Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slc2053_gw

Photos of painted ceilings please!

slc2053
15 years ago

I have a kitchen open to our living room...it is all one open space with 10 ft ceilings..we'll have cherry cabs (med-dark) and are debating paint colors...our countertops will be a green granite but didn't know if green on walls would be too much. To make it more difficult we want to paint our ceiling as well as we may put beams across and think it will look better if ceiling had some color on it.

Really need advice and photos of painted ceilings and what color combinations may work best.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (11)

• nhb22
    15 years ago

I have a few painted tray ceilings, but would really like to paint the ceiling in my family room because, like your room, two rooms are open to each other. This makes my 9' ceilings feel lower than they are. I feel if the ceiling was painted a lighter shade than my walls, the ceiling would look higher. DH doesn't want to paint it.

I vote that you paint your ceiling, and perhaps with those green counters, go with a goldish color on the walls and ceiling.

Below are a painted ceiling in my house, and my unpainted ceiling room. I don't want to hijack your thread, but if anyone is into Photoshop, I'd love to see a lighter wall color view on my ceiling...to show DH. :)

Bedroom

Foyer

Dining Room (I think the ceiling is too dark - why I recommend cutting the color on the ceiling)

My kitchen/Family Room

• organic_nettie
    15 years ago

Newhomebuilder

Sorry for the hi jack, but what is the granite in your kitchen?

Thanks

• nhb22
    15 years ago

New Venetian Gold

• matdrew
    15 years ago

WOW THAT HOME IS GORGEOUS!!!
    what are the colors featured , I love them!

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Thank you! There are only two colors shown. BM Decatur Buff in the foyer, family room, kitchen and master bedroom. BM Wethersfield Moss is in the dining room.

• happytobehome
    15 years ago

Another hijack, but I just love the picture in your dining room of a living room. Can you provide any info, or is it an original?

Thanks, and again, sorry for the hijack.

• terri_ks
    15 years ago

What do you do with recessed lights and speakers when you paint a ceiling? Can you paint them or are they just left white?

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

We have beams in our house. We did Restoration Hardware colors. Cappucino on the walls and Latte on the ceiling. It's subtle but warm and we thought it looked nice with the wood stain color. We kept our recessed lights and speakers white.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

happytobehome - Thank you! We loved it on first sight when we were visiting a gallery in St. Simon, Georgia (see link.) It is an original oil and the style is called architectural still life. I would love to have more of this artist paintings, but I think you can get too much of a good thing. We get so many comments on this painting.

House on Winterthur 38 x 48

The artist is Karen Lawrence of Atlanta. http://www.artshow.com/lawrence/

terri_ks - We left ours white because the trim is white. However, we were recently in a home that had painted the fixtures the color of the ceiling and it looked really good.

lindybarts - I do love your home and those kitchen cabinets.

I wonder what has become of the original poster. I feel like we have hijacked this thread big time!

Here is a link that might be useful: Artist Karen Lawrence

• happytobehome
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the info and link NHB. Interesting name -- I grew up near the DuPont estate called Winterthur, and wonder if it's the same?

Slc - re: ceilings, I'm a plain white ceiling girl myself, but mainly because I don't have high ceilings and beautiful crown molding. NHB's and Lindy's are gorgeous!

• nhb22
    15 years ago

I did a search on Winterthur in Atlanta, since the artist lives there. I came up with Winterthur Lane which has a mixture of residential and commercial. From the looks of this house (see link) the painting could have very well come from a house on Winterthur Lane.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winterthur Lane home