes it without that.

One other thing that struck me as I looked at these last pix - I think the fluted moulding and all the crown is way more detailed than the shelving and side cabinets are. If you decide to do that type of detail on the fireplace, I think you need to add some more detailed trim on the edges of the shelves and the top of the cabinets.

I prefer the upper part without the brick, and I think that will give more versatility for what you can put up there in decor accessories.

Nicely done, everyone!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I agree, this is only an elevation and still conceptual -- the trimming details need to be worked out. The double-white trim running into the bookshelves bothers me, as well as exactly what we're looking at with the top crown on the fp and crown at the ceiling. I would have your cabinetmaker help you with the details as they will look at things from other angles and offer more detailed drawings to specific scale for construction.

This may not even be the exact fp Tinker is able to get, but then maybe she pulled it off of a mantel shop. Its details are gorgeous!

Work in some of the kitchen cabinet details over in this area, too. It will be gorgeous! I really haven't even decided which is my favorite :)

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

I agree with Les; I like the side moldings on the top as well, and I also like the drywall on top. I also noticed that something was off between the shelving and the fireplace trim, but didn't think it through that the shelving needs to be "fancied up" a bit. Les and Squirrelheaven, you both amaze me with your attention to detail!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Reducing the boxiness a bit by raising the mantel, with mouldings :) Was trying a bunch of stuff, so I'm just posting all the variations. I think maybe encasing the sides and trimming it out as a cohesive unit would probably integrate the mouldings with the rest of the room. Don't know about that double-moulding stuff, though.

Hmmm, maybe the bookcase needs the ceiling area cased in wood, too, on the last shot with a crown moulding running along the front of the units.

• patches123
    16 years ago

I think these last ones are getting close...the molding all away accross the top and down the sides really helps, but something isn't quite right. Les and squirel are the experts...but to me its something with the shelves....I just can't put my finger on it. Maybe adding trim on the shelf edge so it looks thicker? Maybe its the wall color behind the shelves? What does it look like with the shelf walls being wooden looking. Or just darker looking...the redish or dark green color perhaps.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

One thing is the sources for the cabinet and surround are different cabinetries, even though the fluting really doesn't show up much in the dark cherry color. The fp actually still looks painted (cause it is :) The upper shelves are exposing a bit of the bottoms, so that looks thicker and each looks different.

Thanks for chiming in :) We should tinker a bit more.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Tightening some things up. Patches?

{{!gwi}}

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Super!! I would have never thought of everything you all have been thinking of! I fo think this mantel works - niot too ornate, and I love the green background color as well. Squirrel, can you go back to the one from lastnight and make that green - I'd like to see both side by side.

(this one)

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE that last one you did, Squirrel!!! But then again, I love green and burgundy (my colors) although I'm not quite sure that is burgundy, but close enough -- I love it!

• patches123
    16 years ago

I really must learn photoshop so I can help out with these! Squirrel the last green one you did is beautiful. The darker color looks really nice against the wood colored mantel and bookshelves and the trim work is bringing it all together.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I also changed the shelf edges, more like the fp (not rounded) and made the existing cabinetry look like the fp material (not virtually mismatched textures and coloring). Toned down and warmed up the brick color. Raised the mantel slightly (not 50-50). The upper trim is the narrower version (note it is a bit inset, also). Also evened out the shelves so the bottom wasn't showing on any -- nice substantial shape and width I think, for the fp selection :) Other than a little more shadowing for more dimension, think that was it. Uppp! And the ceiling in the recess is painted the wall color, not white.

Does look like a beautiful burgundy, Hoosier! (Squint for cherry wood :)

Now to dig up that pic of the rest of the room! to see how the recessed area transitions to the space :)

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, I see cherry... - everything looks great and here's my plan:

I will be looking at brick that is toned down, for both the kitchen and the fireplace, but like you I like the brick (I never did in the past - but for some reason I do now!).

I have an apointment with the cabinet people next week, so this is all so helpful!

And for sure, I want go with that green! I wanted green from the beginning, but dh has been fighting me on this!!

I also will raised the mantel so that it isn't 50/50 - it's a much better balance the way you have it, and I like the look!

I also need to buy a mantel, and there is a few I like. I like the one Squirrel has been using, but I also like theses as well:
    Some show as white, but I will be going with Cherry.

{{!gwi}}

and I like this one a lot - it's different!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Hi Tinker, here are the side-by-sides :)

Are you planning on using the shelving more for display or books?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

One of the new fp pics that you loved. Didn't get the brick on the lower portion yet, but here's some travertine/marble and black granite, and the stone in the brick pic is supposed to be a soapstone.

A number of the variations we've been looking at, between them.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

I have not read the most recent post thoroughly - my apologies if this was pointed out - we are going through a fireplace redo now, may I suggest you get the mfr specifications of the FP unit & your local building codes to determine the height of the mantel as well as the clearances to combustibles. The mantel shelf depth contributes to the height clearance. Your FP unit is raised - as is ours - this increases the overall height from the floor of mantel because the clearance is based on the the measurement from the top of the unit. Your cabinet maker can build accordingly. I really like Squirrell's last pic and that particular surround you picked. It will look great w/ your kitchen.
    In our case, we could not use the noncombustible cast stone mantel we had purchased because the FP mfr was very adamant the clearance to the shelf was not adequate even though the material was non combustible ( something about possible heat build up and a flash-over). Just wanted to mention this so you could have all the specs when you do your design.

• les917
    16 years ago

Squirrel, I think the last one is great. The only thing I would add would be to run the wood crown along the sides of the bookcase as well as the back, I think, so the entire unit feels encased.

Love the simpler mantelpiece with the cabinetry.

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

My previous employer in WI did fireplace walls like this:

{{!gwi}}

Or this:

{{!gwi}}

Or this:

{{!gwi}}

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I LOVE this last picture - both with the brick and the one with the travertine! Maybe I should get rid of the brick in both kitchen and fireplace... and go with the travertine.

I think this mantel is also my favorite.. but it may not come in the size I need! I am waiting for dh to come home and review these pictures. Squirrel, this is a lot of free work - THANK YOU!

• lynnski
    16 years ago

This has been a fascinating thread to watch. Thanks, squirrel and tinker! To me, the last rendition (at 3:00) looks fabulous! To my eye, the changed picture that makes a big difference. Can anyone explain why that might be? Is it the proportions of the art, its visual weight, the calm composition, or the gleaming gold frame? Something about it just looks and feels exactly right to me, and I'd love to understand why that makes the difference.

• les917
    16 years ago

Lynnski, I think the last picture feels like it belongs because it is wider, and carries your eye across the entire space, echoing the horizontal lines of the shelving, etc. The earlier painting was more boxy, and stopped the eye on the fireplace area.

At least that is what I think - and my opinion is worth just what you paid for it! LOL

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oops.. I was typing as threedgrad was posting. I love the last rendition (at 3:00) that squirrel made with the mantel and bricks (but I really, really like the traventine too). I also really like the picture posted by threedgrad. I have always loved white, however if I go with cherry cabinets in the kitchen I *think* ?? the fireplace area should match since they are open to each other.

lynnski, I am think it is the mantel that gives it a totally different look.. but now I have a problem! I LOVE that mantel, and it is not available in the size I need!! I found the manufacturer and called them. They import that mantel, and finish it in their shop, but it only comes in one size. I would have to find someone to make it.. but I do think that is what is giving the whole thing such a different look, don't you squirrel?

• lynnski
    16 years ago

Yes, les, I bet that's it! And now I see that the picture was actually used before, but it was "hung" a little higher, and even the same painting was boxier. Now that the painting is more elongated, and the horizontal line of the painting's horizon is closer to the horizontal line of the shelf (but not perfectly aligned) it looks exactly right.

Thanks for the lesson--it was worth quite a lot!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Re the painting at 3:00, I think also that it steps out of the 'box' so to speak :) The other shapes on the fp are boxy (more square) and the picture repeating the square yet again just doesn't look quite right -- too many squares at one party is, boring!

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

tinker
    wow..I just seen your pictures/ post for the first time..beautiful! talk about drool!! I love the brick! I also Love the olive with the wood mantle that squirrel did. I would like to see the brick go all the way up with the olive also ..did you make a decision yet? I need to get a good program to do this..you are really good at it too..is there something on line I can get? This way I don't have to ask the posters on here for their help..I would still like to play with the photo of my house..french door, lamp post,porch land scape etc. I would love info. Chicory did post what she uses..but I am not sure what she means..squirrel usually jumps in, I guess she wasn't interested to do mine.. Good luck with your new home, It will be beautiful when completed.. can't wait to see actually pictures! Ree

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Ree, I did see your already-magical house :) but I can't keep up! I'm backtracking a bit to some others I got sidetracked from. I know people don't realize that it actually takes a bit of time to do these, but it does! :)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's the brick all the way up. Your firebox got replaced with the addition of the new mantel -- pic #2 is back to the original firebox and its location, although I did raise the mantel so the brick section below the firebox isn't narrower than the arched section above it. The bottom section still looks a bit high, imo.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel, I DO realize how much time this all takes, and I so appreciate it!

reeree, thank you! I do wish Florida homes had more charm and character, but at least this new development is trying to change things up a bit! We just lack all the moldings and trim work and interesting windows and such!

I have "almost" made up my mind what I am doing. First, I am going green... I just like it better! II LOVE the lasted manet... but either I need to find something similar or have it custom made because it is not available in the size I need. I think the mantel made a BIG difference!

So.... it's down to the 3:00 post

OR.. maybe the one with the brick all the way....

At least I am able to tell the builder to do away with the columns and I know the mantel size I will need, now I just have to decide on the little details that make the big picture!

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Just my opinion, but I much prefer not having the brick go all the way up. It's too busy with the brick and a picture for my taste (again, just my opinion). If you find a green that's the same green as Squirrel "painted", please let me know; I LOVE it!!!

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

tinker
    this is so beautiful! I do see lots of charm and warmth here ! I love the green! (I am a big green fan,except on my roof..lol) my sitting room is very close to this color.. I do like this tone in the picture much better than mine.. I like the brick 50/50. .and the mantle is beautiful.. how about finding a company who actually custom makes them? Give them the picture and measurements .. I would look into it , worth a try.
    The floor plan is greatÂ. I really love the whole package. You are going to have a beautiful home!
    Ree

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Also, Tinker, our mantle was custom built and it really wasn't that much. Your trim guys should be able to do that for you.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

squirrel
    oh I know how much work and time it must take ..I think it is so nice of you to take the time to do this for people and I know they really appreciate your hard work and talent! I wish I knew how... I must learn, as it is a great tool to have. (what program do you have? Did you get it on line?) I have seen what you have done in the past, especially all that work on that adorable "cottage" not too long ago.. (did she ever write again?) That brought me to ask for your help.. My curb appeal has finally taking itÂs toll, and it started looking uglier and uglier. I think I would have been ok with out the roof being green, this made me so limited and couldnÂt visualize much with the green roof. I am pretty good with helping others.. when it comes to myself, I am blank I guess I felt I asked you to help.. and had no response , then I saw you doing other stuff, so I took it as you didnÂt want to do it for me, I apologize I took it wrong.. (sorry again,) Ree

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Sigh, oh geez. I know people must take it wrong but it's just too hard to keep up with everything and the board's move very fast also. I've stopped posting to say I'll come back and do things because often I forget, get sidetracked, want to read, or just get busy with other things. It's just a little hobby to tune in here :) (one that has taken over my life!! lol). Seems like a week doesn't it :) Sometimes I open the thread initially and then wait for things to percolate in my little brain, which is what I'd started to do there. The door color I did was just a quick no-brainer :)

I was looking at the timeframe, and it was actually only a bit over a day! I think I do shy away from special requests as they start to pile up and I feel pressure. Sorry! but I really don't like it to feel like a job :) I'm sure some people know how that feels too :)

Nuttin' poisinal :) You have a beautiful house!!

• msrose
    16 years ago

Anyone have a guess on what color green that would be?

Laurie

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Squirrel
    Oh don't I feel like the horses a--! I am so sorry once again to request your help..I know you do this for fun and it's not a job. I just see you and Chicory all over doing fabulous recreations, I titled the post like that so you would definitely see it..it wasn't a 'command' sorry I was bold and asked for help. I have been trying to down load Adobe photoshop, it's the free trial, I wanted to give it a whirl before I bought it but it is taking forever to down load.. hopefully I can get it up and running so I can learn to do this myself. Thanks for the nice compliments! Ree

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

looks like an olive tone... maybe squirrel can answer that..I really love it myself..so warm..beautiful!
    Ree

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I would try Laura Ashley's olives and see what they do in the space. She has different levels ... #2, #4, #5. They're very popular around here. Maybe someone will recognize where this one might fall.

Sorry Ree! I just like to explain sometimes so people will understand :) Lots of people enjoy seeing the virtuals so don't feel bad!

Dang if they didn't delete the thread on Virtual Tools. When will the madness stop! Well, the software I use (Microsoft Digital Imagining, prev Picture It! 9) is apparently out of production now.

I'd try the Adobe Photoshop Elements which is a home version -- maybe you're downloading the professional version?

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

I had no clue Laura Ashley made paint! Where have I been? I haven't seen it around here, then again, I always just go to BM... would like to see some of LA's colors..they must be really nice. (thats all I need is another interior painting spree..lol)

no..no luck with the adobe photo shop..it took alot of disk space as well, now I have to uninstall..a huge disappointment , as I was so anxious to learn and play with my houseÂ. Long ago, my brother gave me a program, it was on a CD.. (when we were in my first house) I had a very hard time using it. .put it away, then when we moved here, I took it out and it was out dated and would run in my new computer, so that was the end. When I joined this forum, I started on the cleaning forum (my favorite past time. .lol) then I bopped on here and I was so amazed how things can transform so beautifully.. I was dying to see my house in different colors and landscape, porch etc.. so I will keep trying to find a trial program again. .if you may know of any, please pass it on.. adobe is not working at allÂRee

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Is it the Adobe 'Elements' version you're trying to download? That's a much bigger and more complicated program that usually scares people off.

LA is either at the Home Depot or Lowes.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Squirrel
    It's Adobe photoshop CS3... extremely confusing, and frustrating to figure out. I gave up as I spent way too many hours on here pulling my hair out with it. I am uninstalling it as we speak. (too much disk space and I can't use it) I give up! Ree

PS.. LA at home depot..lowes? hmmm..I will have to look the next time I am in there.. thanks!