Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

New table design...opinions wanted

Annie Deighnaugh
9 years ago

We need a real table in our bkfst nook which is set into a bay windows. The current temporary table was something DH banged together out of scrap.

We want the same shape for the top as it works so well for the seating and a trestle style on the bottom. We have a segmental arch theme in our home and would like to carry that theme into the table trestle. Here is our inspiration piece.

We met with our woodworker...he does such fabulous work. We brought him our narra wood planks and unfortunately, there's no way to make our planks work...the plan now for them is to turn them into a new coffee table for the library...but that'll be at a later date.

So now the table will have to be made from veneer. And there are so many to choose from...though I have a thing for birdseye maple.

So the question is, would it look right to have a birdseye maple top with a darker frame in the space? DH doesn't think so...he thinks it's too dated.

I'm also a nut for book matched graining...maybe something like this walnut...or in a mahogany...

Or maybe combine the bookmatch with the frame...

I'm open to suggestions, opinions, or favorite table tops you've seen or owned that may help give us a direction...right now, I'm in the overwhelm phase as there's so much beautiful stuff out there and need help parsing it down.

Comments (103)

• voila
    9 years ago

I think the mahogany would be beautiful, AnnieD. I think you are on the right track. P.S. Ever heard of seamstress?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Just a random thought; can you double the size of your table? I think what I can't shake is the idea of a formal treatment for an asymmetric table; but if it were double ... then...? Is that an idea?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Love the cherry with narrow band closer to the table edge.

Your table looks nothing like an RV. That's a strange association anyway, who has seen a travel trailer table often enough to even remember what it looks like? If they do, that's THEIR context--- sort of like a parent who passes on a baby name because some girl he hated in third grade had the same name :-)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Voila, I hang out on a sewing forum and they refer to each other as sewists, not seamstresses or sewers. Seamstress always sounds sexist to me connoting little old ladies working in sweatshops.

mtnrd, the reason why the table is designed as it is is to maximize usage in a minimum of space. The sofa is next to the table and we have to leave a walkway behind it so the table is about as wide as it can get. Perhaps that's why people are getting the winnebago feeling...though I'd prefer a yacht connotation....as it's designed for function first. But maybe we can turn the top into a hex and still get function? I don't know. I'll have to play with it.

kswl, you reminded me of my gf who was an elem school teacher and she complained about naming her own son because so she knew so many children, many with less than pleasant associations. I liken it to how many people embraced drum shades but to me they always reminded me of the dirty, ratty, smoke filled, dried up burlap things of my youth. Not an association they have, but one that I do.

Here is a link that might be useful: sewer vs sewist

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update on the table. I met with our architect and below is a design that he came up with, using a book match between the segments with the same letters... he's thinking it would look good with a narrow ebony frame and maybe use the ebony to define the arc as well. It is similar to the sunburst pattern that our mason put into the slate flooring under our woodstove. I sent the sketch off to the cabinet maker to get his take on it...

What say ye? I'm not seeing winnebago here (couldn't you at least say yacht???)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think it is a bit too elaborate for a breakfast nook, IMHO. I am not sure how it would look to bookmatch when the pieces are unequal (as in A and C)..

I like the version from Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 0:26

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I like the style of the latest iteration, but not substantially better than the former shape. I do think the arcs make the top too busy.....the edge banding is a nice, and sufficient touch, IMO.

The bookmatch plan might also make the table a bit busy as you have a lot of pieces there in a relatively small area, but I just cannot tell from a sketch. I do like the concept of a fine furniture table in your kitchen, but unless your cabinets are of equal quality the table might look almost too nice, iykwim.

• deegw
    9 years ago

I still see a disconnect between the style of the proposed tables and the built in bench. The bench is casual, simple and has very little trim. Would it be possible to change the finish on the bench to better match the finish and formality of the new table?

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Have you considered building it out of plain solid wood and rounding not only all of the corners, but the edges as well? I wonder if the softness of that style, de-emphasizing the shape, would be nice against all the angles of the space.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

The sharply angled edges are not welcoming, IMO, but unsure if there's another option for your space, and am definitely not liking any versions with a band. Such a warm , lovely area.
    O.T. So, so very sorry about your awful ankle accident. Heal quickly!

• suero
    9 years ago

Even without the banding, the bookmatch makes the table look way to busy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the mock-up suero...I think you're right about how busy it is. DH wants it more plain anyway. I'm certainly hearing the message from all of you.

I sent the sketch to the woodworker who promptly informed me that it would about quadruple the price with all the piecing and bookmatching. (Open check book architecture indeed!)

So now I'm going back to a board top vs veneer and something that looks, not rustic, but more old world...more along the lines of the original inspiration table. I can always talk to him about easing the edges some rather than the sharp angles, though fundamentally the shape has to stay as is.

I appreciate everyone's input so much. It really helps keep me on track.

And thanks martinca...it can't heal none too quick!

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

I'm late to the discussion, but have you considered a table without the one straight side? I think that what gives the table as you are discussing it an "upscale Winnegago" look is that straight edge. In a motorhome space is at a premium, and the straight edge keeps the table from taking up too much floor space. But it looks like you have enough room for the table to curve out into the room a bit, and I really think that it would help the look. I'm thinking of a shape like this:

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A change in shape has been suggested many times and is out of the question. There is a narrow walkway between the table and the couch so it cannot be substanially wider, and an oval or other shape limits our ability to seat as many around the table as we can now. Right now, we can comfortably sit 7. The shape is fixed. Form follows function.

And frankly, to me, it doesn't look winnebago...that was suggested by others. To me, it looks eminently practical.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

If the more complex table shape stays the same, then you need to simplify the appearance in another way, not make it more complex. A kitchen table certainly doesn't need the formality that the specialty veneers are forcing onto the appearance. Dining table, sure. Kitchen table, no.

Plain cherry that matches your cabinets would work the best as far as material. For the top, plain cherry. Or white painted base and plain cherry top. If you were to redo either the seat or back cushions of the banquette to be matching, then you could do a simple more decorative veneer top. But with the three different fabrics, and the other visual stimulation that the area has, simple will be better.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Alright. I'm going to come right out and say it.

The thread seems mistitled. The word "not" seems to be missing.

Annie, I understand you want this shape. It's OK--it's your house! But own it. You keep talking about it in the passive voice: "changes are not under consideration...not possible...the shape is fixed." Of course it's not fixed. Of course it's possible to change it. It's custom. You can have the table made in the shape of a chicken if you want to. But you don't want to. And that's fine. You don't need anybody else's approval to do what you want in your own house.

I bring this up because I rarely see this much consensus on GW. That table shape may be practical (I don't see quite how, since it actually doesn't follow the shape of the banquette, but whatever). But it's just...weird. Sorry. It's weird. And everything you do to fancify it simply draws even more attention to how weird it is.

If you want people's opinions, you've got them. Over and over. Consistently. The shape isn't popular but if you want it, keep it as simple as possible. Chill out on the book matches and the inlays and the borders. It's pretty clear by now that you're not going to convince most of us otherwise, so you can stop trying.

The good news is, you don't have to! It's your house. Do what you want! Nobody's going to come to dinner and say, "Freaky, dude, what's up with this table?" First, you don't seem like the kind of person to have rude friends. Second, you have a lovely and well-appointed house, so whether the table is weird or not, it just kind of doesn't matter that much.

I think folks could probably help you choose between two or three simple wood choices. But as far as showing us a fancy choice and having a chorus of people stand up and cry, "That's it! We were wrong!"--I really don't think that's gonna happen.

Own it! And be proud!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

How about nice walnut burl formica with a bullnose maple edge stained black? It is always going to be covered with a tablecloth anyway. It's only a dinette table, not the Queen's receiving room at the Court of St. James.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Genuine formica burl!

• camlan
    9 years ago

I would be so torn. The wood samples you have shown us are beautiful, and I love a nice wood grain table top.

But in this instance, I think it would be better to go with the board top.

Then design an end table or coffee table or night stand or credenza using some of the veneers that you love.

Sigh. I keep envisioning a storage armoire with front and sides of that waterfall bubinga . . . .

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I think going back to boards that will blend with your kit will look very nice. I imagine it will price out less expensive too.
    Now that you saved some money I think you might need a small candle table somewhere in your home with one of the beautiful veneers. ðÂÂÂ

This post was edited by eandhl on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 18:14

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Just read through this thread briefly and maybe we don't need another opinion and it might have been touched on, but Annie, that trestle table in your OP, with the arch. It's gorgeous! And you are planning a stunning wood, book matched top? Perfect! But PLEASE I beg you - do the top in the elongated oval that terriks posted. It's what the table is calling for if you do that trestle. And if you already have the arch thing going in your house... It would be an heirloom. If you do the angled top - no heirloom; just utilitarian. You could have the table-maker make it oval first then try it in your house to see how you like it. If you hate it, he could always take a circular saw to it and cut in your angles.
    I would keep the simplicity of no borders on the top.
    I love that trestle so much I want the carpenters name...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

missymoo, I'm presuming the table will stay with the house for whomever the next owner will be. We have no need for heirlooms in our family as DH and I are both the end of the line. But I do appreciate your input. I can just see the woodworker collapsing at the thought of taking a circular saw to his work! Yikes!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

marcolo, thank you for your post. I get it. I hear it loud and clear. People don't like the oddly shaped top. But we are not going to change the shape as it is perfect for the spot. It may not show it in the pic, but the shape is derived exactly from the seating and maximizes the use of the nook. A bird's eye view of the table would show that. Though I keep getting it, I am NOT looking for more input on the shape. (I have to admit, this is the first time I've been critiqued for my choice of voice in a post.)

But within the constraint of the shape, I AM looking for opinions on the "fabric" of the top, if you will...the wood, the pattern, the color, the variation in wood tones, etc. And I am listening to the majority opinion that simple is better. It is in alignment with what DH wants as well. And I can see a nice thick board top that brings in a less formal, old world look to the table.

But understand that this is the first time I've designed a custom table. This is the first time I've really stepped into the world of veneers and exotic woods and things like figured woods and book matching grains and bird's eye and burls and waterfall. So it's only natural that I'd want to explore where those possibilities could take me. So my bad...I fell in love with the woods and opportunities and wanted to explore them. So now that I'm in love, with everyone's help, I'm coming back to earth and recognizing that my dream opportunity is not to be ... for the 2nd time. (The first was a hope that we could use vintage narra wood, a sentimental gift from a family friend over 50 years ago...it won't work.) I'm not trying to convince you or anyone of anything...I'm trying to convince myself.

So if I seem slow to come around, that's why. It should not be interpreted as being closed to or unappreciative of all the comments and thoughts people have shared with me, including yours.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Apparently we're not the first looking at an odd-ball shaped table top that works with bay window seating.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 22:01

• sherwoodva
    9 years ago

Annie, the wood that you have shared is gorgeous. Have you considered keeping the table you have and getting a custom coffee or tea table for the LR? The figured wood would look so much better in a "statement" piece of furniture.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I get it. It's like going into a design center for the first time after all the sameness of retail catalogues. The wonderful world of custom.

Why not pour all that creativity into a table that's better suited to it? A cocktail or side table or console somewhere else in your house?

Meanwhile, looking at your last pic, it looks to me that the more closely the table mimics the finishes of the bench, the more logical its design seems.

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Annie, I think your picture at 21:45 illustrates the discomfort some have with the shape of your table top. The one you show at 21:45 has the same angles as the seating (5 sided) where your seating has three turns/angles, but your tabletop has five. It isn't pleasing to the eye and it seems like the person sitting in the first outer section would get poked with the table corner. Not trying to change your mind, just telling you what I see. I do think the tabletop material needs to be plain/simple-not be the star.

• voila
    9 years ago

The picture you show has much more depth. and five benches instead of three. The picture is quite pleasing, because of size and depth. There is no way that you can say your five sided table matches your three sided benches.

• voila
    9 years ago

double post

This post was edited by voila on Thu, Nov 27, 14 at 11:42

• kellysar
    9 years ago

I think if you add an apron (similar to your 21:45 post) or else use a really thick top, your table is going to look very nice. I also like the look of a simple top and the trestle painted to match the finish of the benches.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

besides the number of angles on your top vs the one at 21:45, note the wood used for the top... and the color used on the base.

what would happen if you made your top 3 angles in back/sides and then have it curve around on each end into the straight outer side?

• deegw
    9 years ago

Can you post a photo of your table from a different angle? Maybe it will help us see what you see or perhaps someone can give you an out of the box suggestion about shape.

The table and bench that you posted at 21:45 is lovely but really doesn't make a case for your argument. It has an angled table and built in benches but that's where the similarities end.

