Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Table difficulty

chloenkitty
9 years ago

I posted about needing a banquette table and received suggestions about going to a restaurant sply co, etsy, etc., thank you. Restaurant sply did not pan out and I shocked at the etsy prices as I do not want to pay upwards of $2000 just for this table alone.

I have it down to options that I would like opinions on please. if I want to go with the Corian top I can do that. I can get two chrome pedestal legs from somewhere like table bases.com and have the Corian attached to that. I can also just have an all white pedestal or trestle table built. In someways I like the idea of perhaps having white legs and a light tan top. Would it all look too sterile if the legs and the top of the table were white? The banquette trim is white of course and the cushions will be a tannish grey. Very similar to the inspiration photo shown here. I also considered having DARK WOOD legs like my floor and a white top.

I know it seems like I'm putting too much thought into this table, but it is one of the first things you see when you come into my home. It is an open concept, so when you open the front door and enter the home, you look straight ahead into my kitchen and family room. The banquette is the first thing that you see, so I really want it to be nice.

Thoughts? All white wood trestle or pedestal? White legs with Corian top? Dark legs, white top? Thank you.

Comments (18)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Since you asked -- to me, a Corian top on chrome legs does sound sterile. For some reason, all I can think of is a cafeteria. If your kitchen is similar to the above (not super modern), I think something other than Corian/chrome would be nicer. I don't think I have ever seen a Corian-topped kitchen table, come to think of it.

I think a painted white trestle table would look nice -- like your inspiration photo.

I don't suppose you live near Maine, do you? This place has a number of different trestle tables.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Home

This post was edited by sueb20 on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 8:31

• amykath
    9 years ago

Can you post a photo of your space? What color cabs do you have? I think I am liking the trestle the best. I would have one made. Not sure about the wood/white etc combo without knowing more about your space.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Go with wood. You can always strip it and stain it or paint it later if you want to do so. With Corian and chrome, you're stuck with that forever, and it can look dated awful if it goes out of style.

• amykath
    9 years ago

There are many at World Market.

Here is a link that might be useful: table link

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Who is in the household? Will the white trestle get beat up from people sliding in and out? You might think everyone will be as careful as you and always lift their feet over but that was not my experience with the trestle table we had. And short people (like me) tend to use trestles as a foot rest. I don't think the white and chrome has to look sterile but that is a risk - a lot depends on the other elements. If you picture the table above having chrome legs, I personally don't think it would look sterile because of the other elements. Will your banquette area have nicely cased seating like above? Will a rug be in view? The darker legs on a trestle will be much more forgiving than the white and I think would look really nice with a corian top. I don't have a problem with that material for the table top - it's warm, unlike stone, and a nice edge detail will take it up a notch. Doesn't have to be an ornate multi-edge ogee - something simple will still work.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I have a 20 year old Corian topped table with a pedestal base. It is pretty much bullet proof although over the years it did get some minor scratches on the surface like any table will. I had the top buffed out about 10 years ago and it looked brand new again. I still really like my table because it is not a typical wood top.

If you think you will be moving your table in or out of the banquette area very often be aware that a Corian top table is very heavy. My table has a leaf to extend it from round to oval. I keep the leaf in all the time because the leaf itself is too heavy to be taking it in and out and carrying it to a closet for storage.

Here is a shot of my table

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

I like the continuity of soft colors in the picture above. Your colors are similar, correct? If you have darker wood tones in the family room , you color pull the wood tone over.

I second the comment about metal legs looking institutional if no other metal accents are in the room. Are your appliances stainless? Perhaps that would make them tie together, you can't see the appliances in your inspiration picture.

I do like the idea of a Corian table. That would be great, easy to keep clean, no need to keep protected from heat or water, etc.

• User
    9 years ago

Your cabinets are white, correct? What color countertops? One final important question - do you have kids who will be using the table regularly?

If you've already got a lot of white in cabinets and/or counters, I'd lean toward something entirely in a stained wood that works with your floors. It will stand up better to abuse than painted white. Corian is even more durable of course, but I would only go that route if you are using the same materials on your counters.

My bias is this: I have an L-shaped banquette used daily by 2 boys for meals, homework, coloring etc, and the best aspects of the whole setup are the Sunbrella fabric on the cushions and the fact that the table is wood and metal (a World Market knockoff of zinc.)

• hhireno
    9 years ago

The banquette is the first thing that you see, so I really want it to be nice.
    I know you have a many, many expenses in your new build but if the above statement is true then this is not a place to skimp. It's highly visable and will be used hard (?) so buy something of quality.

You also seem to be following your inspiration picture very closely. Will you be disappointed every time you see it if you go a completely different direction than the IP? Only you can answer that. A Corian top with metal legs will look very different than the trestle in the IP. Not necessarily better or worse, just different.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

It sounds like you really prefer the wood trestle legs, and if so, I'd do it. As I mentioned before, just make sure there is adequate support underneath the counter between the two trestle bases. Check with your fabricator -- underlayment (if even allowed with Corian) may be insufficient if your span exceeds 24 inches (which is likely). You may need an apron or metal support bars. Remember, it's not just the heavy top but it's kids that will inevitably lean/stand on the mid section. This is what makes the Corian and stone tops more challenging than wood tops.

Below is a link to an Amish firm's selection... some of the BYO choices would be ideal. Some might require a support frame.

Here is a link that might be useful: PDF of Example Bases

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I would go with a dark base.....a white base will get scuffed up pretty quickly with people sliding in and out. Also, in this case, a wood top over corian. If you want to move the table out to use for extra serving space at parties, etc. it will be easier.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

What is the emotional over-all tone of your kitchen/house/family and what is it that you want to project to family/friends/visitors when they walk into your house.

Forget matching your kitchen for a minute, forget being "practical" for a minute. Do you want to project a cold, sterile image or a warm, welcoming one?

I happen to like the warmth of real wood whether it's dark, light, weathered, matte, shiny, painted, whatever. It just, for me, gives a more welcoming image than something cold and white.

But that's just me. Having said that, I have been looking for a new kitchen table now for 4 years - still not found the one that I want. But it will be wood.

This post was edited by blfenton on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 13:34

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think SueB posted the perfect thing.

$1295, order it in all white. Looks just like your photo. And just like the Swedish antique I have, so I may be biased here!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Forgot to add ---
    I used a marble remnant as a desk top for a wrought iron base. One word. Brrrrrr.
    Might Corian be a bit cold to sit at?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'd get the World market Verona trestle table and paint it white or at let at least the top white. It's sturdy and inexpensive, and has great reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: trestle table

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I love the look of the trestle table in your inspiration photo and the examples that SueB and mtn have posted. I'm just starting to come around to the idea of trestle tables. Love how they look, plus somewhere to rest my tootsies.

I don't care for Corian as a table top. I think my first choice would be stained wood throughout, and paint only if I were convinced it would hold up. I just don't see how it could as a casual dining surface. Forks, serrated knives, etc.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I'll try to remember all the questions to answer. It's just my hubby and me and my best guess is we will sit at the island more than the banquette table, but I won't know for sure until we move in two weeks :) I did find a local am through word of mouth today who is suppose to be good at making furniture. He is coming to the hose in a few days to se the space and elements, which I think is good.

Cabinets are white, appliances stainless, floors a dark, hand scraped hickory. I have the same backsplash as in the inspiration photo, classic white quartzite countertops (white with gray veining) and mini crystal chandeliers over the island. Over the banquette the light is a sheer white drum shade with a chandelier peaking out the bottom of it.

At this point, after talking to the woodworker and reading your posts, I am leaning towards a wood table in either all white or dark legs to match the flor and a white top. I do like that world market table and will go see if the size would work, however, I think the all dark wood in the white banquette may bother me. Thanks all!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Trestle works well, but I'm still not into corian top...I worry about structural integrity and I think it will look more institutional vs. the warm look your inspiration pic seems to capture. We have corian in our Mbath and it's fine in there, but somehow I can't see it as a banquette...