Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Want to help pick interior door knobs? Mixy pickle!

jterrilynn
9 years ago

I'll try to set the scene. My house was built in 83' but is very 70's in a lot of ways...except this is Florida so it's a mixy. I have brass, stainless, Chrome and bronze finishes throughout. The bronze is in very small doses. Right now all the doors have cheap brass look knobs. I CANNOT do lever handles because my Rottweiler can easily open those and it freaks guests out to find him sitting next to the bed staring at them.

The pickle I'm in is that this is all open plan, two side doors on one end and six doors going into guest bathroom and bedrooms at the other end. One door set is double doors that go into the remodeled master and master bath with yet another door leading to M- bathroom. The master bedroom part will have some brass but the master bath is all chrome so I'm not sure how to graduate into that area. I would prefer all house interior knobs be the same. The knobs all need to be privacy sorts that will lock.

I'm not sure what will work in this contemporary /vintage with a tiny pinch of rustic. I wish there were a metal finish that was in between a brass and stainless look but I have found nothing. Somehow I'm not seeing bronze either. I found a honey comb style I like that was brass that gave the illusion of a two toned metal but it had no lock. All the doors are painted except master doubles that are stained.

Your thoughts!?

Dress me please!

Comments (8)

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I'm afraid I can't help you much with your mixed metals conundrum -- just get the one you like most?

but this post needs a WARNING for all those reading it first thing in the morning while drinking coffee for this bit: "I CANNOT do lever handles because my Rottweiler can easily open those and it freaks guests out to find him sitting next to the bed staring at them. "

(cleans off monitor)

• yayagal
    9 years ago

would you consider all black throughout?

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

JTerriLynn got me, and my monitor, too! LOL What a visual treat!

My guests are told to keep their door closed for a similar reason. Harry has not learned to open the lever-handled doors, yet, but if a door is not tightly shut, he noses his way in - and jumps in bed with them.

I've heard it's a bit surprising for the uninitiated to find a 75-lb. beastie boy stretched out on his back, long legs dangling in the air, floppy ears and lips twitching with his light snores sharing their pillow!

Most of our over-night guests are DH's hunting buddies; they don't seem to mind. The ones that do mind remember to click the door shut. Then Harry stays where he's supposed to be, snoring between DH and me!

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

I have round satin nickel knobs in my house and a few bronze light fixtures, some silver kitchen hardware and black knobs on the living room cabinetry. I would say my home is traditional/contemporary style. I think mixing metals is just fine but I agree all doors should match in color of hardware. I have a mix of round knobs and levers but they are all satin nickel. Are your brass hinges changing also? The satin nickel is more toned down than the stainless color. The round style here is simple and readily available in different brands. All my faucets are stainless or chrome.

Love that your dog likes to surprise house guest! too funny...

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

satin chrome shown here has a much brighter appearance. The Stain nickel is more of a toned down silver IMHO

• amykath
    9 years ago

I would go with black or Oil rubbed bronze. Pewter reminds me of a mix of brass and satin nickel

Here is a link that might be useful: Pewter

• bowbat
    9 years ago

We faced a similar situation with our house (coincidentally also in Florida). It was built in the '70s and had various "upgrades" over the years resulting in a hodgepodge of metal finishes throughout. Mind you, I am a-ok with mixing metals (I actually prefer it to everything matching), but it needs to look cohesive.

We ultimately went with satin nickel knobs everywhere. My other options were bronze, but I don't care for the "rubbed" aspect with copper-colored bits showing through (which most seem to have to some extent), or matte black, but I couldn't find an affordable option I liked. So nickel it was.

I honestly think any finish would work so long as it's the same on all interior knobs. When all knobs are the same finish, they don't jump out at you so much. (Note: our bathroom fixtures are all chrome, most of our lighting fixtures in the house are dark bronze, and they all play together nicely.)

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all!
    Here is the reason behind the no levers. He thinks he is so handsome and charming that everyone should love him. If they are leery or frightened at all he is relentless with his mission to make them love him. HeâÂÂll stare at you all night hoping he can wear you down and youâÂÂll give in and pet him. If that doesnâÂÂt work he will follow you around all day looking needy.

Now back to the door knob dilemmaâ¦
    Yaya & Aktillery say black and Rtw and Bowbat say nickel. So how about this idea or something close, itâÂÂs antiqued nickel.
    Yes or nooooo?

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022