Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vall622_gw

Size area rug

vall622
9 years ago

Hi. Redoing our family room and need an area rug. Not sure if the rug needs to go all the way to the tv unit. That would be about 15 feet long. Or can I get one just in front of sofas?

Thanks so much

Comments (19)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd get two: one larger one for in front of the chair and sofa, so that the front feet of each are on the rug, and the rug extends to about 8 inches from the wall/doors (make sure you can open the doors!), and a smaller rug, 4x6, in that area, in front of the TV.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

What is the size of the room? There's no way to tell anything from the picture you've posted.

• vall622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry. The room is 19 feer by 11 feet. The sofa and live seat are against walls. As is the tv unit.

• andee_gw
    9 years ago

The problem with a 15 ft. long rug is that the other dimension might be too wide for your room. Two rugs is a good suggestion.

Can you move the sofa along the wall towards the TV, and then float the love seat away from the wall where it is now? Maybe you would only need a 9x12 in front of the furniture.

• vall622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it would get in the way of the patio doors. I wish the room was opposite and the tv was on the love seat wall and sofas in the back. That way they probably could be in more without blocking the door. But the wall units would not fit.

• vall622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it would get in the way of the patio doors. I wish the room was opposite and the tv was on the love seat wall and sofas in the back. That way the sofa probably could be in more without blocking the door. But the wall units would not fit. On the short wall

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I would also change the layout of the furniture. Move the large sofa down the wall toward the TV a bit, i.e.: center it on the doors. Put the loveseat at an "L" with the sofa, facing the direction the TV is facing now. Put a square table in the corner the two sofas make. Put the TV either on the wall where the loveseat is now or at an diagonal in the corner, and leave the two tall cases on the wall where they are now, pushed together. It is easy to move a cable outlet.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

There is no reason to use two rugs in this room. The existing layout is just not conducive to conversation or watching TV.

Here's a new suggested layout for your room using a 9 x 12 size rug.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Beverly, that is the layout I suggested in the comment above yours, except that the tall cases on either side of the TV wouldn't fit on the small wall with the TV on its stand. AT least it doesn't look like it would.

And you're right, with that setup, only one rug would be needed.

• andee_gw
    9 years ago

Although the book cases and TV stand look at though they are matching pieces, the three of them don't fit together as an integral unit. I'd follow the suggestions above and put the TV stand where the loveseat is now, and put the cases elsewhere in the room.

• amykath
    9 years ago

This is just a thought. Might be a cozier set up for conversation and watching tv. Not sure this will work for you, but thought I would share. This is a 6x9 rug. Ignore the choices, they were all I had in homestyler.

• vall622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. The three pieces won't all fit on the short wall. If i do switch the layout and move the loveseat in more isn't that wasted awkward space behind it?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

not necessarily. it's a clear path to the patio doors without having to walk in front of the people watching TV. .

• User
    9 years ago

Good Dog!! Avoid the doggy bed if possible in favor of the couch! You are good people and I would call you "friend".

• mdln
    9 years ago

Love that dog prefers couch to pet bed, smart doggie. :-)

• vall622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yea. My family is now making fun that I bought that bed. Lol

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

vall, no wasted space. the exact same amount of space that is used in your current layout will be used in the new ones.

• vall622
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If i do. Move the loveseat up i will have to switch the tv to other side. Now to convince my husband to move the cable.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

vall, moving a cable outlet is very easy, esp. if you're over a basement. Even using an outside wall. Just put a splitter on the wall and drill a hole. Just make sure you seal it so rain doesn't get into your walls.