Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polly929

Help with a backsplash on a MAJOR Budget

polly929
15 years ago

My husband and I renovated the kitchen in our 100 yr old home. It was a DIY job and I'm afraid we have run out of money and never did the backsplash. With that said, I decided to just do without it and paint the walls. But behind the stove I would like to put an inexpensive backsplash. I had the idea to use antique, salvaged tin ceiling tiles and thought it would look cool. But with those the paint is often chipping off. Does anyone know if there is a way I can seal them? Can I use some sort of clear coat to prevent paint peeling and to make it easier to clean? Anyone with any other unique ideas? Just to give you a little more info we have a stainless steel hood and cooktop, soapstone counters and coffee glazed maple cabinets. I would post a pic, but I have a loner laptop, and I can't upload anything onto it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (10)

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I would ask the Paint board about how to get the best, most durable finish on those tiles. I think it's a great look, btw. Even if you have to touch up or repaint in a few years, it would be worth it, imo. You could even change the color easily, something I love to do.

• caminnc
    15 years ago

Maybe you could strip all the paint off with a chemical stripper and not paint them at all.

• polly929
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks- I posted over on the paint forum.
    I want to keep the ceiling tiles with their "chippy" look, and not have a metal colored backsplash. I already have SS appliances and I did not want the backsplash to be the same. My other concern is if there may be lead in the paint, I would want them sealed since I have small children. I am open to other ideas for a unique inexpensive backsplash, any suggestions?

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

How about having a framed piece of beadboard as a backsplash. As long as you use a very scrubable paint, I think it would be durable. Frame it out in wood trim, or in an actual open picture frame.

Here is a link that might be useful: I know you don't want ss, but these are CHEAP!

• bbstx
    15 years ago

Someone on the kitchen forum recommended Benjamin Moore Regal Interior paint. They said it was scrubbable, and even resisted staining from grease splatters from fried foods. Here is a description of the paint from the HGTV website:

Regal® Premium Interior Finishes Matte Finish by Benjamin Moore is 100% acrylic flat enamel paint that features excellent stain resistance. It contains microscopic ceramic beads and proprietary stain release technology that together create a protective surface that resists the absorption of stains. Most common household stains can be easily removed with mild soap and water. Available in white, a variety of ready-mixed off-whites and and Benjamin Moore Color Preview Bases.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

You'll find all BM paint are very durable and will stand up to multiple scrubbings.

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

There's always anaglypta paintable wallpaper. You could faux paint it to give the look of age and then seal it.
    I wouldn't even bring anything into my home that I MIGHT have lead paint on it. Especially with children in your home. It's just not worth it. And putting it near a food sourse is even scarier.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I have a new piece of tin ceiling behind my range and we absolutely are in love with it. It has regular Behr eggshell interior paint on it and I think polyurethane also in an eggshell finish. It is super easy to wipe off.
    For an old piece of tin I would just apply several thin coats of polyurethane in the finish that you like. that will seal it up just fine.
    We are totally DIY too. Please ignore the plywood- that has been replaced with windows and DH is in process of finish sanding molding before painting ( yay)

• polly929
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cooperbailey-
    LOVE your kitchen!! I think we have the same style cabinetry on our island. Thank you- that was exactly what I was looking for, if I could put some poly over them to maintain their look and prevent chipping paint over a place where I cook. Our total DIY started in June 2007, still need trim, a cabinet door, a door for my basement, light fixtures ( I have temporary ones right now) and paint color for the walls- they are currently primed in white. So your one piece of plywood pales in comparison to my DIY kitchen, it really looks beautiful.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Cooper, love your drawer pulls! ;)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz