Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

OT: OK, tell me about your name!

Holly- Kay
10 years ago

I am intrigued by the variety and uniqueness of screen names here and on other forums. I am a simple creature so my screen name is just exactly that, my name.

Please tell me how you chose your screen name and why? Some of the names I am intrigued with: A2Gemini, Poohpup, Gooster, Peke, and Bpathome. There are many others but they escape me at the moment.

Comments (149)

• ice1
    10 years ago

Ice because I live in Iceland.

• ice1
    10 years ago

Double post.

This post was edited by ice1 on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 7:23

• bpath
    10 years ago

Waiting for oldbat2be and deedles :)

• sallymo2015
    10 years ago

My previous dog's name was Sally, and I live in Missouri.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This s so much fun reading how you all came up with your names!

BP, I am waiting for OB2B and Deedles too. They were two of the names I was thinking of but they slipped my mind. I am also waiting for poohpup. I am thinking she may have a pupster named pooh or..............................

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I don't think we've heard from Boopadaboo yet, either?

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Hafta say I just love Pink_Warm_Mama.
    I hadn't envisioned it as a somewhat tempered red hot, but more like an infant's vision. I like your perspective of you, PWM. More than tepid, less than boiling over - perfect.

I'm going to borrow that vision -- less hot need not mean too cool, you know?

• bbstx
    10 years ago

I read sixtyohno as sixt yohno. I thought it was some sort of exotic, foreign name, sorta Yoko Ono-ish.

My name is a very pedestrian initials and state. On another forum, I had a "friend" who always referred to me as "sox." She thought it looked like "bobby sox."

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I'm not sure why, but its helpful to understand what the names mean and how to read them. Otherwise it's like when you are reading a book with a lot of foreign names, and every time you come across one you waste time deciding how to pronounce it in your head.

• melsouth
    10 years ago

Mine is part of my name (Mel), and I live in the south.
    It's boring enough that I'll go ahead and apologize for my lack of creativity.

I'd like to change it.
    Is that allowed?
    How is that done?

Happy Halloween!

• User
    10 years ago

I was too naive to realize you could search by name by the time I understood I had too many posts to worry about it. I keep thinking I want to change it but....................the damage is already done.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

themommy1 - I'm glad you posted. I've often thought about igloochick and wondered how she was doing. Let her know that we'd love to hear what she's been up to.

Add me to the list of clueless posters who didn't recognize Annie's clever moniker. Now that she's explained it - it just seems so obvious.

When I joined GW back in 2007 I had a different name and used it for 3 or 4 years - but one day I simply could not log on. After a week of trying I simply rejoined with a new name. My Mother had just passed away and my Father moved in with us. My name is what my Father called me, with his Irish Gaelic spelling.

• geokid
    10 years ago

I love geology and I chose kid because I didn't want to be identified as a female. Strange, I know, and I wish I could change it. I'm geogal on other forums, but someone else has geogal on still different forums. It's confusing!

• funkyart
    10 years ago

years ago when I first signed on, I was painting/sketching as a stress reliever. I did a couple of pieces depicting rabbits with semitransparent skin .. i.e. you could see hints of the skeleton and musculature. Creepyart was a bit off putting.. so funkyart it was. :)

Really, they weren't as creepy as they sound-- but it was something I wanted to explore rather than display in my home. A friend fell in love with them and has them hanging in his place.

• lee676
    10 years ago

> I'm Francoise47 because the French singer Francoise Hardy is still the most beautiful woman in the world

> (and I joined GW when I was 47).

x2.

(though this week's events reminded me if Nico were still living, Francoise would have some serious competition....)

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

It's a shorter version of a handle I used to used for years on other sites, geekysciencechick, since I am pretty nerdy about science and data. It just popped in my head one day. I think it was too long for some sites, so I just shortened it to g. I've had it for so long, many people think my name starts with a G.

At 50, I question whether I am still a "chick" or not!

• golddust
    10 years ago

I have used my real name and address on the internet since I got my first modem in 1994. When we were redoing our kitchen (DIY) , I found the kitchen forum. When registering, I was afraid I wouldn't remember a fake name, then I remembered my childhood nick name.

I was raised in a gold mining town ship, whose sign boasted a population of 125. They must have counted the dogs, cats and flies. There were 18 children in my one room school house where I attended Grammar School.

Google Washington, California. It is where I was raised. Gold Dust is the only other name I thought I would remember.

• golddust
    10 years ago

I could have been BeeKeepersDaughter or GreyWings. I was raised with bee hives and have Mojo, an African Grey Parrot. Grey, I'm sorry you lost yours. We are planning for Mojo in our trust. They live a long time!

I thought Annie was Annie. I did not catch the 'Any day now' by the spelling either.

• lorichats
    10 years ago

I love Bruce!

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Meet the real Boopadaboo.......

This is my first and oldest cat. I make up crazy names for my pets. the kids have crazy nicknames too. :)

I really to call him by that name when I am looking for him. He usually comes believe it or not.

I started using it a long time ago on line and it is never taken so I keep using it.

• mama-sweetT
    10 years ago

All my grands call me mama T.... Except for one,who, in a mood for charming me into something, added the "sweet"... It worked & stuck:)

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Mine's pretty simple- I'm Nancy and my last name begins with a B

Annie, I thought your name sounded Scottish and I pictured you as a Scottish lass!

sixtyohno, I pictured you as Japanese before I figured it out.

hhireno, I've mentioned this before, but I always thought it was "Hi, Reno" until you explained it-

• itltrot
    10 years ago

Great thread. Another one who didn't catch the "Annie" name.

I like Ford Mustangs. I used to have a pretty quick one that I joked saying "It'll trot" when asked if it was fast. Eventually even had it as a personal plate on my car.

• peegee
    10 years ago

This thread has been so interesting!!
    My name was chosen for a variety of connections...but mainly because I love hydrangeas and especially Paniculata Grandiflora = P.G. Hydrangea aka Pee Gee.
    --Penny G.

• abbycat9990
    10 years ago

Our first cat as a couple was Abby. She moved with us from WI to GA, lived with us in our rental and then our first home purchase; adopted herself a playmate (who is still with us, the much-loved Jasper) and passed away a few months after our DD9 was born.

I found GW a couple of years later when we bought our great moneypit and began researching kitchens. We still miss Abby, and often use her name as a login. I added 9990 - I think GW prompted it.

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

Here are my buddies Cooper and Bailey. Bailey on the left and Cooper on the right. They are now 9 and 8 respectively.

• sochi
    10 years ago

Well, my cat who died at 18 years last year was named Sochi, but she was named after the city in Russia, so I guess the city is the real inspiration for my name. Sochi and I go way back.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Peg P Benn...
    my maiden name is kinda on the famous side and wasn't allowed. Just used my email and I may have to change too as it's been a bit problematic

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

fouramblues: four a.m. blues. When each of my three oldest kids was in half day school (jr K and K) I adjusted my work hours so that they didn't have to do daycare. So I was up at 4:00 a.m. each work day, and definitely felt blue for lack of sleep. IRL I'm Amanda. So much fun to get a little of the back story for all of you!

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Wait...Annie -isn't- Annie?! Mind. Blown.

I have, at last count, 14 different sign-ons for my job. I am running out of memory for these things. So I sign in everywhere I can with either my email, Facebook, or this username, my last name plus initials.

I'm surprised to see several users here, that I know of, with the same first name. It's a more old fashion name, I'm named after my great great grandmother that I never met. The M is for Marie, probably one of the most common female middle names there is.

I decided years ago I was not interested in getting involved in shenanigans on the Internet, so I don't have any problems not posting things I wouldn't say in person. I try not to get into arguments with the crazies, and assume everything might get back to me. I also only post the state and region I'm from in most cases. I very rarely post the specific place I live. I also almost never post my profession, and never ever my employer or names of anyone in my family.

I also try to pick user names (like before I had the foresight to use this one) that do not reveal my gender. Not just for safety, but I find people react differently when females post in some places, or have any authority such as an admin/mod role. There are many people on the board I moderate that do not know I'm a female, and given the way I've seen them behave, I'm glad.

• mpwdmom
    10 years ago

Mpwdmom: 1) I've always loved maple (wood). 2) Maplewood is the name of our neighborhood and school.

I started using Mpwdmom a long time ago when my kids were younger. They'e all grown now and I even have two grandgirls (8 & 10). :)

Susan ~

• bpath
    10 years ago

mpwdmom, I thought it stood for "My PassWorD, MOM" LOL! I like Maplewood, though, my friend's father was principal at our Maplewood school. Always thought it was such a pretty word.

• FalParsi
    10 years ago

Translation= Pure Fool. That's me!

• loribee
    10 years ago

I thought Annie's name was her real name, too...

I was LoriB on GI and other décor boards~ so, Loribee I became here. My dear friend's father always called me that~ :)

• jab65
    10 years ago

JAB is what my friends called me in college, and yes, it was way back in 1965.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Faron79= Actual 1st name, & my HS-Graduation year.

Secret-stuff there...;-)

Faron

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Fun thread and lots of interesting names.

My name is pretty simple. I first joined 7 years ago, this past August, when we were building a new home and I needed advice. ;)

I'd love to change my name to something else now that we are in an "old" home. :-) This year will be a tie to the longest amount of time that DH and I have lived in any one home. Our children grew up in another that we were in for 7 years. They are now young adults and from birth until they graduated college, all three lived in several homes.

I recently asked the oldest (who lived in 7 homes before leaving the nest) if she was scarred by moving so much. She replied that she thought it was lots of fun!

Another few years, and I will probably be another New Home Builder.

• phoggie
    10 years ago

Phoggie is the name of my son's dog....who got his name for the great Phog Allen...long-time basketball coach for our Kansas University!

• razamatazzy
    10 years ago

for my now deceased best dog 'Taz' who I referred to as tazzy or razmatazzy

• arkansaswifey
    10 years ago

Mine is not original at all, but easy for me to remember! I live in Arkansas and I'm a wife!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Williamsem, I thought your name was Emily or Emma and married to William therefore William's Em.

I love the pictures of Cooper, Bailey, Abby, gorgeous Boop, sweet Doodle, and what a darling Corgi. Bergie's baby is a doll, and already won my heart on BG's post where he was smiling.

Boop, I had to laugh when you said you gave your children crazy nicknames. I call my youngest DD Courtsawocky so I can relate.

I was hoping Pal would chime in as I have always been intrigued by his screen name.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

When I started lurking THS 20 years ago, I wanted to be Bug because my initials are V.W. But there was already a Bug, so after a post where Bug said she was 5'10" tall, and I am only 5'2" tall, I logged on as littlebug.

Later, after pay and then no-pay, I had to re-log in so I added my lucky number to the end -- littlebug5.

• mojomom
    10 years ago

Another pet screen name. This was Mojo, DD's white husky, with his brother, Duke. We lost Mojo in July 2012 at age 14. He was a dear boy.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Another username coined to reflect how life felt, and often still feels, in my world. Especially in decorating! For many years when the kids were younger, money was tight and life was so crazy busy I felt like all I was managing to do was run in place. Thus the name :). I also didn't want anything that was traceable to my real name, location etc.

As for others, Annie explained her username awhile ago so that one I got. For some reason I totally missed the 'rd' in mtn's userid so in my mind it's always been mountain-redux. Really enjoying hearing how everyone got their monikers.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I googled Pal's name fairly early on, as I had a vague sense I had seen it used as a noun. Since then I have come across it once or twice as a noun IRL. But not often!

It's a very cool word.

• msrose
    10 years ago

I love roses and I started on the rose forum years ago before I even new there was a decorating forum.

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Love the history of the names, so enlightening, cute, and creative...well this is a decorating forum so we know there is a lot of creativity.

Faced with having to come up with a user name during first GW Sign up and not knowing I would be posting over a decade later, I quickly entered our girl's softball team.

History: DH and I started the Mustangs in 1981 and currently have 12 teams, won over 24 national championships and a World Cup (beat China), over 400 college scholarships. So "Mustangs" are a big part of our life.

• upa_lazy_river
    10 years ago

I close my eyes and imagine I'm sitting in a comfy chair at the edge of a very lazy river just watching the world go by...

• Bunny
    10 years ago

withoutanh, my daughter's name is Sarah. There is probably nothing that irritates her more than having the H left off, so I imagine you probably feel the same when it's added.

• bpath
    10 years ago

I always wondered about Pal's screen name, too. Finally had to look it up when it appeared as the answer in a crossword puzzle. It's a cryptic puzzle (I love wordplay), so here is the clue:

"Most ghastly, claiming brats reused parchment"

Now, our Pal is certainly neither ghastly nor a brat, so here is how the puzzle works:
    - A synonym for "most ghastly" might be "palest"
    - A synonym for "brats" might be "imps"
    - "claiming" implies taking possession of something, so "palest" takes "imps" into itself, between the l and the e.
    "pal imps est"
    - And you end up with a word meaning "reused parchment"

Now, WHY our "Palimpsest"? Inquiring minds want to know!