Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baroo2u_gw

15 Minute Design Challenge

Baroo2u
10 years ago

I'm heading to town and have decided TODAY'S the day to paint the bedroom!

The furmiture is cherry, so's the floor. The space is traditional, not huge by today's standards, one south window but lots of trees so light often has a greenish cast.

Given all of the above--and considering but not limited to my preference for warm, toasty mid-to-deep earth tones--what fabulous, tried and true, can't-live-without paint color (BM, SW or Home Depot) would you wrap around yourself to hibernate for the winter? The sky's the limit...but keep on mind it shouldn't clash with the bed accessories in the photo !

Comments (20)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Since it's a color I'd have to live with for awhile, I would choose less impulsively. But you asked, so here goes...

BM cork...it'll go with the dogs too.

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

Annie, I thought that by "bed accessories", OP meant the dogs, ha ha!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

OT: What are those dogs?!!!

• teacats
    10 years ago

BM colors:

Hancock Gray HC-97
    Hampshire Gray HC-101
    Sage 2143-10
    Mystic Gold HC-37
    Decatur Buff HC-38
    Everard Gold CW-435

• tracie.erin
    10 years ago

Ooh, are those basenjis? They're adorable. They must give you a lot of trouble ;)

I love Behr's Truly Olive. It's darker than I would have gone but DH made me go with the next darkest on the strip. It's super cozy in my east facing bedroom. I have cherry furniture, dark brown hardwood floors, and a primarily sky blue Oriental rug (with tans, greens and brick red in it too).

I previously had the room painted Woodlawn Blue and it was just too light for that cozy feel, and it made the shadows show up too well and make the room feel dingy.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

not a color guru, but -- gorgeous dogs!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Our bedroom is sage green - it's been a while, I can't remember the color name. But DH and I love it - it is very soothing.

I love your pups!

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

Totally not what you asked, but nothing is cozier or adds more depth (or harmonizes better with everything you already have!) than grasscloth wallpaper:

{{!gwi}}

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'm sure I'm too late, but I would consider BM Palladian Blue or even darker, like Van Deusen Blue

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the nice comments about my boyz, both are rescues and have come a long, long way. For those of you who asked, yes they're Basenjis--a semi-domestic african breed. And Tracie. Erin is 100% right: they're TROUBLE! In fact, one of them just got ahold of a big black permanent marker and is heading for the red leather sofa...they're like super fast 2 year olds with teeth. As "accessories" go, these dogs should definitely come with a warning label, lol! But back to the paint color...

Point well taken, Annie...maybe I'll put the painting off until saturday...but thx fpr the suggestion, I've always liked BM Cork. Have you ever used it?

Teacats, good choices--I'll have to check my decks. I'm looking at Decatur Buff and Mystic gold for other rooms, but MG might work for the BR, too.

Tracie.erin and Annkh, your olive and sage suggestions are a great idea...do either of you have pictures??? I hadn't considered green at all, but I definitely should.

Circuspeanut, I LOVE grasscloth! Unfortunately, so do the dogs...basenjis are grazers, apparently. If I could find a really nice vinyl faux grasscloth I'd be all over it...'tho then they'd pro'bly develop a taste for the glue :p

• ellendi
    10 years ago

OT: Circuspeanut! How is your new house coming along. Not sure if I missed your posts.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Hampshire Grey. It's the only non white we have anywhere in or outside of out house.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, so this is turning into more of a 15 HOUR design challange, lol! I've gone over every color suggestion and keep getting stuck on Annie's suggestion, Cork or the next two colors on that strip, Rich Cream and Desert Tan.. But I'm also stuck on CC 244 French Toast (too dirty beige?) and CC 242 Maple Fudge (but would that turn out creamsicle orange?)...AND then there's Filtered Sunlight...eeeeeeeeee, overload, overload!!

Good News: my color vision IS returning. Bad news: obvoously not fast enough : P

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, so my 15 minute design challenge became a 15 month design challenge--what can I say? My resident "Bed Accessories" keep me busy--plus I've added a 3rd, 'tho this one isn't a Basenji: every household needs one dog who does what they're told! Savannah is a lovely GSD/Husky/Collie X and is already adept at herding the other two : D

I actually chose a textured handmade-unbleached-paperish wallpaper which I found totally by accident. In fact, I'm ashamed to say I almost knocked over a sharply dressed matron in my race to get to it before she did. The paper accents my cherry furniture perfectly, and I pulled a number of deer prints from storage and had them matted & placed in matching cherry frames

Below is the result of everyone's suggestions! My original plan was to paint the walls to work with an existing bedspread, but as usually happens the project grew to include new wall lamps, biilding closet organizers (much easier than reading installation instructions on the kits!), replacement of all trim (thanks to Annie for the trim color!), new bedding and sewing coordinated window treatment & dust ruffle when I couldn't find them in exactly the right color.

What do you think?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

colors are pretty, love the bedding, but I find I'm missing the headboard...that was so pretty too...

• dakota01
    9 years ago

I tried desert tan in my laundry room that has cream trim and a tanish ceramic floor. It looked like the color of skin, so I passed on it. Went with a safe color that is used and used Kilim beige.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Lenox Tan?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Don't use lenox tan unless you want the room to feel dark. We used it in a bedroom and while the color is pretty, it soaks up every ounce of light we put in the room...that was before I knew about LRV....

• amykath
    9 years ago

I would stay away from any colors that might turn a green hue if that is what you are trying to escape. Maybe a warm beige gray or a gray. Just a thought.

BM Storm Gray
    BM Revere Pewter

I snagged this from pinterest. Love a lot of these colors.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, I know what you mean about the headboard! It didn't work with the new frame, mattress and box spring combo. I'm thinking I'd like to DIY one, since it's difficult to purchase a nice one without a footboard--hubby dislikes those and I can't say I blame him.

Aktillery,that's a great swatch--I wish there was an online tool to assemble paint chips from different brands like that for comparison!

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms