Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claga_gw

Help Needed for Seasonal Coastal Maine Cottage Design

claga
9 years ago

Hi,
We are purchasing a small cottage in a gated community in southern coastal Maine. The cottage is 760 sq ft. with 2 Bedrooms; a 3 season porch (approx 12'x16') with a catheral ceiling.
The main area in the cottage is a kitchen/dining room combo with a catheral ceiling, although some people use the extra space adjacent to the kitchen as a living room and put their dining room out on the porch.
We are going with the standard Schrock Reflection (white thermofoil) Kitchen cabinets (upgrades are expensive). There are only 5 granite selections to chose from. We have narrowed the slim choices to either Bianco Sardo or Blue Saphire. The flooring in the main kitchen/living room area is the Adura Mannington Dockside Flooring. (many colors/patterns to choice from)
We like the Dockside Sand color, but we are not sure the floor color will go with the white cabinets and the 2 granite choices we are considering.
The porch and the two bedrooms are carpet.
We trying to go with a medium brown color (6 gramd children).
We are going for the cottage feel without going crazy with the theme.
We have the 2 bedroom sets and would like to get a harvest table for the dining area.
If you could please provide opinions and wall color selections for all of the rooms and furnishing for the porch.

Thanks

Comments (11)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

You'll get a response if you post some pictures.

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

Are you planning on painting all rooms the same color?

We just finished a small lakehouse with 1300 square feet and a 300 or so loft. We painted it all the same grey blue, and that, to me, goes a long way towards making a small cottage feel larger and more cohesive. At the most, I would just do lighter and darker shades of the same color.

Can you provide swatches of colors you're considering?

• claga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I wish we could attach photos' but the lot is just being cleared and the framing hasn't started yet..
    The community closes at the end of October and the developer wants all selections made and in by November 15th so his crew can work through the winter. We are suppose to close on the cottage in mid January.
    We were hoping the bloggers on this site could pass on past experiences and solutions, or fresh ideas.

thanks again

• yayagal
    9 years ago

The dockside will work wonderfully with your white cabs and i would choose the blanco sardo over the blue sapphire. I'd deliberately keep it light due keeping a feeling of the seaside and the dimensions of the cottage. As for the carpets, I think a medium tan is spot on, keep the nap low. You may want to rethink carpeting as it has a high upkeep vs flooring. The beauty of flooring is that you can always put rugs down. My cottage has all wood flooring. For wall colors I'd go light, in my cottage I did them all different soft shades of whites, now I feel like doing rhem all BM seashell.

• claga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yayagal,
    any thoughts of what color dockside flooring to use?
    what kind of wood flooring did you use in your cottage?

I like the idea of wood flooring with area rugs

thanks

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Our cottage is 115 years old and has the original Douglas fir floors. We had them refinished. We did ours and I think you could do the same in a medium sort of butterscotch tone, more to the light side. Let me go look at the dockside tones and I'll report back.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Okay it would be between the sand and the pier. The darker tones show every speck of dirt but that's my opinion. I like like the pier the best, your trestle table would look great with it.

• amck2
    9 years ago

If you can do it, I'd upgrade to all solid surface flooring. It will stay nicer looking and be so much easier to maintain, especially if you will be hosting grandkids.

Along those lines I'd suggest using one light neutral paint color throughout. It's easier for touch ups and will not visually chop up the space. While it might sound boring to some, I think you can add your color punches with rugs, dinnerware, art, etc.

This post was edited by amck on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 21:17

• claga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all of your suggestions and opinions.

I am unable to visualize un-finished spaces; so please keep the thoughts and ideas coming!!!

Thanks again

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Here are some shots of cottages and, as you can see, they look great in lighter tones. I like rustic accents and organic also i.e. driftwood lamps, stone sculpture, aged metal containers, shelves made of reclaimed wood, etc. There are so many ways to go with the decor. I started with all solid wood fir walls that were oh sooo cozy and I decorated to the original date of the house as well as could be incorporating modern conveniences but after 15 years of it and people begging me not to change it, I had every bit of wood painted and I love it. So here you go. I'm happy for you to have found your dream place.

Here is a link that might be useful: cottages

• claga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yayagal,
    thank you for the link it gives us alot of great ideas.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH