Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Hunter Douglas worth its name?

aliris19
12 years ago

I've been living with an arc lamp shining in our windows for over a year and really just plain ignoring the neighbors about 4 feet from our bathroom. Probably I should try to address these problems, but the whole issue of "window treatments" absolutely makes me shut down. It's like a joke, turning the covering of windows into a discipline.

OT already: sorry.

So Costco was running a special for Hunter Douglas window treatments and I conceded for a 'designer' to grace our mess. First Time Ever. She was very nice and at least as distracted by life as I. And her wares are mind-bogglingly expensive. At Home Depot I was literally pounced upon by someone who wanted to sign me up for *their* designer's home-visit: Do I have a sign around my neck: "Send Costly Salesmen Now"?

Can the Hunter Douglas (HD) name brand shades possibly be worth it?

I gather HD no longer sells to random schlubs via internet; you are compelled to use a Designer. And presumably this accounts for the markup.

Does anything else contribute to the huge price tag? Like, say, quality?

There seem to be an awful lot of blinds on the internet market, are they any of them equal or better in quality to HD?

Thanks, oh kitchen mavens -- plus others, I'm not trying to diss you whose names I don't know...

Comments (36)

• graywings123
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I prefer to buy blinds without the assistance of a consultant, so no more Hunter Douglas for me, but it makes great products. HD sent me free replacement parts for 12 year old cellular blinds.

For a blind that gets a lot of use, the higher priced lines might be the way to go. For a blind that mostly just sits there, you might consider other options. In my experience, the pricier blinds seem to work more smoothly than the lesser priced ones.

• mom270
    12 years ago

I bought some Hunter Douglas vertical blinds for my patio doors and mini-blinds for a front window. Happy with both. The vertical blinds have a fabric (lots of choices there). They look very nice and work well. They gave me one spare panel in case I need to replace one. I can't compare them to any other brand since my other windows have shades on them, but I am happy with my HD blinds.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

For verticals I don't know if I'd spend the money unless I wanted a material that's exclusive to them. I have ultra cheap verticals and they're absolutely fine. I can always have them replace the slats for a minimal charge, if they get wrecked, but after 6 years of FL western sun they're still going strong.

For cellular shades, I do think it's worth it to go for quality.

• dancingqueengw
    12 years ago

I had to replace 7 blinds in my family room kitchen area. I did not pick Hunter Douglas - which was what I had before due to cost. It was not the best decision. The color I picked is fine but the movement mechanism is no where near the HD quality.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, all. Sounds like the markup isn't completely devoid of value but it's a large markup requiring careful consideration, worth it more in some locations than others.

sigh.

I want an easy answer! Not meaning to sound ungrateful ... thanks.

• ww340
    12 years ago

I am in a similar dilemma. I have an interior designer making drapes and roman shades. Then my husband decided he wanted something motorized. She said we couldn't motorize the ones she was making, but Hunter Douglas has some that could be motorized.

The price is 3 times as much as the custom made roman shades, but that does include the motorization.

We were told however, that Hunter Douglas has stood by their product better than any company she knew. She said they even took care of problems on a 15 year old blind.

• chispa
    12 years ago

My parents and I have used HD for about 15 years. My father has had HD send him parts for older blinds. If the problem is more involved HD will pay a local HD distributor to repair the blinds.

I'm in CA now and needed new blinds for the whole house. I went to the nearest HD Gallery store and their price was ridiculous. I bought from a NJ store that my parents had been buying from for many years. The prices at the NJ store were close to half of the CA store.

You used to be able to order online and HD would then drop-ship. HD will not drop-ship anymore to protect their local distributors. You can still order from an out of state store, but the product will be shipped to the store and they would then have to re-ship to you.

I was able to get my product drop-shipped because my family is a long time customer of the NJ store and we are grandfathered with the old rules. Shop around the HD stores within 50 miles of your house. Get bids and then ask them for a better price. Each store can set their own price and they do have a fair profit built in.

