Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
athomewith3

DIY Beadboard Kitchen Island

athomewith3
15 years ago

DH and i finally got around to finishing off our kitchen island. Well, it's not 100% finished yet, we are still going to frame out the bead board and possibly do corbel's on the corner of the island to give it a furniture look. Here are some before and after pics.....

Before......

{{!gwi}}

During....

{{!gwi}}

After...

{{!gwi}}

Closeup....

{{!gwi}}

And my fun little Pottery Barn Outlet lamp i picked up for $40 *regularly $100

Comments (22)

• onedog3cats
    15 years ago

Looks GREAT!! I love your kitchen. What color is your granite? Love the lamp too...what a great deal!

• User
    15 years ago

Love it! Your granite is georgeous and adding the beadboard was just the right touch to tie in your shutters. The lamp is outstanding and the Autumn display on the sideboard is a nice touch. Well done!

• dixiedo
    15 years ago

I love the beadboard added to you island, it looks so warm, and it adds alot of character!!

..... BUT, the white looks a little bit stark compared to the softer hues in your kitchen. Would you consider painting it a softer beige or even green like your walls?? I wonder if someone would photoshop those options for you.

PS. Great lamp!

• denali2007
    15 years ago

Kitchen looks great and the beaddoard adds a nice touch. Love the barstools.

Can you tell me how you did the outside corners of the beadboard. How did you trim them out?

• athomewith3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Onedog3cats, our granite is juprana columbo gold. We have had it for over 4 years and still love looking at it.

dixiedo, actually, the island is a creamy white and is a bit darker than the shutters but unfortunately my camera isn't capturing it.

denali, we used beadboard slats and started at one corner and worked our to each corner and worked out pretty well for us. We are basically going to get 4inch baseboard and trim the bottom out and then frame the 3 sides with 3 inch trim on the sides and under the granite. I will post a pic when we are completely finished.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I love the new look the beadboard gives your kitchen. It was lovely before, but very monochromatic with the island the same as all your cabs. BTW, that granite is gorgeous!
    Lynn

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

You've added just enough to the mix to make this already lovely kitchen really shine, I think! I covered our island with beadboard a few months ago, it's about the same size as yours, and I love how it looks! Your kitchen is really warm and inviting and I absolutely love your countertops!

• ccat
    15 years ago

I think the white pulls together with the shutters on the window and door, plus the white crown moulding. It is a very warm kitchen! I love it! I would go with the brown stools.

Must ask, where did you get your shutters? They are too cute!

Great job! Beautiful kitchen!

ccat

• nhb22
    15 years ago

athomewith3 - I am glad to read that you plan to add base at the bottom of the island. I would suggest that you satin it (or at least some quarter round) to tie in with the rest of your cabinets.

• natsis
    15 years ago

athomewith3 - if you are still out there... Any chance I could see photos of how you trimmed the front corners and near the toe kick? I'm thinking of borrowing this idea to cover the back and sides of Ikea cabinets but I'm not quite sure how to finish the front edges on the side with the drawers. I think yours turned out great.

J.

• cg16
    15 years ago

I have been researching this a lot on the internet...unfortunately only your "before" photo is shown here. would you please repost the "after" photos? Thank you so much.

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

cg16 - I found her photo by clicking on that very first photo in this thread and going to her album. Here's the updated island.

• cg16
    15 years ago

Thank you so much! It's gorgeous!

• penelope_mo
    15 years ago

That is exactly what I am going to do to my kitchen island!
    You said that you used "beadboard panels." I have seen the 4x8 beadboard sheets - is that the same thing? And where did you get the beadboard? Is it masonite or is it wood? Thank you for any help you can give me. Your kitchen is beautiful!

• athomewith3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi guys, haven't checked in here in a while so thought i would see what was going on. Glad all of you like the island. I am very happy with DH's first try at slat beadboard.

Penelope mo, you can actually get beadboard SLATS at most home improvement/lumbar stores. We got ours from Ganahl Lumber. They are basically tongue and groove so they butt up nicely to one another.

Natsis, Funny you should ask about the front, near the toe kick. DH hasn't put the toe kick back up but i will still snap a shot tomorrow, if you are still interested.

• penelope_mo
    15 years ago

Thanks for the answer about the slats. I actually found them at Home Depot a couple of days after that. One more question - how did you attach the slats to the island? Did you use nails or glue? Thanks for your help.
    Penny

• natsis
    15 years ago

Hi athomewith3,
    Well we are slow enough with our project that we haven't gotten to the bead board around the island yet. I'm still uncertain how we will trim it out so I would love to see how you finished it off.
    Thanks for checking back in. I just happened upon your post today!

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

I too am curious how you attach the beadboard.
    Looks great. Wonderful transformation!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Wow, it looks great.

• athomewith3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi guys, thanks for the compliments on the island. Sorry i never got back to taking a picture of the front part of the island but our camera DIED!!! I hope to take a picture tomorrow with our new camera!!!

Not sure if all of you know the history of us doing a DIY Beadboard island but when we originally had the kitchen remodeled 5 years ago we were trying to budget and to finish off the island with cabinet paneling it would have added alot more to our costs so decided to just go with the plane ol' paneling to match the cabinets. We decided to finally get a quote of what someone would charge to beadboard and paint the front part of the island an off white color. We got some estimates and got an average quote of $1500. DH said "NO WAY are we paying that much, we can DO IT OURSELVES". So off we went to Ganahl Lumber and found the slated beadboard, bought a new brad nailer and got to work.

We figured out our surface area we needed to cover and cut the slats to 36 inches (height of our island). We used BOTH glue and nails to attach the beadboard to the island. This came at the advice of the friendly associate at Ganahl. DH and i finished the top and bottom with a decorative molding we both agreed on and used corner molding to easily finish off the corners and found trim that was about an inch wider than the moulding to place behind the moulding in order to rest the corner pieces on seemlessly.

I tried taking a pic with our old camera tonight but it is coming out a little dark so i will snap a shot with the new camera tomorrow.

• penelope_mo
    15 years ago

Thank you for the information on how to attach the beadboard. Looking forward to your new pictures!
    Penny

• athomewith3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are a couple close ups. Still trying to get my camera adjusted so sorry if the coloring is off. BTW DH finished of the ends with a 45 degree angle.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}