Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indygo

Paint color to go with (sigh) almond kitchen!

indygo
16 years ago

My kitchen appliances, countertops, cabinets and backsplash are all almond. The kitchen faces west, used to have wallpaper, and at its best got an inside-of-a-shell glow in the late afternoon. Rooms surrounding it are decatur buff and hepplewhite ivory. Trim is cloud white. I need a color to paint the wallspace, perhaps a bit lighter than the almond, that won't make it look dirty until I repaint the cabinets and get a new countertop. I was thinking cream or ivory or even a light blue. Actually, I don't know what to think! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (24)

• mclarke
    16 years ago

Does it have to be lighter?

Choosing a color slightly darker might make the counters seem brighter and less "dirty."

What about a nice powdery cocoa brown?

{{!gwi}}

• indygo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you mclarke. That's a beautiful color and would look great. My problem is that the kitchen is very dark for most of the day, and I'm afraid this would make it even darker. I'll pick up some samples though.

• DYH
    16 years ago

I was just in two new Parade of Homes houses ($1+ million) that had almond cabinets. The walls were a really nice deep teal in one, but I understand your concern for light. The other was a Hampton style trying to replicate the kitchen in "Somethings Gotta Give" movie. They used a robin's egg blue with almond cabinets and almond subway tiles and a pickled beadboard ceiling. The counters were not the black, they used a brown/cream/taupe granite.

Cameron

• premier
    16 years ago

I think it is necessary to see a photo of your kitchen before suggesting a color. All almond is not the same shade. I think you are right in being concerned about the kitchen looking to dark. The fact that the kitchen is dark already would sway me away from dark colors.

• mclarke
    16 years ago

"an inside-of-a-shell glow in the late afternoon..."

Sorry, Indi, I didn't read as carefully as I should have when I suggested a darker color. I didn't realize that your kitchen was dark. I got lost in the image of an "inside-of-a-shell glow" and started dreaming about colorful drinks with little paper umbrellas, lol...

A darker color would probably be a mistake if your kitchen is already dark.

Is it possible to post photos?

• patricianat
    16 years ago

My kitchen is "already dark" and the red I had did not change the light when I switched to dry sage or beige. It is still a dark room but the glorious colors just made it look grander and more important.

• indygo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your help! I'm going to pick up some samples today and will let you know what I decide!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Steer away from light colors with almond. That is what I had and went with a light creme color, a beige color, and on and on and the red was the color that was best in my kitchen when I had almost appliances, countertops, etc.

• twg7590
    16 years ago

I used Laura Ashley Gold 4 in my almond kitchen. I love it!

a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">

• twg7590
    16 years ago

My appliances are all almond. I painted my oak cabinets Sherwin Williams Antique White and it is a perfect match to my almond appliances. Wall paint is Laura Ashley Gold 4.

Hope this helps!

• indygo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

twg7590, your kitchen is gorgeous!! I'm going to get the Gold 4 chip and perhaps some red chips as well--thanks, patricia. I never would have thought of those colors with almond, but it works!

• DYH
    16 years ago

I found a photo of the POH kitchen with the deep robins egg blue walls. The photos look a little dark compared to what they looked like in person.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: walls of a different color

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Won, that almost looks like Reno's kitchen!

• msrose
    16 years ago

chicoryflower - I was going to say the same thing!

Laurie

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Whoah! You're not kidding!

I like reno's chandys better than those pendants :).

• igloochic
    16 years ago

If you do go dark (and I would, but then again, I've embraced my dark side) I'd go chocolate...and use a gloss paint. The reflective surface helps the room glow in a positive manner. Really, it's stunning against almond. Your cabinets will pop, which will heighten the lightness of the room since there are normally far more cabinets than wall space in a kitchen.

• teedup1
    16 years ago

I'll opine with using darker paint. There's no way a kitchen with all almond cabinets and appliances can be dark looking. I like the first paint sample Powdery Cocoa.

• loribee
    16 years ago

TWG...what a gorgeous kitchen.
    I would try the LA Gold #3 paint chip as well.
    I found that to be a pretty color that goes with everything!
    That will brighten your kitchen right up~
    Good luck,
    Lori

• DYH
    16 years ago

Here's another parade home that we visited. You can't tell with the photograph, but that L shaped island behind the banquette is a teal color.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: another color

• smile
    16 years ago

wonbyherwits:

Thank you for those links! I visited these homes last weekend and they were beautiful. There was also one in NW Chapel Hill (fully furnished) that I also enjoyed looking at. Did you have any other favorites? I didn't see all of them, just the ones that were convienent to me.

• DYH
    16 years ago

Smile -- Zinn Design? if it wasn't this one, go see the Zinn house in Claremont off Homestead Road. Carol Ann did some really fresh and new ideas with her color scheme with gray, browns, etc. Her tilework is always beautiful, too. The house is 6600sf on 4 floors (basement and walk up attic).

I didn't know that you're in Chapel Hill, too. Drop me an email.

Cameron

• indygo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions! I painted the kitchen this weekend and love it! I did end up going a bit darker than the almond, and I did end up going toward more of a gold/brown--the decatur buff I have in another room. I can't believe the difference. Suddenly the cabinets look good! I may not have to paint them for a few more years.
    I'll post a picture when I get my camera back from my daughter.
    Thanks again for your help!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

We look forward to seeing it, glad you got it done. I painted my beige bathroom Sawdust this weekend, similar to Green Tea.