Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Sealing a marble floor question

chloenkitty
9 years ago

Hello! The tile has been installed in our powder room, it is a marble mosaic. I asked the builder if he was going to seal it and he basically said no. Please tell me if I'm wrong because I've never had a marble floor before, but I was under the impression this should be sealed as soon as possible. They will be installing the sink and the toilet etc. and I fear with their boots and plumbing parts etc. the floor will get scratched. Perhaps it should be done after but I'm just not sure. He also said they usually let the owners just do that at a later time. Please let me know as I have never installed a marble floor. Thanks so much.

Comments (9)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd call someone else and get an opinion. My understanding is that marble is very porous and must be sealed. I have a client who had marble installed for her island countertop during her kitchen reno three years ago, and it's completely a mess with water rings already.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Is there a chance that your marble was sealed at the factory?

ML

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

They will be installing the sink and the toilet etc. and I fear with their boots and plumbing parts etc. the floor will get scratched

Sealing doesn't do anything to prevent scratching.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I was visiting my best friend this summer and her DH was re-doing a bathroom. It's a historic home and she wanted me to help choose the flooring, and marble was our choice. After installing, her DH immediately sealed it. Since we brought home the tiles, he had no contact with anyone re:a question of sealing, so he must have known this is something which needs to be done on completion. Hope this helps.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

Not marble but....My son had ceramic tile put in their kitchen with white grout. Their installer did not recommend sealing the grout....said it was easier to clean without the sealer. I had never heard of that.

• aiallega
    9 years ago

I think marble tile is supposed to be sealed before grouting but I don't know for sure.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Sealing won't prevent etching. My marble powder room floor of Carrara is etched. That's a property of marble. My marble counters are etched, too.

• theresa2
    9 years ago

I installed my mother's travertine marble backsplash with my brother who is a contractor. We sealed the marble before installing so that the grout would not stain the tile. I think we did two coats of sealer because the first coat sucked in. We had a choice of sealer, one was more shiny and one was matte. We choice matte.

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

I sealed my Carrara marble hex floor (after grouting) with a product called 511 on the advice of the marble retailer. It's a liquid and very easy to apply. I try to do it about twice a year. It still looks like new.

I think you can find more info. on this in other threads on GW. Try doing a google search for marble sealing Garden Web.

You might also consider putting cardboard down to cover the majority of the floor before the plumbers arrive.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living