My oven just warmed up and beeped. Off to start cooking. Happy Thanksgiving to all. AD hope you enjoy your day and that your ankle is not causing you too much pain.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have to extend the top because if we went with only a table that matched the 3 sides of the bench and then came straight across, it would be too narrow to use....only about 18" deep at the widest and coming to an odd point at either end.

I think a table that was half rounded and half angled would look really weird...far weirder than what we are planning.

I know everyone is reacting to the shape of the table top, but believe me, it works well IRL, it fits the shape well, it is completely functional and comfortable to use, and, thanks Marcolo, I'm owning it...it is the shape we are going with. DH and I have played with and toyed with the shape of the top for several years. We have tried it 8 ways to Sunday and this is the shape we want and like. We have listened to all your suggestions, but none of them work as well as this.

And to paraphrase Marcolo, I don't think anyone at this point is going to come up with a better shape that will make us jump up and shout, "that's it!"

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I think you need to stand on a kitchen chair and photograph the table from above.

Then forget about that photo. We want to see the one your husband takes of you standing on a chair balancing two crutches and a camera.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol! Happy Tgiving to you as well, Marcolo!

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

OK then. I would aim for a rustic farmhouse look, with thick pine boards, eased on all edges, finished with Briwax in a mix of their neutral plus a touch of light brown shades (can't recall the names).

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I showed this to DH and he said it looks nice, similar to our set up, but pointed out that the people on the wings will not be comfortable as the table curves away from them vs. our design. Still I thought all of you pushing for an oval would like to see it.

• voila
    9 years ago

That does look very nice. I imagine that people aren't eating a six course dinner there. Do you think it would work? The enders might have to edge up a little more to eat, maybe. How often do you have seven people eating in this spot? Hmm...decisions, decisions. Happy Thanksgiving. Hope your ankle is doing well.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Annie, I like the shape of your table. It maximizes your seating and works in the space, isn't that the raison d'être of table design?

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Mike121
    9 years ago

For me oval or round shaped tables reciprocates togetherness with the family members. Moreover roman blinds can be installed over the windows for privacy as well as sunlight. Give a thought.

• deegw
    9 years ago

As mentioned above, how often do you have seven people at that table? If it's once or twice a week, definitely go with function over form. If it's less often I would reexamine if function is really the most important consideration.

This post was edited by deee on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 9:44

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

The problem you need to figure out has nothing to do with the shape of the table. It has to do with the design and flow of the home. And why 7 people would feel compelled to squish around that table in the first place. Why isn't the dining room used more? Is it off the beaten path? What hampers it's connectivity with the rest of the space that people would rather cram themselves into that itty bitty space?

Either the DR isn't close enough, or is too formal. Something. Or, you planned for a formal life and really live a casual life. And that little nook is actually too small for your real life. It's really just a 4 person space, so if it regularly sees more than that, while the DR goes unused, then maybe it would be a better adjustment to the household if the bay were larger. Large enough to gracefully and generously hold the amount of people that you are trying to accomodate. Without a kludged shaped table that still barely has enough of a traffic path behind it and the family room. Drop back and analyze the whole instead of getting lost in the details of trying to make something work that really doesn't work very well.

• pattyxlynn
    9 years ago

I know I'm more of a lurker than contributor, but I'm shaking my head over this whole thread, which I've followed for days.

Annie has repeatedly said she does not want to change the shape of the table. Yet 90% of the comments are aimed at getting her to change her mind.

In our Virginia house, we have 4,000 sq feet for entertaining. Despite spreading food around; having various comfortable conversation areas; once even having nothing on the kitchen island but a centerpiece, people still like to congregate in the kitchen area. They migrate there with their food and drinks anyway and enjoy hanging out it that area.

So Annie's desire to seat seven people around the table might not have a single thing to do with the rest of her house, but the fact that people like to sit around kitchen areas. I have super fond memories of sitting for hours at the kitchen table with my Mom, Great Aunt, and Grandmother, listening to them talk.

I can't imagine why more people don't seem to want to help with the original questions of the top of the table, and not the shape of it, even though Annie has repeatedly asked for said help and stated many times that she and her husband like the design of the table, it suits them, is comfortable for their guests, and they don't want to change it.

Sorry, rant over! Back to my semi-lurking. :D

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Lol, Pattylynn! This thread reminds me of some of the Fodor site threads in which people ask for specific help with certain aspects of their itinerary (hotels, trains, car rental, etc) and many people start out by saying things like "there's no point in going to Paris (or Rome or Venice, etc) if you are not spending at least a week there. And even though you have relatives in Cherbourg there is no point in going there, you should go to (little known town in Burgundy) instead, in fact here's what we did on our last European trip, yadda yadda yadda.... ad nauseum.

Annie is a good sport to put up with all this nonsense!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I am laughing at this thread...some of the people who are first to offer advice on things other than the original question on many other threads, are now chiding others for doing the same thing: trying to get the op to see what many of us see, an odd space that a fancy table top is going to make worse. I think most people are being kind and gentle about it and when there is such consensus, perhaps the op will actually open her mind to the possibility of something better than what she thinks is perfect. Maybe not, but like Marcopolo said, it's hers to live with, we don't have to.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

I absolutely love the frameless table you posted on Nov 8, 14 at 0:05.
    If you go with a gorgeous wood top, you will need to make sure the coating is bullet proof. I would do the table top in satin (30) or less, no matter which top you chose.
    Your kitchen is lovely and I can see why you want beautiful wood and finishes.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

".....I can't imagine why more people don't seem to want to help with the original questions of the top of the table, and not the shape of it, even though Annie has repeatedly asked for said help and stated many times that she and her husband like the design of the table, it suits them, is comfortable for their guests, and they don't want to change it. "
    Firstly, I see all the negative comments( mine, too) as a true desire to help a valued contributor to this board. No one came across as pushily ego driven.

And Kswl, I also appreciate Annie's good nature, but I don't see the replies as "nonsense". ( which I know you typed with a smile) .
    Harking back to a recent thread on.. I can t remember what, I referenced the value of the group dynamic . Example: A member of the group has been told by his family that ( making up something silly ) he has bad breath. He denies this vigorously......until having it affirmed by everyone ( strangers to him) in the group, whereupon he then sees the light.
    Rather a wild analogy for a decor issue. We can't really see or live in Annie's space, yet were I Annie, all these opinions would give me pause enough to "drop back", as Holly suggests and reassess......and I'm betting she has, and found it interesting, if not applicable to her situation.
    What I'm attempting to say here is that all opinions , whether negative or positive are a good thing if given in the right spirit, and what I so appreciate about this forum.
    Marti

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you pattyxlynn. I really appreciate that someone else notices exactly what I've been seeing in this thread. I certainly can't fault folks around here for lacking persistence. I have listened, reconsidered and still the answer is the same.

KSWL, thank you too. What seems to be hard for folks to grasp is DH and I like the shape of the table. We don't see it as odd or winnebago. We see the half octagon as very useful and practical. That's why we are willing to shell out the bucks to get a custom made table. It works much better than anything "off the shelf" could.

hollysprings, I often appreciate your contributions, but your last comment goes too far. To go from a discussion of the shape of a table in a nook, to implying there is something fundamentally wrong with my lifestyle, suggesting that our 7 years spent designing our custom home which perfectly meets our needs lacks thoughtfulness and quality of analysis, and impugning my ability to entertain and properly hostess guests in our home, really goes too far. And I just don't see how you can consider the suggestion, that we rebuild a 2 story bay window just to use a table you think is of appropriate shape, a useful one.

You, and apparently others, are really missing my fundamental point. The existing table, even with it's scrap lumber material, roughshod assembly, and painted finish works fabulously well for us. It is why we are willing to pay the money to get a custom made table for the spot. If we were willing to compromise on the functionality, we'd just hit some pottery barn back room and be done with it. But we are not.

So dear co-posters, don't get me wrong. I do appreciate the time and effort and all the comments and inputs that everyone has made, but for the 8th and final time, the shape of the top has been decided. It's done. We like it. We're going with it. La fine.

Thanks sixtyohno, didn't want your kind words to get lost in the latest shuffle. I will certainly have a good discussion with our woodworker about table top finish to make sure it's durable. He has a couple of boys he's raising, so he's very familiar with that requirement.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 20:21

• texas_angel
    8 years ago

I hope you were delighted with your final result. :)

I'm loving the look of your inspiration table photo, as we too, have a theme of arches. Can you tell me where its from, so I can reach out to them? The shape works well for our space.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

texas-angel, the inspiration table is from Dorset Custom Furniture in VT.

• texas_angel
    8 years ago

Thank you!!

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz