Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judiegal6

mixing metals

judiegal6
9 years ago

What do you think about mixing finishes. We are down to the end of our build and deciding on door harware and lighting. We have 2 double glass paned french pocket doors. Im thinking of satin or brushed nickle for the pulls. As for the lighting fixtures would you say Its ok to go with a polished metal such as polished nickle, chrome or pewter?

Comments (13)

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I have a bazillion (ok, 4) metals going in to our new build. There was a recent thread on this subject and the general consensus was mix away!

• User
    9 years ago

I concur---- I like mixture.
    For those who are less comfortable with mixing metals, most would still say that it is still ok to interchange like metals as in chrome nickel pewter(silver or gray ) ...

• Christy Bell
    9 years ago

I agree, I think you can mix. In our last home we had all the knobs, door handles, hinges, facets, etc. in brushed nickel and all the lighting in bronze. In our current home, I've mixed it up since we haven't done any reno yet, but I would keep all the basics that run through the house the same - like doorknobs, faucets, etc.

• amck2
    9 years ago

This is subjective but I think it's fine to mix if it looks considered and the style is consistent. I have antique brass in most of my home but I chose chrome for all the fixtures in my bathrooms. I just like the clean classic look of it in a bathroom.

Our bedroom furniture has brushed nickel knobs on cherry. They go with the style of the house and other furnishings, so I never considered changing them.

• User
    9 years ago

We've ended up with a variety of metals in our house due to replacements and renovations. Between the five full baths we have three brushed nickel and two oil rubbed bronze. All our doors have bright brass doorknobs. We intended to change those to antique brass but the existing ones looked great with the newly painted black doors, so we kept them. I think it all works because nothing disparate is adjacent. If the house is spacious enough a mix of metals should be fine.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Judie, happy to see you posting! I always think of you in the late summer and fall and your big tomato garden and sauce canning. I hope you and your family are well.

I like a mix of metals in a home. I sometimes find it uncomfortable when everything matches perfectly.

Beth P.

• kam76
    9 years ago

We mixed metals like crazy and I have gotten lots of complements ...no one has said "wow, how come your door knobs are a different metal than your faucets and your light fixtures. That being said we went with an "old new house" look so I have a lot of antique lights and our doors/knobs look like older home ones.

I feel your pain, when you have to make the decision it seems like the biggest one in the world but once it is done and you are in your house you are not even going "notice" half the things that kept you awake at night. :)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I agonized over too much matching metals in my bathroom. I ended up with a mix of mostly chrome and some brushed nickel. I don't even notice it now. I'm more preoccupied with crows feet.

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

Good question. Here is an article I was reading this weekend on this very topic.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: MIxing metals

• Lars
    9 years ago

I would not mix chrome with nickel, whether it is polished or satin. I would mix pewter with nickel, however, as they are close in hue. Chrome has a slight bluish tint, and pewter and nickel are warmer. If you are already using nickel, I would recommend avoiding chrome. When I put new brushed nickel faucets and pulls in my bathroom, I made sure that I replaced all the chrome. Stainless steel gets its color from nickel, and so it goes well with nickel also.

Lars

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Well, it's kinda like this to me, publickman. I have brushed nickel door hardware throughout my house, including my bathroom door. I decided I like the look of chrome bathroom fixtures. I needed a new floor register that didn't stand out too much against my gray tile and went with brushed aluminum, which I called brushed nickel, but really, it isn't.

I know that chrome has a bluish tint because I can see it when I think about it. But most of the time, it's a faucet or a shower head and I'm washing and thinking about my day. What I tried to convey, but I guess I didn't, was it ended up not being a thing to me. I mixed and it doesn't matter.

• Aims
    9 years ago

We are doing all chrome on plumbing and some sort of silver finish on hardware for our build. For our lighting in the kitchen, we are going to do ORB.

Sometimes I get a little too matchy-matchy but I am going to break out of my comfort zone.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

aimless, when in doubt, I match. I got a lot of advice not to do that with my bathroom remodel. I thought I had already gone too far with the chrome, but it's hard to see it all at once so the fact that it matches just doesn't seem worth bothering about. I stress more about not matching and even that turns out okay.