Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavenderlver

Yard Sale Settee-Reveal!

lavenderlver
11 years ago

Hi again all!

Here is the settee I picked up for $5.00 at a neighbors yard sale. My attempts to clean a large stain resulted in the fabric being totally water stained and gross, so I painted the fabric and legs (were originally an expresso color).

It took 2 coats of a latex satin that I mixed with textile medium and water - the original fabric color was similar. If anyone has any questions about painting upholstery fabric, I would be happy to reply. I'm extremely pleased with how this turned out!

Comments (43)

• Sandy1963
    11 years ago

Wow....that came out nice!

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a close-up of the fabric, it's sort of a thin mattelasse. The feel of the fabric now is somewhat stiffer and fuller feeling, but not at all scratchy or rough.

• ttodd
    11 years ago

Well it looks really great! How does it feel? Can you take a close up of the fabric? How did you do it? Obviously I'm just a 'little' curious!

Well done!

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol Foxes! In the close-up it looks like paint is heavy on the high spots of the fabric - it really isn't and looks very natural in person.

I wouldn't recommend this process for comfy, slouchy type seating, a tailored piece is better suited. The paint does tighten the fabric a bit and like I mentioned not at all scratchy.

The fabric feels like a heavy duck or canvas.

I used some satin wall paint that we had in the house. There was approx. 1/8 of a gallon there and I have some left (there wasn't a drastic change in color, so YMMV). Mixed it with textile medium (I've heard that Martha Stuart brand isn't as good as some, I used Delta) 1 part paint to 1 part medium. Added water until the mixture was the consistency of a glaze, wet the fabric pretty good and brushed on using a medium sponge brush.

Thanks Sandy!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Looks great!!!!

• lascatx
    11 years ago

That looks great!

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Looks like a new Settee. Good job, not sure I'd have the patience that took.

• pudgeder
    11 years ago

Wow! That is gorgeous!

• artydecor
    11 years ago

Pur-ty good for $5.00 and some paint!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

That looks great! I've been considering this for a couple of wing chairs that were last reupholstered 26+ years ago. The fabric has more texture that any other examples I've seen until now, hence my hesitation. Thank you for the information.

• jlc712
    11 years ago

That is amazing! Looks great. I really want to try that technique...

• citywoman2012
    11 years ago

You have impressed me. You had nothing to lose, well, maybe
    $5 but look what you got!
    Beautiful piece, love it.

• loribee
    11 years ago

Lavenderlver...AMAZING! Good for you!

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the compliments, much appreciated :)

I am very picky and hard on myself when it comes to projects and had nightmares of the plastic seatcovers of the 60s. For those on the fence, don't be scared. I will say that I think the type of fabric can make a difference. My next project is painting a chair thats fabric is alot heavier - we'll see how that goes.

I'll post before and after pictures, as that may be helpful for those giving this type of project consideration.

Note to schoolhouse; it took a total of maybe 3 hours from start to finish. Much of that time was spent on the legs, as I originally chose a white that was too bright and shiny. After 3 coats, I decided to go with something else. If your item has alot of piping, welting or seams, I can absolutely see it being more of a test of patience.

• maddielee
    11 years ago

beautiful!

Is it dry enough to sit on yet? I guess I'm wondering it there will be any chance of color rub off if someone with dark clothing sits on it???

ML

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I think Pal posted this idea once so I did hear of painting fabric. But, it simply amazes me that his can be done.

• ghostlyvision
    11 years ago

That is so adorable!

• gmp3
    11 years ago

WOW!!!

I posted a link about painting fabric a while back and have been on the hunt for an ottoman to try it out on. That looks amazing!

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

maddielee, from what I've read, the color will not come off onto clothes, even wet swimsuits on painted kitchen chairs pads were not a problem. One of the great things about paint is that accidents can be wiped off.

Thanks again for the kind words!

• autumncolor5
    11 years ago

It looks brand new. Very nice. You did a great job. I like the fabric.

• sserra85
    11 years ago

I didn't even know painting fabric/upholstery was possible! That looks great, I may steal this idea from some sad looking kitchen chairs I have.

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

That's amazing!!! I never knew you could paint fabric either!!

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've started to work on victim #2 (the highback chair that I've inquired about). This project is going to be much more challenging. There's alot of piping and the fabric is a waaay tighter and smoother weave, almost slick.

I'll add pictures as soon as I have a moment.

As always, your comments are so appreciated!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

hmmmm .... I may do that to the hotel discard furniture I bought. It's in superb condition, extremely comfortable, but it's from 3 different hotels which means clashing fabrics.

If I keep the chair, 'cause I like it best, and paint the other two, it would look a whole lot better.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

That is amazing! Magnaverde first introduced us to fabric painting, and he used a multi-step process that turned the fabric to a suede-like texture.

I had to look up textile medium. It is described as: "This Delta Ceramcoat transforms acrylic paint into a washable fabric paint. It is flexible and non-cracking. It penetrates fibers for permanency and will not bleed."

