Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bergiesgirl

Shower floor tile? (X-post bathroom)

bergiesgirl
10 years ago

Sorry for cross posting, but didn't get much of a response in the bathroom forum. So, we have abandoned trying to find a contractor and I just get to focus on the fun part of picking and buying materials for our MB Reno. Went to the RH outlet and found matching inset mirrored cabinets for a great price. Between the weathered wood and the vintagy looking faucets we are trying to go more contemporary with the rest of the space, so it doesn't get too country crock. We are doing a semi frameless glass shower with Hansgrohe Polished Nickel fixtures in their C line. Axor for the rain showerhead and Raindance for the handshower. The chandelier was on sale at Lowes this weekend and with an extra 10% off she was mine, take that Clarissa!

I originally wanted to go with a Calcutta porcelain tile, but we prefer the clean look of the tile on my inspiration board. Hard to see the subtle textured linen look of these tiles. I want to do a mosaic tile for the shower floor and an accent tile in the shower niche. I know it looks super beige and boring now, should we go dark on the shower floors any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible shower floor tile

Comments (5)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

fyi, both Sayde and I have had problems with discoloration on the RH inset mirrored cabinets; they have turned black at the edges

RH told us both that it is because windex was used on them (?). They claim one should only use water (?!)
    I have done some research and found out that this problem is caused by cheap silvering (the mirror making process). It has never happened to any other mirror I own

• msrose
    10 years ago

This is going to be a beautiful bathroom! I love the hexagon tile, but I think I would like it better if it was closer in color to the wall tile.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Love the tile and color...won't show dirt/mold like a lighter tile...not that you want to be showering in dirt or mold..but you know what I mean...your bathroom will be beautiful!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, and about your actual question!

As you know, marble can stain. I have it on an island in my kitchen, so I am not a total naysayer.

But, in my shower, I have a mosiac wall that is paisley white on white design (honed marble and polished marble). It's a big shower stall and it has a hand held, a wall mount, and a rainshower head. You can tell which one I use the most but the (slight) discoloration in the marble. It is from the water hitting the marble (we have well water, but it is treated by a veritable factory in our basement). I also noticed in another bathroom, a stain on the marble threshhold.

The color you are choosing may help, but just forewarning.

I am just full of glad tidings today!

• bergiesgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mtnrdredux . Arrggh but the marble is so darn pretty lol. I am sorry to hear about tis issue with the RH medicine cabinets, that is a real downer. I had heard some complaints about their quality in comparison to prices, but I just loved this pieces. I hope I don't end up regretting it. I will look for a green window cleaner, how can you get your mirror completely streak free with just water?

msrose, I think these two hexagon tiles are a little closer to the floor and wall tile. DH and I both really love these, not sure if appropriate for shower floor because of the smaller dark pieces in the mosaic.