Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vall622_gw

Thanks for the advice. What do you think?

vall622
9 years ago

I took everyone's great advice and moved the tv. I have about 40 inches behind sofa. What do you think. The bookcases in corner? Maybe a sofa table somewhere. Back there? Does it look ok if sofa isn't centers between bookcases? Thanks everyone!

Comments (41)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It does look a lot better.

Butâ¦move the loveseat so that it is centered on the wall and so that the right arm of the loveseat is touching the left arm of the sofa to form and "L" and put the square side table right in there. To get behind the loveseat, people can walk to the right of the loveseat.

Personally I don't care for the angled bookcases and would remove them from that room altogether and put a console table behind the love seat then some artwork on the wall.

If you don't want to remove them, though, I'd straighten them.

• aputernut
    9 years ago

Have you tried the loveseat across that corner? or loveseat where the TV is now, move TV to other wall flanked by the bookcases.

• vall622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol. Just moved it over where it is now. Before all furniture pushed against wall, not very cozy.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You know, I would try the TV at an angle in that corner.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

What about the bookcases together in the middle of the wall they are on? That would give you some height on the wall behind the loveseat.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think you also need a coffee table to get a more finished, sitting-room look and feel, not to mention the practicality of having one.

hoovb, I also thought about the bookcases being pushed together, but the problem is that the crown moulding on them will prevent them from being flush so they'd actually look odd together, I think, if I'm seeing them correctly.

• vall622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes. They were meant to go on either side of tv console. I'm in process of looking for an ottoman coffee table since my husband likes to put his feet up lol

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Right, the crown molding. What about next to each other with a few inches in between.

• dixiedo
    9 years ago

Echoing other sentiments... angle the TV stand in the corner and put the 2 bookcases as close together as they can get.... and then, of course, the ottoman.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

WOW You've done a really fabulous job on the room so far. I have adjusted my drawing to reflect your current layout.

If you really require bookcases, then I would run a bank of them completely along the back of the room behind the loveseat, like a mini library. These do not need to be tall. The 50" high ones from IKEA would look quite nice back there in a wood finish or a high gloss color punch. Honestly I don't know where to put your two existing bookcases unless there is enough room to place them side by side to the left of the patio door.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Definitely have the arms of the sofa and love seat touch each other and angle the TV into the corner.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wait a secâ¦not the arms of the sofas but the corners of the cushions. The arms are shorter than the cushions, so it has to be the corner cushions that square off the two sofas.

• vall622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Was just going to say that. Thanks. Now to figure out the bookcases. Just got this unit so can't get rid of yet...

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Straighten out the bookcases in the corners to face the room, center the sofa between them ( not flush against the wall, but just centered) adjust the couch a little to get the cushions of the two looking nicely together without getting anal about it, artwork above the sofa between the bookcases.

Then you may have to change the arrangements that you have on the top of the bookcases to give some height to them to help fill the corners and the area to the ceiling.

Move the TV to angle in the corner .

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Not sure if this would work, but if you angle the TV in the corner, is there enough room for each book case to fit on either side of the TV?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You can probably remove the crown moulding on the book cases on the right side of one and the left of the other, and then they could be put side-by-side. That is actually probably how they would be best in that room. Keep the moulding in case you want to attach it again in the future. But nowadays, they just hammer it on with skinny finishing nails, so it's easy to pry off. Just do it from the top inside!

• vall622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not enough room. This is frustrating. Here's a pic of the previous posters suggestion. I think.

• vall622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not enough room. This is frustrating. Here's a pic of the previous posters suggestion. I think.

{{!gwi}}

• blfenton
    9 years ago

(The pic is upside down and I don't know how to fix it.)

Can you put the bookcases further into the corners? The sofa doesn't have to go inside the space but rather just sit in front.

• vall622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What about a sofa table in between ?

• blfenton
    9 years ago

A sofa table would be ok but I don't know if you could get a sofa table high enough to make an impact - or how about some floating shelves at different heights? Maybe 2 or 3 of them. They could be in the same wood tones.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like the first one, with the dog and the cases pulled in just a bit but fully visible. In fact, I like it a lot because they look like they belong there. Hang some print in the middle and it will look terrific.

Also, pull the end table next to the sofa forward so that it fits right between the sofa and love seat, so that it's two front sides are practically touching the arms of each sofa.

A rug and your ottoman coffee table, it will be a wonderful transformation!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I agree - bring the book cases back in a bit (back and forth, back and forth, sorry) so that they look like a little vignette which is actually what you are building in a way and good idea about the side table. Make it look like it belongs to both the couch and the sofa.

• mdln
    9 years ago

I like the 14:45 photo, would just pull the love seat out from the wall; maybe moving the sofa further down its wall toward the TV.

• User
    9 years ago

Musical furniture! I remember doing a lot of this! I agree with what Tibb said at 15:22. I would probably skip a sofa table. I don't know. It might start looking a little cluttered if you put lamps there, anything decorating, wall art, etc.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Is there enough space for the bookcases to flank the TV, if the TV is at an angle and maybe pulled out a bit?

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Mdln, that was my suggestion and she said there wasn't enough room.

• mdln
    9 years ago

@k9arlene - sorry, so many suggestions/responses, confused as to what will not work.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

What can I say except that great minds think alike. Lol.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And put the dog's bed in front of the French door that doesn't open so he/she can look out at the falling leaves, squirrels, etc. Dogs love thatâ¦usually! Keeps their brains stimulated too.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I do not know if this would work for you, but if it were my living roomâ¦I would set it up like this.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Wonderful mockup Aktillery. What software are you using?

• amykath
    9 years ago

homestyler.com

I love it!!! It is super easy to use. We are building and it has made decisions on everything so much easier! I highly recommend it. Sounds like I work for them. ha

• msrose
    9 years ago

aktillery's post is exactly what I was thinking!

• mdln
    9 years ago

Beautiful app! Is that almost the same layout she started with (except for moving love seat off the wall)?

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is what it would look like coming into the space from the hall (unfortunately it took the image from a very short person't perspective).

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is a shot from the angle of sitting on the couch. I added some curtains for fun.

• amykath
    9 years ago

mdln, yes it pretty much is.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

aktillery: Where did you put the bookcases?

• amykath
    9 years ago

I didn't. With everything in the room, I felt maybe the op could use them elsewhere in the house. Less cluttered. I suppose they could go right back to where they and the tv started originally.

• vall622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow. You guys are great with all this mock up stuff. I tried moving the loveseat in but it was so awkward in the path of the back door. I definitely like the arrangement now. The loveseat is in more on opposite side but that's the door that doesn't open. Thanks for all the great help