Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

help finding throw

daisychain01
10 years ago

We live in an extremely cold climate in an old and drafty house and now that we can feel winter coming, we are desperate for a good throw or two for our living room. I would like to buy in store so I can touch and feel texture and weight, but all I've found are throws made of acrylics and other synthetic fibres. These don't work for me. We've had and they just pill up right away and I don't like the feeling against my skin either. So if you have an online recommendation that you know feels nice, I'd love to hear.

Also, would like something that goes with the colour scheme - not necessarily match, but go. Walls are a dark caramel (F & B Dauphin), sofa is linen slipcover in light straw colour, chairs are white slipcovered. There is lots of dark stained woodwork, so I'm thinking something either lighter coloured or a pattern with a light colour in it.

Anyone have a favourite place to look at throws they could direct me to?

Comments (15)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Did you check LL bean? Vermont country store? Sierra Trading Post?

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

A wonderful knitted Irish Fisherman's throw. Usually made of soft wool and feels so good. Although with your environment, a twin bed blanket of same for more coverage. Have one for when the kids visit and company....tend to baby this. But it has been around for 15+ years and washes beautifully. That said, I use an electric twin in the winter to cuddle under, it is only out when in use. Not a throw per se.

Here is a link that might be useful: Knitted Fisherman throws/blankets

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I love my wool Woolrich throw, on one side, sherpa on the other. But not the cheapie looking and feeling sherpa. It has some weight to it but you won't suffocate. They are expensive but I just happened to find mine in a shop above an antique store. They sold lots of Woolrich items and the throw was on clearance. I'm not even sure Woolrich sells this particular throw anymore but it's like my Linus blankey in the winter. : )

Oh and mine is an earthy brown, rust, olive green plaid.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

This was given to me as a gift a few years ago, bought from QVC. It's my blankie and I can't lay down without it. It's a throw but when I have trouble sleeping at night in winter, I bring it to bed with me and tuck part of it under my chin, it's that soft. Okay, so I'm a big baby. lol.

I highly recommend it.

Here is a link that might be useful: QVC Throw

• yayagal
    10 years ago

If you have a Pottery Barn in your area, their fur throw is fabulous and comes in many colors. I saw mine in the store and then went on Ebay and got it at half the price.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Yes, I also have a PB fur throw and it's great. I also have a William Sonoma Home cashmere throw that was a Christmas gift several years ago and still looks great. Very soft. Overstock probably has cashmere throws too but who knows what they're like. Kennebunkport throws are nice and cushy and have a handmade look.

I have a great cable knit throw that I got from Garnet Hill a few years ago too, but it's a little itchy.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

What fabric are you looking for it to be made of?

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I went to the Woolrich web site but couldn't find my exact throw, but I noticed that what I was calling sherpa, they call "Berber". It looks more like what mine has on the reverse.

Earlier this summer I was browsing online for throws for the library and couldn't believe the prices - pretty high most of them.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

Williams-Sonoma has their cashmere throws on sale and shipping is free! I have a friend who is perpetually cold. She has these throws all over her house and in her cars. Even though it says "dry clean," she washes them with Woolite in cold water on the gentle cycle then hangs to dry. She said they come out fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: WS cashmere throw sale

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I feel warmer already! Thanks everyone. I think I just have to set a budget now. The WS ones are gorgeous, but I'd have to decide if I want new winter boots or a throw. I remember Woolrich from my childhood. I think I would love one, but would have to find one in store so I can touch. I'm definitely looking for a natural fibre. Either some sort of wool or a heavy cotton. I love the cococozy throw, but they are expensive and trendy and I picture something that will last forever. I guess I should spend the extra money if that's what I'm after. Thanks again!

• tarhlfan
    10 years ago

The Williams Sonoma throws sound heavenly. I have found a few nice ones at Marshalls, and they are very reasonable too.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I throw my wool throw into the machine as well - plus the dryer. My bad. It's slightly out of shape after all these years but I don't worry excessively about it or getting mussed or cat hairs on it anymore.

• Laurie
    10 years ago

This Peacock Alley throw just arrived at my home and I love how thick and warm it is!
    It's 100% cotton and measures 51" x 71".
    I machine washed & dried it and it came out perfect. This throw has a really nice textured binding and comes in 4 colors. I bought Flint which is a light gray.

My old LL Bean throw is nice, too. I've had it for years and it washes well. However, it's not cotton, not as thick, and a little smaller than the new throw.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peacock Alley Blanket/Throw at Sallie Home

• shadylady2u
    10 years ago

I just bought this throw at Kohls. Sherpa lined and really, really soft, warm, thick and cozy, and machine washable.
    The link is to the one I bought, but it comes in other colors/patterns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reversible throw

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

My sister-in-law bought me the throw from Kohls one year for Christmas. Pretty sure it's the same one, only a black and white plaid. Like shadylady2u says, it's very soft and warm. I use it across my lap when sitting in the library. If you get one of the darker colors you might notice that lint, hair and other bits tend to be attracted to it very easily.