Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missymoo12

Can't decide if this is ugly or not - help

missymoo12
9 years ago

CL
It has a marble top and its cheap. I'd paint the bottom gold or something. If I do I can always give it to my daughter :)
Not worried about it not working with anything else in the room.

Comments (16)

• klem1
    9 years ago

What do you have against your daughter? ) :

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I thin it's great. I'd paint the base a glossy black.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

If it's cheap enough and you don't like it after you paint it, you can put the marble on a different base. My coffee table is a marble remnant sitting on a dolly. It's beautiful and we can move it around.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think it depends on the room and what the other stuff looks like. I don't think there's much the matter with it in the right place. I think gold would be a little too Liberace though.

• jjam
    9 years ago

Not happening for me at all, except for the marble. If you could use the top somewhere I'd go for it.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

I agree with Pal-- gold would be too much.

Paint depends on the room. I could see Tribbs's suggestion of black or keep as-is. With a different top (which defeats the purpose of this purchase!) I can see a lacquered emerald, too.

• missymoo12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Even my daughter said gold is too much! But I do like the glossy black paint idea. Or the emerald - Anele that's a good idea!
    Pal, I don't have anything else for the room yet, just ideas. I so need help on this room but I'm still painting and not ready to post pics yet.
    Yeah why would I start with this right? Guess I should throw it out to you all for decorating advice; once I get it ready for pictures.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Can you cut off the whirlygigs and just have the dental molding and the tapered legs? Then I'd be all about it.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

That is a brilliant idea to remove the "whirlygigs". Love that word.

Looks like it would be easy to remove (if you are repainting).

• missymoo12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha Kiwi That's what I thought of first - then use the curlies for a mirror frame. I have too many "projects" already and have to get this house finished so can't waste too much time hacking coffee tables.
    I have coffee in the morning and scope CL and just saw this and thought...
    Gotta go paint now.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I think it depends on your room totally. I really covet zimmerman pieces and think it would work with them...

Some for sale that I WANT (but will not buy because I have to acknowledge my real life with toddlers :) )

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I need to stop looking at CL :P

:)

• allieboop
    9 years ago

Love the table as is.

• jlj48
    9 years ago

I like it as is too.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I was also thinking dark rather than gold, but more of an espresso. The whirlygigs might come off easily -- worst case , it's a small sawing job that even I would tackle (may find all you are cutting through is glue, but not a lot of wood either way) and then a sheet of sandpaper and it would be ready to paint.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

It's not horrible it's just "out of style". The marble is particularly unlikable