Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdelasewell

Help with remodel please!

jdelasewell
9 years ago

Hello everyone! We bought a mid-century modern home in Long Beach, CA last year and are looking to remodel it in a more contemporary way. I've attached a picture of the existing home and then some photoshop renderings of what we want it to look like. We are thinking of covering the existing block wall with horizontal planks of ipe wood. and building a 4' fence around the front courtyard. Just curious what paint colors everyone thinks works best. At first, i thought the pale oak was the way to go, but kinda digging the pop of the blue or graphite instead? What does everyone think? If you have any other suggestions/feedback, please let me know!

Comments (13)

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

I grew up in a mid-century home in So Cal that was the graphite gray with black trim. I adored those colors as a child, but my mom hated it and convinced my dad to close in the front porch and stucco the whole thing so it became a generic San Fernando Valley post-war bungalow.

My choice for you home is the graphite (with black rather than white!)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I like the graphite but without the white garage door....paint the garage door one of the shades of gray so it blends in..it should not be a focal point. Second choice is the pale oak, but darker...the part that is off white should be the sand color of the garage door and the trim darker than that.

Are you in east LB? That is where I grew up and your house reminds me of some of my friends' houses. The older I get the more I miss home!

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Cool house! I actually like the existing block wall, I have to say

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Very cool transformation! I would go with the graphite.

• rgps
    9 years ago

I also really like the existing block wall. Nice texture and goes with the house just needs a different color. Graphite color scheme very nice

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Oh yes, on second look I'd keep the block wall as well..very cool.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Graphite with a dark trim and graphite for the garage door.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    9 years ago

Keep the block wall. Paint the rest blue with off white trim.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Keep the wall. A darker main body. And it needs some avacado green somewhere. Maybe the section of the home where the door is? There's not much of it that shows beyond the fence.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I, too, like the block wall. See below to houses on Palm Springs Modernism Week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modernism Week

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

The Ipe looks great in your rendering and it will look like that when it's first installed. Ipe needs to be oiled regularly or it will turn grey. It is a high maintenance choice.

I have an Ipe porch and I envisioned merely wiping down the porch annually. In reality, the steps which are more exposed to the weather than the covered porch floor, needs to be sanded down. It's a big job. My hubby can do it himself, but it's hard work.

Consider the maintenance factor before you decide. Good luck.

• jdelasewell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for all your suggestions! I know that the block wall is very mid-century modern cool and hip... but it's just not my style. The wood fence is much more us! I think it's a hands down winner for Graphite! And I agree @GreenDesigns, we ordered some green chairs for the courtyard and i'm so excited about them! I would love to paint the door, but we bought this gorgeous mahogany door and its so beautiful that it seems like a shame to paint it! JoaniePoanie, i love your suggestion to do the garage door in a lighter grey... thanks! And yes, this is east long beach... we live in a neighborhood lovingly referred to as "the hole!" Thanks again everyone and i will post a pic when we are done!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Graphite, hands down.