Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phiwwy

Blank slate basement - show me your accent wall, or basement

phiwwy
9 years ago

I know this is an odd posting. But I'm redoing my very simple basement for a teen hangout. I want neutral walls but will consider an accent color on the TV wall or sofa wall. I'm thinking of a neutral wall like BM revere pewter, edge comb gray, kingsport gray - something like that. Love to see pix of any room with accent walls and/or accepts with fun color pop!

I'm planning to go with a light floor in the Allure vinyl wood-floor look and area rug. Haven't purchased anything yet - walls just going in now.

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• mojomom
    9 years ago

Well since you asked and because I have felt guilty about never doing a reveal of my basement project (embarrassed, actually, because it'll never live up to some of the amazing work I've seen in this forum), but here goes . . .

• fnmroberts
    9 years ago

You don't mention if yours is a traditional basement or walkout. In any event, lighting in a basement is critical - even for a teen who might prefer dark. Good lighting on dimmers is required to make the space suitable for one to occupy. I suggest installing ceiling canisters, wall sconces and outlets where table lamps might be positioned.

A couple other items - consider your climate and provide for supplementary heat, return air and seasonal - de-humidification. A below-grade basement will be cool year around and damp in summer.

Do you have a sump pump? if so install a back-up for protection in the event of electrical or pump failure.

We finished our basement as entertainment space. Within a great room concept, accent colors define different areas. Our general wall/ceiling color is an off-white, flooring is grey vinyl but the fixtures, art and many of the furnishings provide accent.

Photos are linked. Good luck and enjoy yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Basement

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

Mojomom, please share details about that beautiful sectional! I love the shape/style and color.

• mojomom
    9 years ago

Sure, glad you like it. Room and Board -- York, I think. I can't remember the color, but it was one of the stock colors.

This post was edited by mojomom on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 14:39

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I like basements to not feel like a basement so I tend to avoid the earth colors or cement colors and instead opt for sunshine, sky, light and bright....add daylight where there is none...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

mojomom, your room is lovely! Well done!

• jjam
    9 years ago

mojomom, great looking space! Is your sectional a sleeper by any chance?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Whoa, fmroberts.....I want your bar.....or at least the contents! That's a party basement!

Mojomom, love your colors and relaxed family style.

Phylil, you may want to consider a feature wall in a different material instead of a different color. We used exterior siding on an interior wall of our basement, painting the same color as the wall only in a semigloss sheen, not eggshell. I love how it turned out--- gives great architectural interest and keeps the light wall color throughout. We got our bright color from furnishings and botanical prints.

You can see the wall to the right with a door to outside has siding.

This post was edited by kswl on Wed, Oct 22, 14 at 0:17

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Sorry, I can't get links from smugmug because it's still not compatible with OS 8 for ipad, so posting photos one at a time ;-( This shows the stairs coming down into this room and the siding on the wall. This is one of my favorite features of the room because it adds so much interest.

• mojomom
    9 years ago

Thanks. No it is not a sleeper, although it has been slept upon. R&B does have several very similar sectionals that are sleepers.

• mojomom
    9 years ago

kwsl. That your basement is amazing, and usually a lurker here, I enjoyed seeing it come together. No wonder I have felt too intimidated to post mine!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I dont know why, mojomom---- your pictures look just like I envisioned ours--- light, pretty, and functional. I think that is the goal for all basement family spaces!

And jjim, in our house every sofa is a "sleeper," lol, although none are pullouts. That is why we put daybeds downstairs, I didn't want someone sleeping in the library unless it was absolutely necessary. Our four bedrooms are just right when our kids are all home, but a couple of times a year I need six or seven bedrooms (and really miss our old house, which had them). Now between the daybeds and the library we have enough room for the crush of guests at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! These are great ideas. love the clapboard but since the green board is already up, I don't want to spend more money on siding.
    mojomom - your basement is pretty much exactly what I envision for mine. Looks like it's about the same size too.

FYI mine is a traditional basement - no walkout. 1 small window in the "living" area. I run a dehumidifier and it works fine. Heat and cooling is fine too.

Any other ideas for a different texture or material on an accent wall?

• jlj48
    9 years ago

Love your basement mojomom!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Batting and burlap? I've seen fabric covered walls and they look great--- much warmer than wallpaper, which might be better for a basement anyway.

• mojomom
    9 years ago

Ok, brave enough to post a collage of our basement. The apartment was already there. This is at our ski house and when we lost our wonderful long term tenant, we just decided to take it over ourselves. New paint, flooring and furnishings. Our plan was to make a comfortable guest suite for ski weeks and to have another living/tv area when it's just the 4 or 5 us. No moisture issues.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Look on line for Candice Olson stuff...she has done some terrific basement redos, including this one with a fabulous wallpaper mural.
    Before

After

• mojomom
    9 years ago

I remember that one, Annie. It's a good one. Also check out Houzz if you can wade through it. This is the basement we used as inspiration. I had forgotten that the walls were a yellow that will help brighten up the space as suggested.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

My family room is fairly small, and crammed with stuff - big furniture and things on the walls. If I had a fairly open wall, I would stencil birch trees on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: stencils

• carriem25
    9 years ago

Our basement is very much a man cave, and is full of sports memorabilia. We have two teenagers and this room has seen a lot of use over the years. It is a walkout, so we have a full window and a door on the right of the picture.

The pic is a few years old and we have some more treasures hung, but the blue wall is still the same.

Carrie