• texanjana
    12 years ago

No. PO of our home installed all HD in the home. They only lived here 18 months and got transferred. After a few years of us living here, almost every HD blind failed in some way-the cellular shades string broke and could not be repaired, etc. I would never buy their products.

• jab65
    12 years ago

No blinds here, but I have cordless cellular shades from Pennys that work very well. We had to get the cords for the windows that are 9 -12' high. We don't open and close those real often, but they work smoothly. You can get very good prices when they have their "Super" sales. I originally wanted the motorized but couldn't justify doubling the cost.

• annzgw
    12 years ago

I have HD, Bali, Comfortex and I think M&W blinds/shades in my home. I find all have good mechanisms but I like the Bali and Comfortex cords (on blinds) best.
    I buy based on which brand has the color and design I'm looking for. Unless you're raising and lowering the blinds every day I doubt you need to go with the high end brand. You mentioned you're looking for shades, something that is much lighter in weight, so I think you can look beyond HD.

HD does sell online. Could part of the markup you're seeing be installation costs?

• Mom2BoysWisconsin
    12 years ago

Like "Annz", I like Bali blinds. They are reasonably priced, not as high as HD and the mechanisms work very well. Bali will send you free swaches and they have a virtual decorator that lets you try the different options with your room colors (floor, furniture, wall, accessories). It's kind of fun to play around with! Penney's has great sales on Bali all the time. You can watch for that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bali Virtual Decorator

• aliris19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dancingqueen -- would you mind sharing what brand you did go with that wasn't equivalent quality to HD? Some have mentioned Bali ... was it that by chance?

Chispa -- what a story, what a situation. Annz, it is stated online that sometime last summer or maybe the summer before, HD made a conscious decision to cease online selling. There's quite a bit of chatter about it but it does seem to be the case. I haven't found an online site for HD. If anyone knows of one I'd sure love to hear of it. Chispa, do you suppose your NJ store would be willing to interact with a non-grandfathered remote customer?

Because let me just "share" with you the results of my meetings with two HD designers. Like graywings, I couldn't begin to conceive of using a designer for such things. My former next door neighbor was actually a "window treatments" designer and I confess to thinking that was the most made-up profession conceivable. He was always out there with a spray can "distressing" things -- honestly. I distress stuff all on my own very nicely. It's just one of those "whatever"... things. I've learned, I guess, to get with the modern program. And I desperately miss them - they were great neighbors, spray can or not!

Anyway, I have a whole house to deal with but to try to cut the problem down to size, 3 bedrooms are a critical problem and 2 bathrooms. For my own sake, I will summarize:

A set of three bay windows in 2 of the bedrooms want room blackening treatment, probably. In addition there are 5 more windows set for room darkening in one bedroom; the other's windows will be OK as-is. The third BR has a large picture window and door that need blackening and 2 largish side windows that need darkening. The bathrooms want fauxwood: easy.

Designer #1 (D1) sent via costco sent 6 estimates including substantially more windows and of greater quality than those recommended by designer #2 (D2), from Home Despot. D2's numbers range from $4336 - $4679 for 16 items. D1's range from $4659 - $9032 for 25 items.

So OK, Costco's probably cheaper - no huge surprise there. But honestly, this figures are nothing short of shocking. How could anyone really contemplate spending that? On just part of the house???? I know I'm out of it, but really....

WImom - thanks for the Bali link. I've been playing with that and agree it's fun! I'll send for some swatches. Several people above mentioned liking the Balis.

My shades will be going up and down every day. And ... am I using the word "shade" correctly? I don't know this lingo. I mean what's being termed "cellular" shade, I think. I used to have blackout drapes that worked fine; I'm not sure if they could be made to work for a bay window though.

Thank you so so much for your help! I'd really appreciate hearing your experience with Bali shades as that sounds a cost-effective, functional alternative. Or any ideas to acquire HD shades for less than highway-robbery prices. I'm willing to use a screwdriver (on the shades, not the rep, though I suppose that could be a possibility perhaps).

