Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Punch List help-Please!

neetsiepie
9 years ago

In the cold weather months, I get antsy and like to work on indoor reno projects. I'm putting together my lists and need some input/advice.

My house does not have an open layout, but due to an addition by the PO, you can see thru from the front to the back. The living room and dining rooms share a common wall that and they open on to an east/west running hallway. I liken the hallway to the hub on a wheel, in that from that room you can see into almost all the other rooms.

For some reason, we painted all these rooms in different, non-complementary colors and I'm finally tired of it and ready to bring it all into one cohesive palette (below).

The dining room will be getting the orange shade on the walls (currently deep red). The living room will be going from similar to the light aqua on the inspo pic walls to a creamy white-but will retain the aqua color in the sofa and some of the furniture. The hall way is going to be painted in a lighter shade of the aqua on the butterfly pillow. The library (what used to be a bedroom but was opened up to access the addition to the back of the house, where the family room and a bedroom are located) is panelled in gorgeously patina'd redwood-that will remain, and the family room has recently been painted in complementary green tones with aqua accents.

So here is where i can use your advice/input-room by room.

Living room-as noted, the sofa is aqua, but the walls will be painted a creamy ivory. The FP brick, mantle and all trim in the room are going to be painted white. I'm also going to paint the floor (HW oak that cannot be refinished) white with a taupe/bisque checkerboard pattern. I have a china cabinet, a glass topped coffee table & end table and two cane backed side chairs that need to be painted. I'm leaning toward aqua for the china cabinet and white for the tables. The chairs I'm thinking black with fabric seats similar to the print in the inspo pic. No WT in this room, but I will be adding new pillows.

The hall I'm leaning toward the pale aqua-but this room is where I need the most help. There are doors on either end, and a broom closet, a storage closet and linen closet with doors. I have black bookcases, shelf, mirror and picture frames in there, and those will remain. (I use a lot of black as accents thru out the house). We're also putting in new floor molding in the hall. The two bedroom doors and the closet doors are all solid slab type-how should they be painted? Same color as the walls? What about the trim molding around the bedroom doors? And the new floor molding? Currently all the molding is painted the wall color-except for the molding around the 5' open doorway that leads to the library. (this is the only framed opening in that hallway-the others are just finished plaster).

That leads me to another question-should we trim out the other openings that lead to the hall? The common wall between the DR and LR, the DR and hall, and the LR and hall-they all join to a header between the LR/Hall and DR/Hall in a weird configuration. Currently the 'common' 5" finished wall ends (3 of them) are all painted the hall color. I just picked up some vintage columns that we're considering adding to those common wall ends that could tie them all together with one consistent color (white trim).

Library- the only thing I'm planning to do here is paint the back walls of the bookcases-do I go with the orange, the aqua or lime green?

I can post pix of the rooms/furniture if requested, but I'm just trying to get some ideas for now. I plan to start on the hall the first part of November-and am considering that to be my jump off point. We have to finish up the last part of our front yard landscaping reno before the rains start in for the season. We had planned to put the new roof on the house this summer, but that will wait till next year (and that will start a whole new batch of questions-we were considering green shingles, but now we can pick any color since we didn't buy the green ones while we had the chance). But I'm always two steps ahead in my planning and I like to get started when I have a free couple of hours.

Here's my color palatte inspiration

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm