Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

o
OT: OK, tell me about your name!

Posted by holly-kay (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 8:32

I am intrigued by the variety and uniqueness of screen names here and on other forums. I am a simple creature so my screen name is just exactly that, my name.

Please tell me how you chose your screen name and why? Some of the names I am intrigued with: A2Gemini, Poohpup, Gooster, Peke, and Bpathome. There are many others but they escape me at the moment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT: OK, tell me about your name!

Because....

o

I am LuAnn.
I live in PA.

o

I'm a kickboxing and strength training coach. My birthday is on the 15th of the month.

o

I'm always surprised when people don't get my name...all one needs to do is say it out loud....
Any Day Now

o

Well, when I first needed a GW name, I just typed in initials and where I was, at home. Looking it over brought to mind "beat a path home", which I also liked, because I love paths and, paradoxically, I love being at home.

I love wordplay, too, so I'm going to enjoy this thread. Case in point: AnnieDeighnaugh! I never say it aloud so I never caught it!

o

trailrunning became a passion for me in 1996. I had been running on roads since 1978 but after I got "close to the dirt" I never looked back. At 63 I now do a lot of bicycle riding too...perhaps I should change my name ! c

o

Mine's certainly not unique or even interesting LOL. But I am not "Tina" in real life. I use my real name on the net. Many years ago I left a response on a message board and something started "following" me. Then I started getting emails (my work email address) from this person. Turns out he was a policeman, or so he said, and wanted to show me how easy it was to track me down. So I have an alter personality. Tina Martin is a girl I knew as a child. I have a facebook account and email account in that name also.

tina

o

ML are initials, and I enjoy weaving. I'll answer to ml and to Marji

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and guess that A2 lives in Ann Arbor and is a twin. at least the A2 part is easy.
BeeKeepersWife, every time I see your name I'm reminded of The Time Travelers Wife. No correlation except the wording. ;)

o

five foot zero...it's my height!

o

Mine is a concept of Le Corbusier, described as a "psychophysiologic response" to particular "4 dimensional" spaces.

o

My initials and the year I joined my first internet board - nothing interesting.

o

I tried for debrak.....GW suggested debrak_2008, and I took it. Never occured to me to make up something creative. debrak2008 and debrak_2008 are one and the same. A computer glitch causes me to log into one laptop as one of the names and my other laptop as the other. Weird and GW was of no help.

o

I love flowers. When I first needed a user name I tried several different flowers, none available. Lazydaisy, not available. Forgetmenot, not available. Lazydaisynot, no problem!

o

From a book my daughter had years ago-The Pesky, Meddling Girls Guide to Life. It was hilarious and really summed up my philosophy, so when we opened up our craft business we called it the Pesky Girls. Many years ago GW switched to a pay-for-service and I had to relog and it wouldn't accept my original sign in name, so I went with Pesky. GW assigned me pesky1.

o

hilltop - because I live on a hilltop.

And Annie, I always thought you were gutsy using your real name on this site. Good play on words!

o

I live in Olympia WA and when I first signed up at GW I used olychic because of a typo...but it seemed conceited to refer to myself as chic, so eventually I rejoined as olychick.

o

Mine’s what my grandkids call me, also the name of the street I live on, and the 2A references the initial of my first grandchild. Pretty simple!

o

Annie, are you saying that is not your real name? When you first posted I assumed you were an interior designer and your posts would help your business.

graywings is for my African Grey parrot (now deceased).

o

Ha ha, mine is the name of the bar my DH worked at in college. It holds a special place in our hearts, since he was working there when we began dating.

o

The first time I registered on GW more than 10 years ago, I was at work at the end of the day. It was one of those days when I was too tired to pick myself up and go home. So, when asked to enter a user name, I asked myself how do you feel? The answer was dead tired. Deadtired was taken so I became Dedtired.

Sometimes I wish I had chosen something more clever and upbeat.

Annie, I never "heard" any day now -- to me it sounds like Annie Dee Naw. Maybe something regional?

o

I was dreaming up good nics for my husband and me so we are yayagal and he's nonoguy. LOL

o

My name expresses how I feel about life and this forum.

o

My favorite color is red.

I am not a red hot lover.

Fun to read the origin of so many names that I wondered about.

o

Mine is pretty obvious, but still.
I quote the dictionary: "dawdling - the deliberate act of delaying and playing instead of working".
Just sums up my life.

o

My original login from spike days was my real name..we were innocent back then :). I had some issues with some over zealous cabinetry sales guys stalking me from the site to real life and I changed my login to my nickname from college..

o

graywings, no that is not my real name by any (annie?) fashion, but I am honored that you thought I was a pro interior designer! My only interior design training was from the old HGTV days when you could learn something from people like Lynette Jennings and Christopher Lowell and even pick up ideas from Matt and Sherri...and being the daughter of a mother who sewed everything and a father who was a complete DIYer. My full time job had nothing to do with interior decor...though I did decorate my office nicely. :)

dedtired, think deigh as in neighbor and naugh as in naught...

o

deedee is my childhood nickname and 99 is part of my business name.

pickyshopper's comment about 99 on pesky1's thread on the conversation side tickled me.

"#99 which sounds like 'long lasting' in Chinese and is therefore considered to be lucky"

o

I am really enjoying this thread. My name is not very interesting, just something I feel strongly about- local eating, local food. I allow 2 bumper stickers on my car, 'no farms, no food' and my 'stomp out Type 1 diabetes' sneaker.
Although my most favorite bumper sticker ever was "XXX is Voldemort", wherein XXX = a certain political candidate's name.

o

Saw it on a T-shirt at a Special Libraries conference back when I worked in an actual bricks-and-books library.

o

Liriodendron - the Latin name for the genus of a tree I greatly admire - the tulip poplar. I just like the way the word Liriodendron rolls off the tongue.

A funny side issue arose because of it. Someone apparently googled it and came up with the false conclusion that I was somehow connected to the luxury estate that formerly was the home of the founder of the John's Hopkins Hospital. This person posted some fairly snarky comments based on my imaginary "well-to-do-ness". It confused me because I actually live in an ancient, mostly-unheated farmhouse in northern, NY. And well-to-do would not describe me, at all.

L

o

Fun post!

I'm Francoise47 because the French singer Francoise Hardy is still the most beautiful woman in the world

(and I joined GW when I was 47).

photo images_zps21b653f6.jpeg
 photo francoise-hardy-4640_zpsd35d3334.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Francoise sings Voila.

o

My name is Lynn and I live in New Mexico. I wasn't sure back then if anyone would associate NM with my state so I wrote the darn thing out. Regrettably, many people refer to me by the entire "LynninNewMexico", which makes me feel very guilty. So much to type and probably difficult to remember, too! I'd really just like to be called plain and simple "Lynn".

o

Mine is from my grandmother...she nicknamed all of us when we were little.

I also thought Annie D was using her real name!

o

My real life nickname was sunnie and I was once mistaken for a nun at at Jimmy Buffett concert, hence the sistersunnie...

o

Mine came from the area I was living in when I joined here, just added an extra " o " to the name.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogopogo

o

My name is Linelle. It's uncommon enough that it's usually available as a username. Elsewhere on the internet you might find me as linelle707 (my area code).

I also never said Annie's name aloud to myself and was positive it was her full name. :)

o

Thank you all for responding. I love the names and Annie you just crack me up. I never saw your name as any day now! If you ever start a design business you already have a name!

Bpathome, I always thought of you as the path home until one day a light bulb came on and I thought, oh that must be b.p. at home.

I love reading how you all came up with your name.

o

"mistaken for nun at a Jimmy Buffet concert" made my day!

I, too, thought AnnieD was using her real name.

And in my mind lynninnewmexico has always been "Lynnie."

o

At the time I chose my name I was desperate for peace of mind. I thought that came from having all the circumstances in your life lined up just right. Now I know that peace is an attitude in spite of circumstances. The name I would choose now is peacefulmind.

o

I used to be an active birder. This is the user name I chose long ago on MSN Groups, when they existed. I separated the word into a first and last name, because Gyr is so much quicker and easier to type. My interests have shifted some, and now I spend more time geocaching. GyrFalcon was unavailable there, so I use yet another nic on that site.

I have never seen a gyrfalcon in the wild, BTW. Maybe one day...

Gyr

o

I've gone by Miz M (last initial) for over 10 yrs on the HGTV boards, and decided to use it here so others who post at both would know me. I rarely post there now because it just doesn't get along with my iPad, which is all I use these days. I really enjoy both boards. :)

I've never been good at thinking up clever handles! Before HGTV, I posted at the old BHG boards, and went by BlondeMom. When HGTV went to registration only (anyone remember those crazy Anonymous days?!) I couldn't get that name.

This post was edited by Miz_M on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 13:33

o

My name is from my boys' nicknames, Pork Chop and Hambone.

o

what, you don't think Violet West is my real name? (shifty eyes)

o

Hoghead = Olden day terminology for locomotive engineers that was a bit derogatory but I guess in a good way...Still used alot on the job.

Hogette = Girl locomotive engineer, tongue in cheek. Yup okay by me.

o

cat_mom because I am "mommy" to my cats!

>^.^< ='.'=

o

This is so interesting! The house we currently have is painted a really pretty, cheerful, and homey red and we began calling it The Red House before we bought it. Everyone we know refers to it that way too, with no prompting from us. Since this is a decorating board and all the decorating I do is for The Red House, I went with that. I also have red hair, so when GW folks shorten my name to Red, they're using one of my husband's nicknames for me - and that's really fun.

o

mtnrdredux =

Mtn Rd Redux=

Mountain Road Redux

I joined over 3 years back, when we bought our current house, on Mountain Road.

Because we renovated most of it and expanded it, it was "redux" (brought back), although I guess that's a little unfair to the PO as it was by no means a "fixer upper", we just changed it a whole lot for our family!

In addition, our prior house, in another state and town, was on "Mountain Avenue". So here we are on Mtn again...

PS I had lunch with Annie and I know her name but I cannot get it to stick in my head! I hope i don't accidentally call her that.

o

I so enjoyed reading this thread! Count me among the deer in headlights with respect to Annie's board name. I am Marina b/c I originally posted about plans for a kitchen renovation at our house on Cape Cod (which will finally begin next month - after only 3 years of planning....). I love boat marinas - could sit and watch boat traffic for hours and hours. I find it super relaxing.

o

way back in 2004 i think i was alittle overwhelmed with not having enough hrs in each day, but decided to be alittle lighthearted with my name...

i usually assume that names used here are not real, but also read deighnaugh phonetically as 'day-naw' so never thought of 'any day now' either! assumed it was a fictional name- from a favorite book perhaps!

o

The name I originally used was Byronrd but a couple of years ago a bunch of names were wiped out here. My name could not be reactivated and the only name that would be accepted was part of my e-mail which actually doesn't mean much by itself.

Every once in a while I think of changing it and maybe I will one day.

o

Add me to the list of people who thought Annie's name was her real name.

And mtn, my eyes are always misreading your name as mtn-deux so I have a little joke with myself that it's pronounced Mountain Dew. Yes, I am strange.

My real name is Sue. Maiden name begins with B. (When I was a kid, my dad called me Sue-Bee.) 20 is my birthdate.

o

Oh graywings -- a parrot! For years I've vaguely pictured you as a mature woman of regal aspect, with a distinguished streak of silver gray at each temple. And pearls.

This post was edited by probookie on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 15:04

o

Hello Kitty weighs as much as three apples and is the ambassador of love.

o

because I am nuts about plants. Ok, nuts in general and about plants in particular. Before I found gardenweb decorating forum, I only visited the gardening forums on gardenweb, so I picked that name.

o

I also thought "Annie" was Annie!!

Mine is my "alter ego". My middle name plus the first initial of my previous last name. Since I find that name usually taken, I added the 54 for the year I was born.

Fun thread!

o

Three,

Well you learn something new everyday! I was sure you had three children.

However I have now learned the fascinating (truly) history of Hello Kitty, who i never noticed before has no mouth, who arguably is a copy of a traditional japanese waving cat, and who had a murder case named after her.

Here is a link that might be useful: hello kitty, who knew?

o

Nothing very creative here. 7 years ago when I joined this forum I had just retired. Still retired but no longer "just;)"

Great post. Fun reading about everyone's names.

o

Once I became a greatgrandmother, I knew I would never be known as a Red Hot Mama - not that I ever was. So I tempered it a bit. Would like to change it now.

Pink

o

I'm in the "same boat" as a lot of people on here, redecorating, asking for recipes, looking for advice for parents of teens, etc. so sameboat worked for me.

o

I think that if i knew I was going to be to addicted to GW, I might have come up with a more interesting name.
Ellendi, is my first name and the first two letters of my last name.
Annie, lol. On GW I still think of you as Annie, when I switch to our IRL meeting, I think of you as your IRL name.
Waving to Trail and Cat_mom!

o

When I found this site I was doing research for my HHI renovation. Had I known I would stick around long after that project was completed, I might have picked something better.

o

Oh graywings -- a parrot! For years I've vaguely pictured you as a mature woman of regal aspect, with a distinguished streak of silver gray at each temple. And pearls.

Well, one out of four. I am, ahem, mature. The gray at the temples is L'Orealed out each month. Never has the word regal been associated with me. I had pearls at one time but I must have misplaced them.

o

I was planning a new kitchen, so I went with kitch4me. Not very creative!
I wasn't aware of the other GW forums. When my kitchen got put on hold, I discovered the home decorating forum.
I'm hooked!

o

Many moons ago, back when it was Spike and it was free I was Kathy-PA. When I tried to logon with the new owners, my name and password didn't work.

kat = first 3 letters of my first name
lan = first 3 letters of my last name

Now is that crazy exciting or what? haha

o

I joined GW back just before ( or after) Spike departed. my name was for my two granddaughters, which later felt too personal. I rejoined after getting an iPad*** and new email account, signing up as my name and state: marti in ca.
What I would love would be to hear from others who have changed their names. Perhaps old friends are still here, but unrecognozed.

**** and post far less, as I hate typing on here. Can you say runonsentences?!
Marti

o

I play a lot of online games. The very first character I ever created I wanted to name Shadow, but that was taken so she became Chadoe.

The name grew on me and I've used it for various games and forums ever since. Also, since I usually just lurk on message boards (being a shadow), Chadoe seemed appropriate. Since the board also recommended a number I went to my fallback 3 - for me and my 2 kids.

o

Count me among the many who thought that was Annie's
real name! Irish2 is my RI License plate .

o

I joined GW in 2002 with Spike when it was free, then paid, then free. It was my first venture into internet forums and I just thought that everybody used a cutsie name. So I chose Woody because we have an old wooden boat but every variation I chose was taken and eventually I lost the "y" and went to "ie" and they made me Woodie2 cause I suppose there was already a 1. I wish I had just used my own name with a number after it - then I would be Annie (#).

o

I'm an artist.....and also a huge BeeGees Fan. Barry Gibb's little known but wonderful song "Technicolor Dreams" is where my name came from. Not for everyone, but I can dance to it alone. Enjoy!

I never thought in terms of growing old
Nothing is ever as it seems
But I'll give you Panavision pictures
'Cause you give me Technicolor dreams

Up there, walking on air
I'd like to show you how
I loved you way back then
As much as I need you now

Some people like to send the world away
Some sunlight on some silver beams
And I'll give you Panavision pictures
'Cos you give me Technicolor dreams

Oh wow, look at us now
All of our dreams fulfill
I would implore you still
From under your windowsill

Go far, follow your star
I'll help you climb that hill
I would adore you still
From under your windowsill

So I'll give you Panavision pictures
'Cause you give me Technicolor dreams

Here is a link that might be useful: BeeGees Barry Gibbs

o

I love purple and flowers, especially lavender and lilacs. Lavender lass just seemed like a good name...I only found out later, Lavender Lassie was the name of a rose :)

o

I think I was newly in love when I created this moniker. Everyone calls my husband Bergie except for family, he even asked me to call him Bergie when we met. I said no, because it just sounds like a name you get from your frat brothers. I guess I still paid a little homage to it. Even though, I'm a wife and a Mom now I still love being BergiesGirl, and we call my son BergieBaby.

o

My first name is Tina and there always seems to be a lot of people with that name on forums so I went with my horses name

o

I never thought I'd post so I put no effort or thought into the moniker. It is easy to discern. We have two giant schnauzers. I adore the clowns. They keep us entertained.

o

Because I had rather be....

o

Ah, BergiesGirl, BergieBaby is SO cute!!!!!!!!!!

o

Just parts of my first and last names combined. Easier to remember but nothing special here. Wish I were more creative when I signed up. :-)

o

bread+nutella+sprinkles= sparklebread (dd favorite snack)

o

Beacuse my name is spelled withoutanh!

Sara

o

Julie is my first name, and I can't imagine anyone calling me anything but.

Boulangerie because I love baking breads, spent considerable time in France during college and ate more than my fair share of breads and treats from boulangeries. It's also a tribute to my slowly disappearing French skills.

o

Mother to three sons-the sunshines of my life!

o

My daughter auditioned at the age of 4 for a part in Nutcracker - she got it. I told her she was my dancing princess and she said I was the dancing queen. I also happen to love Abba!

o

It's my father's nickname for me.

o

I love this thread.
My Dad owned a large piece of land and divided it up among my siblings and created our family compound. He had to come with our road name. He looked around and saw a lot of pines and a lot of rocks. I live on Rock Pine Rd!
Irish2-ha, we Rhode Islanders love our license plates!

o

I am a gal and I live in the Wisconsin, the Badger State, so I am badgergal.

o

The name of DD's teddy bear who happened to be sitting next to me the day I signed up. The all caps have started to irritate me.

o

I was born and raised in the Chicago area, am longing to live "out in the country" someday.

o

Mine is in honor of our first beautiful Boxer,,, Jenna. She was a brindle, we rescued her during Desert Storm. In 2003 we got two Boxer puppies, sisters...Bella (a fawn color) and Sasha ( a reverse Brindle). We lost our sweet Bella last December. Now our Sasha is nearly 10. I want to change my GW name to JennaBellaSasha, or maybe 3BoxerMama!
Oh...the VA is for Virginia where we used to live, now in SC.

pets bring such joy to our lives!!!

This post was edited by JennaVA on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 22:58

o

Not a hard one to figure out...

o

Being a grandma for the first time, I just had to be Natesgram. I've since been blessed with two more.

o

Mine was our CB 'handle'. We had a blue car in those days and we were the Bluebird mobile. Unfortunately I wasn't able to spell it with the 'e' when I joined Prodigy way back when, so I've been 'blubird' ever since.

o

My dream has always been to build my own home. I have problems making a decision. When I found GW I had just brought a lot and surfed the Homebuilding forum, I thought I was FINALLY HOME. Well, fast forward numerous years, and the purchase of several lots and home plans from the internet, haven't broke ground yet, but I doubt if there is a builder in town that will talk to me.

Moved to the city and couldn't find a lot in the city that I could afford, gave up and brought a fixer-upper and moved in. Finally home? I doubt it. It is now a hobby. You guys are the only one I can talk to about homebuilding. Family now leaves the room.

o

I am the one mommy of igglochick ( who has that name because she lived, and still has a home in ALaska) and to her I am number 1 mommy

o

Graywings, I think of you exactly like Probookie does.

And Annie, I thought your moniker was from a book, like Daisy Buchanan or something. I hadn't read the book yet, but it was a well-known book that I somehow missed in my quest for cultural literacy.

My name is my name. I never disliked it like so many other teens, even though it was unusual in the old days. I share a birthday with Jamie Lee Curtis, but I was first by a few years.

o

Mine is not very original either. Covington is where I live and cat is the first three letters of my name. Snooze ....

o

10 years ago I became sixtyohno. That's pretty clear. Now I should change it to seventyohno or 70,OYvey, but I am too lazy.

o

Mom nicknamed me Patty, but would call me patty cakes. Probably because of the nursery rhyme patty cake patty cake, bakers man. I could have chosen something else, but that just popped into my head that day.

o

Because of my "baby"

o

Great post.

My name describes the age and look of my house, not myself. ;)

o

dedtired that's just the way I read AnnieDeighNaugh I didn't even pay attention, until now, of the "gh" after the "ei" or I would have gotten that part. "augh" is pronounced naw as in caught or daughter though I may have gotten that had I paid attention to the first "gh".

I originally joined GW as DesigningMom, but when I changed emails I lost the ability to sign on with that name so I had to come up with something else and this time didn't use my email as my sign in. And I do know that it would sound like goat instead of got since there's only one "t", but I goofed and then it was too late. The reason I picked it was because I don't like following trends. I do what I do because I like it, not because it's in style or someone else did it. Though sometimes others have done it before me and I just happen to like something that is trendy.

o

So interesting! Funny how you think you are reading something one way and find out all this time you were wrong! I thought Annie was Annie too! haha! That is a good one!

Love the pooch pics!

Mine is A for Amy and then K for my middle name and then my last name Tillery. I know everyone reads it as artillery. I guess some ppl might think I just love guns and ammunition. Which would be funny as I do not at all.

o

Ice because I live in Iceland.

o

Double post.

This post was edited by ice1 on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 7:23

o

Waiting for oldbat2be and deedles :)

o

My previous dog's name was Sally, and I live in Missouri.

o

This s so much fun reading how you all came up with your names!

BP, I am waiting for OB2B and Deedles too. They were two of the names I was thinking of but they slipped my mind. I am also waiting for poohpup. I am thinking she may have a pupster named pooh or..............................

o

I don't think we've heard from Boopadaboo yet, either?

o

Hafta say I just love Pink_Warm_Mama.
I hadn't envisioned it as a somewhat tempered red hot, but more like an infant's vision. I like your perspective of you, PWM. More than tepid, less than boiling over - perfect.

I'm going to borrow that vision -- less hot need not mean too cool, you know?

o

I read sixtyohno as sixt yohno. I thought it was some sort of exotic, foreign name, sorta Yoko Ono-ish.

My name is a very pedestrian initials and state. On another forum, I had a "friend" who always referred to me as "sox." She thought it looked like "bobby sox."

o

I'm not sure why, but its helpful to understand what the names mean and how to read them. Otherwise it's like when you are reading a book with a lot of foreign names, and every time you come across one you waste time deciding how to pronounce it in your head.

o

Mine is part of my name (Mel), and I live in the south.
It's boring enough that I'll go ahead and apologize for my lack of creativity.

I'd like to change it.
Is that allowed?
How is that done?

Happy Halloween!

o

I was too naive to realize you could search by name by the time I understood I had too many posts to worry about it. I keep thinking I want to change it but....................the damage is already done.

o

themommy1 - I'm glad you posted. I've often thought about igloochick and wondered how she was doing. Let her know that we'd love to hear what she's been up to.

Add me to the list of clueless posters who didn't recognize Annie's clever moniker. Now that she's explained it - it just seems so obvious.

When I joined GW back in 2007 I had a different name and used it for 3 or 4 years - but one day I simply could not log on. After a week of trying I simply rejoined with a new name. My Mother had just passed away and my Father moved in with us. My name is what my Father called me, with his Irish Gaelic spelling.

o

I love geology and I chose kid because I didn't want to be identified as a female. Strange, I know, and I wish I could change it. I'm geogal on other forums, but someone else has geogal on still different forums. It's confusing!

o

years ago when I first signed on, I was painting/sketching as a stress reliever. I did a couple of pieces depicting rabbits with semitransparent skin .. i.e. you could see hints of the skeleton and musculature. Creepyart was a bit off putting.. so funkyart it was. :)

Really, they weren't as creepy as they sound-- but it was something I wanted to explore rather than display in my home. A friend fell in love with them and has them hanging in his place.

o

> I'm Francoise47 because the French singer Francoise Hardy is still the most beautiful woman in the world

> (and I joined GW when I was 47).

x2.

(though this week's events reminded me if Nico were still living, Francoise would have some serious competition....)

o

It's a shorter version of a handle I used to used for years on other sites, geekysciencechick, since I am pretty nerdy about science and data. It just popped in my head one day. I think it was too long for some sites, so I just shortened it to g. I've had it for so long, many people think my name starts with a G.

At 50, I question whether I am still a "chick" or not!

o

I have used my real name and address on the internet since I got my first modem in 1994. When we were redoing our kitchen (DIY) , I found the kitchen forum. When registering, I was afraid I wouldn't remember a fake name, then I remembered my childhood nick name.

I was raised in a gold mining town ship, whose sign boasted a population of 125. They must have counted the dogs, cats and flies. There were 18 children in my one room school house where I attended Grammar School.

Google Washington, California. It is where I was raised. Gold Dust is the only other name I thought I would remember.

o
More random thoughts.

I could have been BeeKeepersDaughter or GreyWings. I was raised with bee hives and have Mojo, an African Grey Parrot. Grey, I'm sorry you lost yours. We are planning for Mojo in our trust. They live a long time!

I thought Annie was Annie. I did not catch the 'Any day now' by the spelling either.

o

I love Bruce!

o

Meet the real Boopadaboo.......

photo kitties013106004.jpg

This is my first and oldest cat. I make up crazy names for my pets. the kids have crazy nicknames too. :)

I really to call him by that name when I am looking for him. He usually comes believe it or not.

I started using it a long time ago on line and it is never taken so I keep using it.

o

All my grands call me mama T.... Except for one,who, in a mood for charming me into something, added the "sweet"... It worked & stuck:)

o

Mine's pretty simple- I'm Nancy and my last name begins with a B

Annie, I thought your name sounded Scottish and I pictured you as a Scottish lass!

sixtyohno, I pictured you as Japanese before I figured it out.

hhireno, I've mentioned this before, but I always thought it was "Hi, Reno" until you explained it-

o

Great thread. Another one who didn't catch the "Annie" name.

I like Ford Mustangs. I used to have a pretty quick one that I joked saying "It'll trot" when asked if it was fast. Eventually even had it as a personal plate on my car.

o

This thread has been so interesting!!
My name was chosen for a variety of connections...but mainly because I love hydrangeas and especially Paniculata Grandiflora = P.G. Hydrangea aka Pee Gee.
--Penny G.

o

Our first cat as a couple was Abby. She moved with us from WI to GA, lived with us in our rental and then our first home purchase; adopted herself a playmate (who is still with us, the much-loved Jasper) and passed away a few months after our DD9 was born.
Abby0516seat2
I found GW a couple of years later when we bought our great moneypit and began researching kitchens. We still miss Abby, and often use her name as a login. I added 9990 - I think GW prompted it.

o

Here are my buddies Cooper and Bailey. Bailey on the left and Cooper on the right. They are now 9 and 8 respectively.

o

Well, my cat who died at 18 years last year was named Sochi, but she was named after the city in Russia, so I guess the city is the real inspiration for my name. Sochi and I go way back.

o

Peg P Benn...
my maiden name is kinda on the famous side and wasn't allowed. Just used my email and I may have to change too as it's been a bit problematic

o

fouramblues: four a.m. blues. When each of my three oldest kids was in half day school (jr K and K) I adjusted my work hours so that they didn't have to do daycare. So I was up at 4:00 a.m. each work day, and definitely felt blue for lack of sleep. IRL I'm Amanda. So much fun to get a little of the back story for all of you!

o

Wait...Annie -isn't- Annie?! Mind. Blown.

I have, at last count, 14 different sign-ons for my job. I am running out of memory for these things. So I sign in everywhere I can with either my email, Facebook, or this username, my last name plus initials.

I'm surprised to see several users here, that I know of, with the same first name. It's a more old fashion name, I'm named after my great great grandmother that I never met. The M is for Marie, probably one of the most common female middle names there is.

I decided years ago I was not interested in getting involved in shenanigans on the Internet, so I don't have any problems not posting things I wouldn't say in person. I try not to get into arguments with the crazies, and assume everything might get back to me. I also only post the state and region I'm from in most cases. I very rarely post the specific place I live. I also almost never post my profession, and never ever my employer or names of anyone in my family.

I also try to pick user names (like before I had the foresight to use this one) that do not reveal my gender. Not just for safety, but I find people react differently when females post in some places, or have any authority such as an admin/mod role. There are many people on the board I moderate that do not know I'm a female, and given the way I've seen them behave, I'm glad.

o

Mpwdmom: 1) I've always loved maple (wood). 2) Maplewood is the name of our neighborhood and school.

I started using Mpwdmom a long time ago when my kids were younger. They'e all grown now and I even have two grandgirls (8 & 10). :)

Susan ~

o

mpwdmom, I thought it stood for "My PassWorD, MOM" LOL! I like Maplewood, though, my friend's father was principal at our Maplewood school. Always thought it was such a pretty word.

o

Translation= Pure Fool. That's me!

o

I thought Annie's name was her real name, too...