What ratio of paint to textile medium did you use? And what kind of paint did you use? You mention latex paint. Most of what I see being sold is acrylic - do you think it would work the same?

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

WOW, doesn't look like paint at all!!

I read about someone else who painted a sofa, but she used several coats of paste wax to keep the paint from cracking, and it also gave a slight sheen. I always wondered if sliding off would be a problem. ;o)

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

graywings, the ratio of paint to medium is 1 part to 1 part. Then add 1/2 part water. This formula is for the 1st and 2nd coats. For the final coat(s) use less water! The piece above covered in 2 coats - there was no need to proceed.

Acrylics are fine, just more pricey. If you are doing a bright or saturated color piece, acrylics may be better. You could use latex for the base coats and then a final (or 2) coat(s) of acrylic.

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Current project:

Close-up of fabric:

With 2 very light coats of paint on the body of the chair. The cushion has not been painted yet and you can see a very minimal contrast - this is definately going to be more challenging!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Thank you for posting this project! I have my grandparents 1953 Flexsteel sectional that I recovered in 1992 in a blue flamestitch. Needless to say, my taste has changed. Because of sentimental value, I do not want to get dispose of the piece. You saved it by posting! Thank you, thank you!!!

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

motherof3sons, thank YOU, as I didn't realize this fabric was called a flamestitch! Makes sense, lol

As I mentioned above, this fabric is much more of a challenge to cover, painting a full sectional will be time consuming. I've finished the base coats on my chair and will start the final coverage coats this weekend. If you are interested, I will continue to post pictures.

• judyiowa
    11 years ago

Having never attempted such a thing, I have no idea what to use to apply the paint. A sponge brush, bristle brush, could a roller be used on a couch?

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the finished chair, the cushion is off and still drying. Not a huge change in color and look, but the country blue with mauve dots is now a light turquoise. Really freshened up the chair.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Wow, I bet your neighbor could kick her/himself now :)
    Can you paint any kind of fabric, i.e. cotton, wool, polyester? I'm itching to try this.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Great job Lavenderlver!

Question for all!
    Do you all think this recipe/technique could be used on hanging lined custom Roman shades? I'm redoing my master bath on a penny and have some expensive but fugly floral shades specially made for the tall narrow windows. I would like to greatly tone down the color mix.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Lavender come back...see my question above please.

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi jterrilynn! It just might work, is there any way you could post a picture of your shades? What is the background color of the shades?

And once again, thank you so much for the nice comments!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Ok but they are very ugly. I'll get them on tonight or eary tomorrow.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Here they are Lavender, do you think anything could be done with these?

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Are they fairly stiff material? What color were you thinking? If you use too many coats of paint, you may have difficulty opening and closing them, but a couple light coats should be ok.

Give it a try!

• debo_2006
    11 years ago

Will the paint eventually crack when sat on over time, I wonder....or peel?

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Hi Lav, I'm not good with figuring out fabric, it feels like med weight cotton except there are textured parts. The back lining looks like white cotton. I guess maybe I should just buy something else but the problem is that I haven't found anything I like (not in my price range anyway). I am keeping the wall tile shown and replacing my falling apart vanities with these. I got two vanities on craigslist for a song and redid them in this sable glaze. The floor tile is cream and the new sinks are cream half rounds that stand above the vanity counter 2". So, I guess I'm going for an eclectic look. When I saw your post here I thought maybe I could do something with the Roman Shades, but I don't know. I'm stuck on the windows any ideas?

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

debi_2006, I hope not. The paint mixture was thin enough that it was absorbed by the upholstery fibers, almost stained - time will tell. Down the line, if there is any cracking or peeling, I can reupholster the pieces.

Hmmm jterrilynn. The painting doesn't hide the texture, so that would remain. I wouldn't touch the backs of the shades, I'd give the fronts 2 or 3 very light coats of the paint mixture. The closer the paint is to the original fabric the better it will cover, but your shades would look very nice and fresh in a white or cream tone.

I'm leary about strongly recommending something that I've haven't tried myself - I'd feel terrible if it didn't work out. I suppose you could always replace the romans with regular white mini blinds worse come to worse.

Please let me know if I can be of further help!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Thanks Lavender and sorry I high jacked your thread but since you have experience with this sort of painting I really wanted your opinion. I think I will give the painting a try and if it doesn't work I will spring for some new shades.
    Some back ground...I'm in a part of Florida where the real estate market is still struggling for my size of home. Husband and I want to down size so that is why I'm spiffing with a tight budget in mine. The roman shades that are there will not show well in reality pictures. However, if I spend money on new Roman shades I will be throwing out good money. It is not in my blood to waste money. So, that is the dilemma along with the fact that non-custom romans will fit within the window and force me into then doing a window casing surround. Grrr, I'm sick of labor!

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz