Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl2

Little Makeover for Hall Bathroom

kswl2
9 years ago

I've ignored this bathroom for years! We had it painted it three or four years ago and the color turned out to be an unfortunate blue green I didn't like, but too many other projects took precedence over changing it. The bathroom is off a small vestibule that leads to a short, wide stair of five steps down to the hall from which our library opens. It doesn't get much use, but it's there and was looking terrible. So when Handy Guy came down for a couple of days this week to redo DS2's closet we did a quick makeover of the bathroom.

Painted the walls Sherwin Williams' Believable Buff, got 20 year old Ralph Lauren towels out of basement storage (along with a plaid cotton rug that was there stored for 10 years), moved burlap matted prints from the downstairs bathroom upstairs and into this one, as they look fab with the burlap shower curtain. We had painted the vanity a neutral olive gray when the walls were painted years ago, and it looks great with the new wall color!

I wish I had "before" pictures of the room, but just try to imagine a bathroom with no natural light, painted a strange blue green that fought with the vanity, the floor, and the shower curtain!

When we finished this I thought how wonderful it would look with brick floors! That may be the next project ;-)

I don't normally hang things so high on a wall with no furniture, but the ceiling in this room is 12' high, for some reason---

-

Comments (11)

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

Very cute. Don't you just love shopping at home?

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I do! It's easy and saves money!

The bathroom is long and narrow, it really has no purpose except when we have parties it is nice to have two hall baths on this floor. I had the prints in our basement bathroom but moved them out to make way for a 64" trumeau mirror delivered yesterday. The prints and mirror together were too much for that bathroom, and the mirror won. Luckily the prints spent only a half day in the decorative accessories graveyard, lol :-)

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

kswl

another project well done.
    your home never ceases to amaze me, it seems like it is huge

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

What a lovely makeover. I agree with Dee that it's fun to shop from home. I wish I had a slew of rooms to use for storage.

• jjam
    9 years ago

What a lovely bathroom! I'd love to do something with our powder room but it's so small you can barely turn around in it. Would love to have a generous size like yours.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

It looks great (as do all of your decorating projects, both the big and the small!).

Loved this line; "the decorative accessories graveyard!"

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

The "decorative accessories graveyard." Love that phrase. I wish I had a basement for that sort of thing.

I like what you've done there, and yes, I can see it with a brick floor too.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

You did a great job of this bath and it is fun shopping in "our storage." I like doing that with clothes too. We rent a storage house for "stuff" we might want to take back home someday.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Most people I've met have a decorative accessories graveyard :-) I used to have a gift closet too but finally gave that up when I realized I was buying things that were TOO generic and not suitable for anybody.

This is an interior bathroom that hasn't much to recommend it. We use this as the "medicine bathroom." All our OTC medicines are in that vanity----- cold relief in the top left drawer, first aid kit, bandaids and bandages and neosporin in another, ace bandages, arm and finger splints in another, upset tummy in another, etc. We don't keep any prescription stuff here but it is really convenient to keep all this type thing in one location.

I'm thinking a brick floor would really take it up a notch or three, give it one great feature.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Great transformation! :)

Love the color -- and the "home-found" accessories!

Well done! :)

P.S. Another job for The Power of Paint! :)

• trailrunner
    9 years ago

Wow...amazing what so little did to make it so MUCH ! Great job. If you rarely use it for anything other than storage I don't know that I would do anymore to it...brick floor etc...it looks great now ! c