Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomtrek

Help me choose the right color for a sofa

tomtrek
10 years ago

In the process of buying Amish style sofa, with solid sides, not slats; the wood is an obvious feature. Cherry wood with a reddish tone to the finish. Decided on leather for the cushions. Considering a cream color. Thus, could add any color pillows, rugs. What are your thoughts on a light color leather for a sofa and chair?

Comments (23)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I think the contrast may be too great and would prefer to see something in a deeper tone to blend with the cherry wood color. There are other deeper colors which act as neutral as cream would like brown, gray, tan, navy, black and even some greens or reds. I'd look on line at wood and leather sofas to get some ideas of how the finished product might look.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I attached a photo of the wood with the finish.

I wish I could attach more than one image.

So, cream is too light, I see your point. So, gray or tan, I lean toward gray, just wonder if gray will be depressing, remind of the gray days back home. I don't want the furniture to be the accent in the room, I want furniture that blends in.

Is burgundy too dark? How about gray leather for the sofa and burgundy leather for the chair?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

It's hard to say as I have so little info. What look are you going for? More contemporary? More rustic? What other colors are going on in the room? What shade of gray, dark or light? It might be helpful if you could post a pic of the chair and sofa....

If you want to be on the safe side, then go with a brown leather for both, or a burgundy for a more classic look.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the web page image of the sofa. I'll post a photo of the gray I have in mind. I must admit though that I like the burgundy, I just wonder if that would blend too much and make the room seem dark. it is a small space and the only light is from the bay window in the space next to this area, and a sliding door with a curtain over it.

I am not sure of the look i want, I tend to like art deco rugs, but when I took an online test to determine my taste in style i like mountain lodge but I like craftsman style furniture; simple lines and handsome woods. When I look at lamps I like some traditional and some transitional. I want a subdued look, with gentle colors that are easy on the eyes and mood.

I like blue and orange, but would not want to mix them.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the gray. I wish I could see it on the sofa before I ask to have the sofa finished with this.

Sofa in gray and chair in burgundy?

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the burgundy leather

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I'd do the burgundy in a heartbeat. It's gorgeous.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the burgundy leather with that sofa; anything lighter is too much contrast.

What color pillows? Should the pillows be leather also?

This post was edited by tomtrek on Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 15:29

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like this blue, does it coordinate with wood?

{{!gwi}}

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

The burgundy is beautiful. I have always been a sucker for burgundy leather.

• maggieq
    10 years ago

Burgundy on both sofa and chair.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Definitely the burgandy.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Burgundy seems to have the votes, but I want to give blue a change to show himself.

I'm thinking of a blue leather for the sofa and orange leather for the chair.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

For me, the burgundy will be too much dark on dark...red on red. I think you would want the wood to be featured, otherwise why not just buy a regular fabric sofa? Therefore, cushions with at least some contrast will look better IMO.

Is the same place supplying the cushions? I think you just have to look at all their samples up against the wood stain you have chosen. I would do both pieces the same.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is my thought also. I appreciate your thought on showing the wood; I paid for no reason to hide it.

I looked online for how to decorate with both a burgundy and blue sofa and analyzed my reactions; I like the 'feel' of the blue.

Just to add something I experimented with an orange chair. Orange and blue are my favorite colors, opposite on the color wheel.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Can you take a picture of your room? If not, what color is the floor? If your floors are dark then getting dark cushions will further darken the room. If the floors are light, then having dark cushions would be fine.

As far as my color preference, I like the blue, as long as it's a dark blue. I love dark blue leather. Burgandy is nice too.

For throw pillows, it all depends on your accent colors. I wouldn't worry about the pillows just yet, get your sofa first then think about the pillow colors.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

carpet is dark brown. which brings up the issue of putting a rug o top of a carpet. I want some color on the floor and to define the space.

• jesshs
    10 years ago

Personally I would not do an orange leather chair. I would bring in orange in pillows and lamps and other accessories.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ah ok, that would be much better. is the blue chose a good combination with the wood finish?

• doodledog_gw
    10 years ago

I have a burgundy leather sofa and it's a major pain to decorate around it. I'd recommend something more neutral - black or brown and add color with pillows.

• User
    10 years ago

I think the blue leather will look good with the wood.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Yes, the blue is beautiful with that wood. You can do as you've shown with an area rug to brighten the space and keep the brown from overpowering the wood and leather. I personally would never pick a black or brown leather sofa with that beautiful wood. I like the orange chair, but would probably select blue for it and bring in a second chair in an entirely different but complementary style, in a print incorporating blue and another color (orange if you like, or green, or ?). That leather does not look like a light sucking blue, but one that would make the room vibrant without being too bright.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, I am going with blue; now to choose the right blue.

This post was edited by tomtrek on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 22:26