Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homersmom

Ottoman has arrived - your thoughts on rugs?

homersmom
10 years ago

The leather ottoman for the sitting room has arrived. I am now searching for a rug and have run into a bit of trouble. I am a very "vanilla" decorator, so I thought a traditional rug pattern was the way to go, but I don't care for the contrast between the chair and the rug. What do you think about a leopard print that would tie together the brown and black in the room? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (32)

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a pic with a traditional rug - it has all the right colors but is too overpowering for my taste.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I would go with something more light and airy that also has some bits of contrasting colors. Here is a photo of a rug I purchased on Overstock.com

• amykath
    10 years ago

After looking at my photo next to yours, I am thinking a deeper color would work better. Sorry to confuse.

I am not seeing the leopard print personally. Maybe someone will post one in their living room. I have to see it in place to get a good idea. I guess I am seeing more of a traditional rug in your space.

I love your ottoman! Great choice and the rest of the room is beautiful as well. Whatever you do decide is sure to look wonderful in an already lovely room.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I think it would look good! Houzz has a few good pics of rooms with leopard print rugs and they do read as a neutral .

[Traditional Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2107) by Charlotte General Contractors Arbor Construction Group LLC

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I'm not suggesting these style rugs. I don't know if you're set on a traditional style or contemporary style rug. I'd suggest considering rugs that have minimal border. It will make the space visually larger.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Not sure if you sofa is grey or blue, but if you want leopard, these rugs with minimal gold might work from Overstock.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly, the sofa is a sage green.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I like this rug in your room. Ads a bit of whimsey and is more playful than a regular traditional rug. Seems to have all the colors in your room.

Not sure how well it works with the fabric on the chair, because I can't see it in your photo. Should help make the room a bit brighter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock Rug

• lizzie_grow
    10 years ago

Your room is so lovely....I think a leopard print would look great because it would finish off the room but keep a neutral look.

I got a small rug from Overstock last year & love it...didn't use it where I thought I would (too small), but layered it over carpet in our bedroom & it is great & good quality.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't have my heart set on a leopard rug-I just want to find something that will work with my furnishings. I can always recover the secretary chair with a leopard print seat if I really feel the need to have a little animal print in the room.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of the chair!

• jab65
    10 years ago

I really like your traditional rug for the winter months. Looks warm and cozy. I switch out rugs by season to lighten up in summer and warm up for winter.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I think the second rug Beverly posted would look stunning. It brings all the tones together.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly -Thank you for photoshopping the rug into my room. I like the look! Also, thank you to all posters for the nice comments on my room. I appreciate your kind words.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found a rug at Tuesday Morning - maybe a bit on the small side, but it seems to play well with the furniture. Your thoughts?

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a shot of the chair, rug and ottoman together.

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

It plays well with all the elements, but IMO, is definitely too small, and detracts from the grouping because of this.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Beverly, you are amazing! You always come up with the perfect rug or rugs!

I love the new rug you purchased HM but I do think it is a bit too small.

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

Maybe a large sisal or seagrass rug underneath and use the smaller rug as an accent?

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love this rug, but the only other size they have is 8X10 which would be way too big for the space. Bummer.....

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

Like these.

Here is a link that might be useful: [layered look[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/pottery-barn-traditional-living-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~4820499)

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Love the one Beverly posted, it's got everything you need to make the room sing.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lesmobo - thanks for the link. I'm not sure I would like the look of sisal in here, but I'd be up for trying it.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yayagal - although lovely, the rug from Overstock doesn't have close enough coloring to the chair. I need something with a little rust in it.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I like the rug Beverly shopped in because it adds some liveliness and movement. My first thought was that you might also benefit from some more texture contrast in there, and a rug would also be great for adding that. Either way, I think I'd shake things up just slightly (rug, or art especially would be terrific for that). It's looking very pretty and well put together on my screen, but heading for predictable. Like a mailer for a nice furniture store.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the opinions. The search continues....

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I stopped by a local flooring store and picked up a leopard print rug to see what it looked like in the room. The size is wrong (5x7'2) but is available in a 7'10" square.

?

• homersmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Both rugs went back this morning, and while taking a second look at Tuesday AM I found this rug. It has the right coloring and it certainly "shakes things up" a bit. It's a 5x8 and may be a bit on the smaller side, but truth be told I'm over trying to find the perfect rug. DH just came in from the sitting room and commented that he likes it - it's staying. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions throughout this thread. On to the next project...

This post was edited by homersmom on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 13:52

• Olychick
    10 years ago

wow, great find! Looks very nice.

• User
    10 years ago

I love a happy conclusion and I love the rug! Enjoy it ----- enjoy the room-------isn't that what it;
    s really all about?

• amykath
    10 years ago

Perfection! Congrats on your find! It looks great.

• sserra85
    10 years ago

Perfect! The pattern and brightness tie the room together. Enjoy.