Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

How high should wainscoting be?

chloenkitty
9 years ago

Wainscoting is going up in my bathroom next week. Is there a rule of thumb on how far up the wall it's suppose to be perhaps because of countertop height, etc? I have seen it pretty high, like 3/4 up the wall and I don't particularly care for that. Thank you

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

I have always heard that it should be just below the countertop height That way when it meets the top, it will fit under it nicely.

Linda

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Hi,
    I made my tile wainscot just a bit higher than where the towel bars would be, and at the right height for the medicine cabinet mirror door to be. It was about 42".

• User
    9 years ago

OMG, Sombreuil, what an AWESOME bathroom!

the height of Sombreuil's tile wainscoting allows it to also be used as a backsplash. Maybe something to consider, CNK.

Why not Google bathroom wainscoting and look at pics of different heights?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I like the way Sombreuil's looks. Ours were higher than the sinks (nice having the tiled area around them, so no worries about splashed water). Ours were about 54" IIRC.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

I was thinking 3 1/2-4 feet. From the looks of sombreuil, yep!

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

We have bathroom tile going up high..it's at 48" on all the walls and to the ceiling for the bath/shower combo. Weren't following a design rule, but since it's a bathroom mostly used by two boys, 5 and 9, and I already knew what issues we were having with them and cleanliness (and water everywhere) it was more of a practical choice.

Small bathroom, if it's even HALF as amazing as sombreuil_mongrel's bathroom (droooooooool)...whether or not it was a good choice from a decor perspective, the bathroom is small and no helping that. So be small, functional, and durable...hopefully the tiles are more timeless than trendy (white...can you gro wrong with white?)

This post was edited by melle_sacto on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 12:09

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Like melle sacto we have 2 boys and when they were younger, a tile wainscoting was imperative. Ours was 6" above the counter.

sombreuil mongrel: Your bathroom is gorgeous. Is the sink alcove original to the house?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Wow, I'm feeling the love!
    No, I created the arch and alcove; the bathroom was a little bit cramped before recessing the sink. I was able to appropriate the space when I deleted the back stairs. I also got a walk-in closet out of the deal.
    Casey

• mary_lu_gw
    9 years ago

Casey, did you purchase the sink new? If so, would you mind sharing the info? We need to replace our bathroom sink and your sink would be perfect!

• mary_lu_gw
    9 years ago

Casey, did you purchase the sink new? If so, would you mind sharing the info? We need to replace our bathroom sink and your sink would be perfect!

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Casey, just WOW. Your bathroom is FANTASTIC.

We have wainscot in two baths, ended up at ~42" in one, dictated by height of shower pony wall and ~45" in another, dictated by height of integral backsplash in the sink.

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

Great discussion! We were just discussing the wainscot height with our tile installer. I will re-read all these posts before deciding.

Sombreuil - love your bathroom and especially the medicine cabinet; can you share where you found that?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Medicine cabinet was a stock item at Home Despot for quite a few years. Pegasus house brand of HD.
    Sink is by St Thomas Creations: http://www.wayfair.com/St-Thomas-Creations-Nouveau-Console-Bathroom-Sink-5010.680.01-STC1172.html
    I don't think I paid that much; in '08 it was about $975.00
    Casey

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Mine is 40" O.F.F.

Glad Casey had an excuse to post that stunning bathroom.

ETA: make sure your desired height doesn't run right into your light switches.

This post was edited by marcolo on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 12:04