I was LoriB on GI and other décor boards~ so, Loribee I became here. My dear friend's father always called me that~ :)

o

JAB is what my friends called me in college, and yes, it was way back in 1965.

o

Faron79= Actual 1st name, & my HS-Graduation year.

Secret-stuff there...;-)

Faron

o

Fun thread and lots of interesting names.

My name is pretty simple. I first joined 7 years ago, this past August, when we were building a new home and I needed advice. ;)

I'd love to change my name to something else now that we are in an "old" home. :-) This year will be a tie to the longest amount of time that DH and I have lived in any one home. Our children grew up in another that we were in for 7 years. They are now young adults and from birth until they graduated college, all three lived in several homes.

I recently asked the oldest (who lived in 7 homes before leaving the nest) if she was scarred by moving so much. She replied that she thought it was lots of fun!

Another few years, and I will probably be another New Home Builder.

o

Phoggie is the name of my son's dog....who got his name for the great Phog Allen...long-time basketball coach for our Kansas University!

o

for my now deceased best dog 'Taz' who I referred to as tazzy or razmatazzy

o

Mine is not original at all, but easy for me to remember! I live in Arkansas and I'm a wife!

o

Williamsem, I thought your name was Emily or Emma and married to William therefore William's Em.

I love the pictures of Cooper, Bailey, Abby, gorgeous Boop, sweet Doodle, and what a darling Corgi. Bergie's baby is a doll, and already won my heart on BG's post where he was smiling.

Boop, I had to laugh when you said you gave your children crazy nicknames. I call my youngest DD Courtsawocky so I can relate.

I was hoping Pal would chime in as I have always been intrigued by his screen name.

o

When I started lurking THS 20 years ago, I wanted to be Bug because my initials are V.W. But there was already a Bug, so after a post where Bug said she was 5'10" tall, and I am only 5'2" tall, I logged on as littlebug.

Later, after pay and then no-pay, I had to re-log in so I added my lucky number to the end -- littlebug5.

o

Another pet screen name. This was Mojo, DD's white husky, with his brother, Duke. We lost Mojo in July 2012 at age 14. He was a dear boy.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Another username coined to reflect how life felt, and often still feels, in my world. Especially in decorating! For many years when the kids were younger, money was tight and life was so crazy busy I felt like all I was managing to do was run in place. Thus the name :). I also didn't want anything that was traceable to my real name, location etc.

As for others, Annie explained her username awhile ago so that one I got. For some reason I totally missed the 'rd' in mtn's userid so in my mind it's always been mountain-redux. Really enjoying hearing how everyone got their monikers.

o

I googled Pal's name fairly early on, as I had a vague sense I had seen it used as a noun. Since then I have come across it once or twice as a noun IRL. But not often!

It's a very cool word.

o

I love roses and I started on the rose forum years ago before I even new there was a decorating forum.

o

Love the history of the names, so enlightening, cute, and creative...well this is a decorating forum so we know there is a lot of creativity.

Faced with having to come up with a user name during first GW Sign up and not knowing I would be posting over a decade later, I quickly entered our girl's softball team.

History: DH and I started the Mustangs in 1981 and currently have 12 teams, won over 24 national championships and a World Cup (beat China), over 400 college scholarships. So "Mustangs" are a big part of our life.

o

I close my eyes and imagine I'm sitting in a comfy chair at the edge of a very lazy river just watching the world go by...

o

withoutanh, my daughter's name is Sarah. There is probably nothing that irritates her more than having the H left off, so I imagine you probably feel the same when it's added.

o

I always wondered about Pal's screen name, too. Finally had to look it up when it appeared as the answer in a crossword puzzle. It's a cryptic puzzle (I love wordplay), so here is the clue:

"Most ghastly, claiming brats reused parchment"

Now, our Pal is certainly neither ghastly nor a brat, so here is how the puzzle works:
- A synonym for "most ghastly" might be "palest"
- A synonym for "brats" might be "imps"
- "claiming" implies taking possession of something, so "palest" takes "imps" into itself, between the l and the e.
"pal imps est"
- And you end up with a word meaning "reused parchment"

Now, WHY our "Palimpsest"? Inquiring minds want to know!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here