Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosie28_gw

Exterior Trim - I Need Help with Colors!

Rosie28
10 years ago

After getting endless ideas reading other posts, I�ve finally joined up!

We are fixing up my mother's 1963 redwood ranch and we're getting the exterior trim painted (and they started this week with the prep) - Not much time to make my final decisions on colors, and I need help!

I need advice for window frames and sashes, the soffits, frieze board and doors. The fascia will stay brown to blend in with the brown gutters and the roof.

I have been thinking about teal blue/torquoise for front door, light (off white/greige) window sashes and soffits, and darker or very dark trim around the windows (green/gray-brown). The fascia boards are already brown to match the new gutters, and will stay that way, probably.

However, I'm open to all ideas. I tend to run from creamy off whites with yellow undertones, but I�m really open to all ideas b/c when it comes to picking colors I don�t think I ever do a good job. I tend to like more modern funky and rustic looks over traditional, and I think the house desperately needs some curb appeal, not just your run-of-the-mill white trim.

Please ignore all the messes. We have quite a few projects going on at once. And ignore most of those sample paint swatches - I was playing around with leftover samples from everywhere. Though, some of the greens are in the running.

Comments (28)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Is the house all redwood siding? Country setting or town?

Personally, I like redwood with matching trim, so I'd go with the brown and something like your turquoise on the door.

p.s. My neighbor's house is redwood with green trim. I'll run out and take a photo of it in a few minutes. But her house has a lot of brick on it too and is an 80's style..

This post was edited by marti8a on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 11:00

• Rosie28
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh boy - I love getting some feedback and ideas! Thanks.

It is in a country like suburban setting (1/2 acre lots). I'm posting another picture of the back, and if I can figure out how to post more at once, will do the side. As you can see in the back, we once started a brown color, but it was a really blah orangey brown which I thought was horrible. A real chocolate or grayish brown I think would be smarter looking.

My mother does not want the soffits/overhang to be dark, so if I'm introducing an off-white, or something light there, I thought I should keep that theme going with the windows.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I think I'd do all the trim in brown and use an accent color for the door.

• Rosie28
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one more pic... (btw, is it possible to attach more than one image to a posting?)

• Rosie28
    Original Author
    10 years ago

beverly27 - I like that you're picking a mid-century for a suggestion. We are fans of MCM design. Now, if we did the window trim in brown like the fascia (which match the gutters), do you think we could do the overhang/soffits off white, just to keep it light? And, would you suggest the sash part of the windows also in an off-white, so they aren't so heavy?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I only saw the first pic when I replied. That house is not close to a MCM home. It's a redwood cottage.

I was going to suggest you paint the eves and sash in taupe, ( like in the first pic below) but I don't think you'll be changing out screen doors etc.............and now I see there is red brick on the house and window boxes!!!

Now that I see everything going on , I'd push the house completely to a craftsman style cottage. I'd add typical wood details to enhance the appearance, doll up the porch, maybe beef up the columns, and paint all the trim, including the gutters eves etc. white like you see in the two pictures below. I'd suggest a front door in either deep orange red, hunter green or teal blue. Turquoise might be too MCM. for this house.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

You might look at "redwood siding" on houzz. Most of the ones I looked at tended to have darker trim, like the modern one shown above. And the pictures were taken in better light, and sometimes the redwood is lighter. If you don't like creamy white, you might try a lighter taupe, something that picks up one of the colors in your brick. And maybe some trim still in white. And then a blue/green for the front door.

• Rosie28
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is so great getting ideas. I agree, that redwood cottage/craftsman is probably the way to think about this house.

But, here was one inspiration pic that goes darker on the trims. Could I pull it off?

• Rosie28
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or, what about this color scheme with the green trim for windows? I'd keep the soffit off white, and again, the gutters stay brown.

And, btw, I will do something about the old aluminum screen doors. We're due for a new front door anyway.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

The first photo is the color of taupe I was thinking of. And there is a bit of white on the windows to brighten things up. I really like that house! I don't care so much for the green. Remember you also have the brick to consider.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Oooh I love your inspiration photo colors.

Here is my neighbor's house (I felt like a stalker taking this picture - lol).

They have live oaks in the front yard and it's hard to get a photo of the whole house but this shows more of the paint and redwood than anywhere else on the house. I wasn't crazy about the green when it was first done, but it's beginning to grow on me.

• jesshs
    10 years ago

I've seen a wood sided house with teal trim around the windows and the soffit and a red door. It was really fabulous. Might be bolder than you are wanting to go though.

I love the taupe with teal door idea. Although the door looks set in a little bit, so I might be tempted to go with a lighter color so that it is set apart from the darker house.

• Rosie28
    Original Author
    10 years ago

marti8a - Thanks for stalking the neighborhood. ;) That house looks great. I do like the green with the redwood a lot. Is it a bluish green?

And andee - I agree with you about that first inspiration house I posted. Wonderful color combination. I don't think I can really copy that b/c I'm stuck with the dark brown gutters and fascia. I tried out a new gray green for the window frame - BM Creekside green. It did look like quite a gray green, but I'll have to look again in the light tomorrow. I think it might work, esp with the sashes painted an off-white. It seemed green enough to work w/ the brown up top, and I think goes well with the brick. There's a lot of peach in the brick, and I usually think greens and green undertones do work well with the pink and peach tones of brick.

I'll probably post some pictures of trial colors since I have the weekend to figure it out before they need my color choices.

• Rosie28
    Original Author
    10 years ago

JessHS - Teal for the window frames is an idea we are tossing around, but then I've thought I'd save teal for the door. I do like a bit of fun and bold color on a house. Too many houses are painted "safe" neutrals - tan, beige, white, and I love to see a little fun with color. I like bright bold fun as well as more serious and dark. I just don't want to do this little house with white or tan trim all over!

I should also point out that one of the reasons I've been leaning towards a gray green is that I felt the grayness would allow the aluminum storm windows to blend in a bit, rather than sticking out so much. One days we'll change the windows, but until then, I'd still like to make it pretty.

If I was really daring, I might try this with the purple door! But, mostly I'm not sure how I'd pull off that orangy yellow trim.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

When it was first painted, it was a true evergreen, like from the Crayola box. But it may have changed a little from the sun and the sun was behind it when I took this photo so that could affect it too.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Oh, do the pumpkin with the violet door! Pull it from your brick.

Have to ask about the roof color.

• Rosie28
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That violet door is fun indeed, but I don't think my house lends itself to the color scheme. My wood is redder and darker, and just the whole thing is different. But, it was just to say, I like some fun and color on a house, when it works.

This weekend I will be playing with some paint samples - maybe I'll post some options.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. Cottage and Bungalow are 2 words that are resonating with me now as I think about this house.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Hi, there are a bunch of colors for samples here that would work with your brick. You sort of have to get samples though as SW colors do not look the same as the chit color when painted.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 19:48

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Then you could do a less sharp version, more of a terra cotta on the rosy side. The brick and patio seem to be along those lines. A soft aqua for the door, or even a light periwinkle blue would be pretty.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 13:05

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Ok I do NOT love this house color but I did this on MS paint. I do like the trim colors and door. The reason for this rendering is that I wanted to see what it would look like if you neutralized the house paint color to blend with the brick and chose to play up those windows to add charm. I like the idea of neutralizing the house paint and drawing attention to things that add character.

edited to add plant

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 10:27

• Rosie28
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for these ideas. I can't believe the effort you all put into offering ideas - taking photos of neighbors houses, inspiration pics, paint swatches and even color mockups!

For jterrilynn - I really appreciate your mockup, however, the siding on this house is natural redwood. It is not stained or painted. I will be doing some work on it to get rid of some of the darkening, which I believe is extractive bleeding, and not mildew.

I don't actually think the brick is the best match to the redwood, but it's there. I have considered painting it, but that sounds like extra maintenance, so for now, won't. I also think it's a bit less peachy than the photo makes it look. That was evening sun, and it does face west, so maybe it accentuates that color in the setting sun.

If it doesn't rain today, I'll try out some swatches on the primed areas. Wish me luck!

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Good luck Rosie, and if possible I hope you share your swatch picks!

• Deb2601
    10 years ago

Hi, I'am trying to decide on a new roof color and color scheme for my 80's Florida Ranch. I'd like a light roof do to living in Florida. Have considered Light gray or a light tanish to blend with brick. I would love some color schemes ideas. Thank You

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Deb, might be a good idea to start your own thread.

Pretty house!

• Deb2601
    10 years ago

O.K. How do I do that?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Go into this forum again, Home Decorating and Design.

At the top of the page, where it says, :Home Decorating and Design", right above that header you'll see some options, the last one being, "Post a message".

Click and start your thread! Give it a different title than this thread, though.

Also not a bad idea to go in and edit your comment here. Just click the box next to where you upload the photo to take it out, and delete your comment and write "oops" or something. That way people won't be responding to two threads.

Editing is done inside the box below your comment. It's kind of confusing at first. Your comment will appear at the top of the edit page, but scroll down to where you see it again in a box. That is where you edit.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 9:14

• User
    10 years ago

From the color card someone posted above (with the brick as reference), I would paint the trim all Reticence, then the eaves the lighter Nice White. You'll be amazed at the pleasing definition a subtle color change effects--- much better IMO than a heavy handed color choice like turquoise.

With the reticence (trim) and nice white (eaves) I would use pumpkin for the front door.