Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

asap - any experience with uv blocking film on windows?

bbstx
9 years ago

We have double front doors that are 2/3rds glass panes. The door is under a small porch. The house faces east. For several hours every day, I get direct sun through the doors. I do not want to cover the doors with any sort of window covering (shutters, shades, roman shades, etc.).

In a couple of hours, a fellow is going to give me an estimate on putting UV blocking film on the door glass. I DO NOT WANT TINTED FILM, just something to block the UV rays. If his estimate is acceptable, he can do the job today. (Same guy has already applied shatter-proof film on a window near an exterior stair. Building inspector wouldn't issue CO until it was done.)

Does anyone have any experience with UV blocking film on glass?

Comments (11)

• User
    9 years ago

I have sun blocking and reflecting film on different windows in an attempt to keep the couple of rooms that get sun through glass cooler in the summer. However, I used Gila film and did it myself. The blocking film is tinted, and the reflecting film is very thin and mirrored, hence the reflecting of the sun rays. It was pretty easy to do, although the reflecting film was much more difficult as it is so thin. It stays on surprisingly well. For a front door, though, I'd get a pro to do it so that there are NO air bubbles or creases. Is there UV film that has no tinting or mirroring? You can always try to do it yourself and just peel it right off if it doesn't come out well. No glue or anything is used. But I'm sure you don't want mirrored either. Check out 3M; they make it also and may have clear film.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Tibb, but I'm going to have this done professionally. Some things I'll DIY, but I just don't think I have the skills or patience to do this job properly. And on my front door, I want it perfect.

I'm hopeful the pro is going to have some film that appears to be clear but blocks the UV rays. If I have to go with a slight tint, I may do that.

The sun reaches into the LR and strikes the rug and a chair. In the entry, it is blasting down on a chest that I love. Some protection is necessary.

In our old house we had woven wood roman shades on similar doors. DH kept them down all the time and it drove me nuts! It was like living in a cave. If I were to put up window coverings, I'm afraid he would keep them down all the time. Best way to avoid it becoming an "issue" is just not to have anything like that on the windows.

• User
    9 years ago

I think that using the window films voids the door's warranty - it would probably only void the window part of your door though. I considered having it done on the windows in my last house but decided against it because of this. On a door though, I probably would go ahead and do it.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gail, I asked the construction superintendent for the builder who built my house specifically if using the film would void the warranty and he said it would not.

They are about 75% finished with the install now. Looking through the glass toward the outside, I cannot tell any difference between the filmed panes and the unfilmed panes. But looking on the floor where the sun is hitting, I can tell a vast difference!

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

I would be interested to know the name of the film you used. Is it expensive? I love open windows but end up pulling the blinds down in the summer because it gets very hot.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rtw, the installer told me that the film doesn't reflect heat. It just cuts down on the UV rays that come through the glass. I have no idea what the name of the film was. They charged me $175 to do 12 panes on the door. Each pane is 7 1/2 " x 19". It took 2 people about an hour and a half.

• User
    9 years ago

rtwilliams, was your post meant for bbstx or me? I used Gila film, which I got at Home Depot. If I were to do it again, I think I'd go with 3M.

If you do get these films (read up on them as they have different kinds, i.e.: privacy, sun blocking, unreflecting), DON'T buy the bottle of spray you need to use to adhere it. Just mix a capful of dish detergent with water in a spray bottle and have at it.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I'd ask if it was a 3-M product. I think they've made some significant advances and if I were to use film again, I'd use this stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3-M Prestige Series

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

bbstx

So in the end, do you think it was worth it.
    It sounds like they might not have told you the name of the film but if you do have it, I would be interested.

• bordercolliesrule83
    9 years ago

Gail, I asked the construction superintendent for the builder who built my house specifically if using the film would void the warranty and he said it would not.

I hope you got that in writing.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm pleased. I don't know what brand of film was used.