• dancingqueengw
    12 years ago

Aliris 19:

I went with Levalour blinds. I do not like their up and down mechanism. I also disliked their cord holder as it stuck out quite far into the window. I have the continuous loop style. I replaced that with my old flat HD holders which at least take up less space on the side of the window frame. Good luck!

• dalmadarling
    12 years ago

I have Hunter Douglas blinds in my kitchen, living room and guest room and I'm very happy with them. We didn't have to have a special "consultant" but did have someone come out (free of charge) to measure our windows to ensure the proper fit. I am very happy with them and would definitely recommend them. I admit, they were not cheap but we want to keep them for a long time so I'm glad we went with that brand.

• maryshannon
    11 years ago

I have been selling Window Coverings for over 17 years. Since we support what we sell, I know what works and what doesn't. Hunter Douglas is most definitely worth the extra money. The least amount of problems, the best product support from the company, and the things last the best. Unless you have food fights in your house, your 20 year old shades will likely look as good as new ones in terms of wear and tear. And you should not be required to use a designer. As someone else mentioned, there should be free measuring which you should take advantage of, to get the perfect fit. Also, a sales person may help if the product you have fallen in love with may not accomplish what you want it to. No one wants a disappointed customer, so we try to make you aware of everything you might not have considered so you can make and informed choice.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very helpful, MaryShannon - thank you! I still haven't pulled a trigger on anything in my house. I'm thinking I will go to my grave before these windows get covered....

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I doubt it! We used Bali blinds from Steve's Blinds (cellular) in our loft condo. They were motorized and worked great, nice quality - and MUCH cheaper!

• justsaying
    11 years ago

I ordered the Bali cellular shades from Steve's Blinds also and we love them. Steve's had the best price and I kept googling Steve's coupons and every one of them worked with my order! By the time I was done I think I had used 4 coupons. I ordered 6 blinds (windows are 35" x 52") and I ended up paying $83 each, which I thought was a good deal (got 3/8" double cell). Steve's also had a free cordless upgrade which we like for the clean look. BTW, I also went into Home Depot and the salesperson pounced on me to have a Hunter Douglas come to my home - free of charge! Well, the Hunter Douglas rep called me first and basically told me how $$ it was going to be (something like $400 per blind!) and if I wasn't comfortable with that then, oh well, she wasn't coming to my house. So, oh well, "goodbye." What I love about the Bali cellular shades is how you can "smush" them and they go right back into shape and they are so soft - not papery like some others. I used to have 2" faux wooden blinds in a previous house and they were a real pain to clean (forced air heat-very dusty), although I did love the look. Some of the internet companies even guarantee remaking the shade if you make a mistake measuring. I'm no wizard at this kind of thing but they look great! I'm waiting for one of the internet companies to offer free cordless upgrade on Bali so I can complete the bedrooms.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

In our last house, we wanted room darkening shades for the MBR. I was using a decorator and she had me choose from a HD book. I didn't really give it much thought, they are "just" blinds.

I was so surprised by the cost, and this was for 9 windows (MBR and adjoining dressing room). Yes, they are good quality. But i didn't think they were worth it and I didn't like the way they looked either. I think most blinds are pretty ugly no matter what you do ... JMHO

If I had to do it over again I would buy cheaper ones and change them once in a while

• hellonasty
    11 years ago

DH and I have been living in our house 15 years now. We have had the same crappy plastic blinds since the day we moved in. They're dusty, many of them are totally broken and don't go up anymore, they're just a disgusting mess and they need to go.

We just ordered HD wood blinds for 10 windows, and faux wood for the kitchen window. We're going thru a small local shop with a lovely salesman and I couldn't be happier or more excited. Looked at other brands, liked the HD best. All the money we have saved over 15 years living with the crap that the house came with warrants this cost at this time.

I decided to go with the tilt WAND as opposed to the string. I don't know, I just didn't like the thought of having two strings hanging down. Even though the salesman said he loves the tilt string. Any other opinions on this from anyone? I'm still glad I went with the wand.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I have Hunter Douglas, Comfortex, & Budget Blinds in my home and the mechanisms on the blinds I chose from Hunter Douglas are the best and I got a good price from a small store about 1 hour North of me that came and measured and installed the blinds at a much better price than Costco or other local places near the expensive area I live in. He also installed Comfortex blinds for me. I had a local shop install several years ago Soft Vertical Blinds by Hunter Douglas with the wand and I love them in my kitchen with my dogs. I love the blackout Linen blinds with a honeycomb inside a honeycomb in my bedroom that have a retractable cord with the top up and bottom down feature. I really hate the Budget Blinds so much with the very long cords with the top up and bottom down feature in my home office. They were my first blinds I bought for my home and I did not realize why the Hunter Douglas cost more and I wish I went with the Hunter Douglas Cordless or the retractable cord. I hate the long strings so much. I went with the cheaper Comfortex honeycomb blinds in my two spare rooms as I usually have the blinds down or all the way up and did not need any fancy features. I heard Bali blinds were nice also. I wish I went with cordless blinds with a single bigger honeycomb for light rather than the double smaller honeycomb with the top up and bottom down features in my home office.

• Joni Cioffi
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The previous owner of our home installed corded Hunter Douglas honeycomb 3/8" blinds that are beautiful. So now they are at least 16 years plus. Never had a problem with them and I am now beginning to replace them because they are greying and one ripped. I recommend them if they are in your budget.

• amj0517
    8 years ago

I used selectblinds.com in my last two homes. Much better price than HD and I've been very happy with the product. No complaints!

• plan2remodel
    8 years ago

I've been shopping for window treatment and have been frustrated by the process. At this point, I don't know whether to pursue Hunter Douglas or some other company.

I started with a local retailer who carries Hunter Douglas products in their showroom. They sent someone to my house to measure my windows. After he arrived, he told me there was a $75 charge for measuring, which would be applied toward any purchases for WT. He was not a decorator, just someone with a measuring tape.

When I returned to the store, I found out that he had measured incorrectly - I have three adjacent windows in the living room that he measured as a single window. The decorator at the store gave me a quote, but said I would need to have the three windows re-measured.

Next I made an appointment with JC Penny's. No one showed up. I called; they apologized; made a 2nd appointment; no one showed up.

Then I hired a shutter company to make wood shutters for the living room windows, but I still need WT in the bedroom.

Last week, when I was looking at the HD website online, a [computer] window popped up offering me an in-home consultation by a local designer. Although the designer is local, the store she represents is 1000 miles away. It seems that each store that sells HD products has their own pricing and can hire representatives in other areas.

I've been vacillating on what type of WT I want - designer roller shades, honeycomb shades, Roman shades, sheers, drapes. I was hoping to have a designer who understands their products help me choose which products would best meet my needs.

For those of you who have purchased shades or blinds, did you have a designer come to the house to help you choose? Was it helpful? Or did you choose on your own? What about measuring? Did you measure yourself or have someone else measure?

• delawarebessie
    8 years ago

I am in the process of buying window treatments from a new home. I previously had Pella windows with the shades so haven't bought a blind/shade for 32 years and I am a little overwhelmed. I have finally decided that I would like sheer shadings for two of my rooms. HD is too expensive. I am comparing other brands - Shangrala, Comfortex and Steve's Blinds Brand. Price for just one of the windows ranges from about $500 to over $700 depending on the brand. Any advice on which brand is best or what I should be aware of when purchasing horizontal sheers?

• elizabeth_vastbinder
    7 years ago

Yes, spending the money and having custom blinds are well wo the the money. I have room darkening shades in my bedroom and guests that stay marvel at how efficient they are .

I had the blinds put through my entire home, they will help with energy costs and they look great for years. I have had mine for 14 years and with a little maintenance they look as great as the day they went in!!

• Joel K
    6 years ago
    The Hunter Douglas lifetime warranty is worthless. Once they stop making parts for your shades, they no longer have a warranty. If they want to say 10 or 12 or 15 year warranty, fine, but they should have never used the word lifetime. We have a broken cord on some Nantucket shades bought through a licensed dealer, and HD will not honor the warranty. They don't make these parts any more.
  • dutchmon2
    6 years ago

I agree with Joel, when I called on some older blinds, they stated that there was only a seven year warranty on the blinds. When I mentioned that they had a lifetime warranty, they stated they they couldn’t get parts and my blinds were subject to wear and tear, this were excluded from any warranty. So, what could possibly be covered in a lifetime warranty? Absolutely NOTHING. I’ve spent thousands of dollars on their blinds and will never spend another dime with their company. I am quite sure that there are products that are as good or better for far less cost. Happy shopping!

• Dean
    5 years ago

Lowe’s sells Hunter Douglas under the brand name Allen & Roth. I priced HD at $9200 and Allen & Roth at $5400. When the delivery truck robot call alerted me to the “30 minute window” the recording said “The HD truck is 30 minutes away”. The installer confirmed the A&R blinds were in fact manufactured by HD. I saved almost $4000 and couldn’t be happier.

• HU-892182311
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I bought two Hunter Douglas Applause blinds with the cord lock mechanism. The blinds did not release to the windowsill so the store came out and installed weights. Now the blinds are enormously heavy to raise. About twice the force is needed to raise them as the Kay and Kay Carousel blinds that have been here for 25 years. Another installer said weights are there only to solve a problem and will likely be cause to void any warranty. Hunter Douglas toll free support gave me an unlikely song and dance - the fabric must stretch out - The window was improperly measured etc etc. Finally after some research and more 'discussion' with the store owner he honorably gave me a full refund. The blinds have excessive friction (they are binding somewhere) and will wear out prematurely. They are defective

• Jon Haack
    5 years ago
    I have a two story house and installed SelectBlinds downstairs within the last year. Aluminum, 1", inexpensive, VERY happy with them. I ordered again for the upstairs and FedEx says the shipper is Hunter Douglas! Hmmmm.
  • PRO
    Gordon's Window Decor
    5 years ago

We manufacture our own cellular shades and also sell HD. Hunter Douglas is well-known brand, for sure. And some of our clients are super loyal to HD.

But I have to say our made in Vermont EcoSmart Shades stack up VERY well to HD honeycombs.

Moose Meadow Lodge · More Info

We like to have something for every price point and every need.

• DLM2000-GW
    5 years ago

Recent research on woven wood shades had Hunter Douglas at over twice the cost of Bali and Graber with as close to an apples to apples comparison as possible. Allen and Roth is very tempting but I believe their warranty it's not as robust - could be wrong, don't quote me. Window treatments are a large investment especially in a new build or whole house re-do and there has to be a balance between style quality and price. It's tough to do.

• Janice Pellecchia
    4 years ago

budget blinds sells knock off hunter douglas blinds which hunter douglas owns. they send a person out that measures and installs for 99 dollars. the warranty includes 5 years, maybe 7 but offers a lifetime free replacement no questions asked for EACH blind. my guy showed me hanging options that saved me tons of money! example, using one blind over 3 windows in an area it looked fine to do! also, a side stack is "upgrade" for many patio doors. with his version of HD, it is less to side stack. i compared to On line, 3 day, costco of graber...this warranty is good and better than others. the product reflects and allows patented styles of HD. like luminette. i have a limits on colors it seems. so this line is enlightened style. Yelp reviews are awesome for budget blinds. basically, I am getting luminette and silhouette knock off blinds that tax installed 5200.00. This at the drapery store that sells hunter douglas is about 9800 with tax. my decorator told me that this drapery store was 30 less than j penny for her clients. My bottom line truth is that budget blinds offers a value that includes a person, a warranty and look for half the cost and is slightly less or more than doing the online measure yourself. hope this helps. lord knows i did the work to figure this out. fyi, 3 day has a bit pushy style but they seem to have a rollershade option that prices out well if you like their valance which to many looks better than cassette valance.

• boomerchase
    last year

The other brands that above are mentioned to be made by HD are indeed…but…in their plant in Mexico Lesser quality fabrics, sloppy glues, plastic instead of metal for some parts etc but nonetheless cheaper if thats the priority