Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicteacher_gw

Kind of off topic

musicteacher
9 years ago

My kids are fairly new home owners and Christmas is coming. I am wanting to buy them really practical things, not too expensive but kind of special too. They are 30'ish. Just wondering if you have things in your home that make you really happy - like a special iron or door knocker or the perfect hangers or ipod speakers, etc.. I bought by brother some gizmo that looks like a giant donut but had rave reviews as the perfect extension cord holder/dispenser. One of my kitchen favorites is my pile of cheap Walmart washcloths - white. They are my dishrags, baby face wipers, towels, paint rags, floor wipers, hot pads - everything in one drawer. I like that they are bleachable and disposable - guilt-free because they are so cheap. No, I don't mean anything that cheap, ( def. under $100 though). Just wonder if you have had gifts or bought yourself anything that you just really appreciate every time you use it?

Comments (49)

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good quality LED flashlights. I was given a Coast HP7 251 Lumens ($40 from Amazon), and love it so much I used a store rebate to get a Nitecore P12 (950 Lumens) that retails for about $60. These are only about 5 1/2" in length. I wouldn't mind having 4-5 more of them around the house because no one uses the standard LED flashlights anymore--they are always borrowing mine.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Our stainless garbage can that is divided into one larger section for recycling and the other smaller side for trash keeps the outbound stuff confined.

Timers for electric lamps are another good one - a good security aide.

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

Toolbox filled with the basics, power tools, paint supplies (quality brushes and tarps), lawn/yard tools. Consider their upcoming projects and choose items that will start them off.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

That's really specific to their house and their wants and needs. So you'll have to be very observant to see what it is they have or don't have or what could be upgraded. Or you might ask gentle probing questions, or listen carefully for their frustrations...

How are their house numbers? I got handmade ceramic numbers which I mounted to our front door at the old house. Or maybe a custom sign with their address on it? Nice ones available from etsy.

I love and live by our kitchen clock...

I also have filled and so appreciate the inheritables that are in our house...the artwork, needlepoint, etc. that has been done by family members, or furniture pieces from Grandma, etc. Often those can mean more than any purchased item.

Again, really important, but so personal for individual use are containers to help organize and control stuff...like closet organizers, containers, racks, shelves, hooks, lined baskets, etc.

How about something like tablecloths and napkins, esp if they had to get a new table for the house...

Maybe towels that work with the colors in their new bathrooms...hand towels or guest towels.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

A Perfex pepper grinder - which is a splurge in itself, but you can go all out and buy the matching salt grinder too. We've had our pepper grinder for 35 years and I just take it for granted. The only reason I thought to even suggest it here is because the question of pepper grinders recently came up on another forum and it jogged my memory.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    9 years ago

If they live in cold weather area, a nice throw for the sofa.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

We have a nice rechargeable mini ipad speaker that gets a LOT of use...fits in the palm of your hand.

I give dishes sometimes but depends on the person - I know my sister is as crazy about Fiesta as I am so there's my xmas presents sorted to her for the next 10 years.

Another gift that got a lot of use was colorful outdoor cushions for the patio furniture -- something that was low on our budget priority list but really brightened the place up.

"Grown up" entertaining gifts can be nice, like a nice decanter, napkins, appie plates.

A nice chef's knife if they like to cook.

A marble pastry board if they like to bake.

My MIL always gives us nice/luxurious towels and they really make my life nicer. She has recently started realizing how tacky I am and into color and has upped the colorful quotient on towels, which is nice for me.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 9:13

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I read somewhere that a perfect gift is a high quality pillow. That is something that is so critical to a good night's sleep but something younger families usually don't have the disposable income for.

My oldest DD has sterling flatware that an old family friend gave her and I am thinking about getting her several place settings to add to it. My youngest DD doesn't have sterling flatware but I thought she could pick a pattern and I could start her collection. The only problem with that is they will be inheriting mine so that may be overkill.

My DMIL for many years gave me a place setting of my everyday china and that was a much appreciated gift. A stem of crystal would be nice or a set of vintage linen napkins because new ones are through the roof expensive. I fell in love with ones in the Neiman Marcus catalog and they were over one hundred dollars each. No way will I spend that much on linen napkins.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

When I didn't have a dime to my name, I gave one of my sisters a microplane zester (see pic). She laughed at me for being so cheap, but later, she told me it was the best gift she'd ever gotten and that they use it all the time. It's great for lemon/orange/lime zest, shaving real nutmeg, Parm cheese, of course… even a tenant of mine this summer told me she couldn't believe I had one and was thrilled. The one, or a gift pack of different styles and coarseness would be wonderful.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I'll just second these suggestions made above:
    Silver, silver, silver
    and, the pepper grinder.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Re: gracie's suggestion for a nice throw: check out Denali throws. Absolutely the best, and they make them in a large 60x70 size. They're thick and wonderful. Saw one in a local antique store but ended up ordering one online in a pattern more conducive to my LR. Absolutely love it. And yes, they'd make a wonderful gift.

As for flatware, if I were a young new homeowner, just starting family, whatever, I'd LOVE a package of 18/20 stainless flatware from a restaurant supply company. I bought mine from the company link below. You can order whatever you want, since you order by the individual item. If you don't want or need teaspoons, for example, you don't have to order any. They come in packages of 12 (i.e.: forks, knives, spoons) and then individual pieces for serving pieces, etc., and a huge selection of styles. FAR more cost effective than buying the stuff that is made for retail/average joe schmoes, which are not made as well and are enormous rip-offs.

Here is a link that might be useful: restaurant supply

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

My mom gave me an over the sink strainer one year. I groaned when I saw it because it is so big and takes up valuable cabinet space, but we use it all the time and it is the greatest strainer ever. I thank mom every time I use it.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Gyr, which of the two flashlights you got is the more effective? (I'm adding this to my general Xmas ideas list)

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I got the most adorable mini whisk from a friend - it had a goofy looking chicken for the handle. It made me smile every time I used it because it was funny and because of who gave it to me. I was sad when it finally fell apart - even more so because the gifter passed away last year.

Donna

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

My SIL gave me a Pampered Chef "skinny spatula"

Handiest spatula ever, I love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: skinny spatula

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Gardening tools - a good wheelbarrow, small pruners, pruning shears, If they are apartment owners, some planters for their balconies and some small spades.

A welcome mat

Deck Chairs, outside table and umbrella.

In the kitchen, what I bought this year which I have never had, are serving up pieces. I have my good stuff which is always tucked away but I never had stuff for the kitchen. Bed, Bath and Beyond sells some nice ladles and serving spoons for less than $9.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Tibbrix--a million thanks for this link--I'm at the stage that my everyday flatware is completely disreputable--been in and out of the garbage disposal, lost in playgrounds....

You're right--a million choices.

• BLTx
    9 years ago

I would stay away from anything that is to be displayed, especially on an ongoing basis (like a door knocker or welcome mat) unless you're highly confident that you understand their taste and needs. (Serving dishes are better--they can bring them out when you're around and hide them away otherwise!)

My mother once gave me a display cabinet. Quite large, good quality, and everything. I like its style, too. I am grateful, but I don't want it--it looks like clutter to me. I don't have anything to display in it that looks even halfway decent. But I hate to get rid of it, too.

Currently it's sitting in my dining room--empty! It's one of the first things someone sees when they enter my house. Perhaps I should fill it, or else get rid of it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think our culture has distorted gift-giving so much that we may as well just go on line and debit each other's accounts! So I applaud you for giving a gift, I am trying to do more of that myself, and teaching my children to be open-minded about the gift and think about the intent of the giver.

As long as you avoid things that are very large or expensive (which make the recipient feel bad if they are a miss) or must be displayed (which are a bit presumptuous), you can't go wrong. I would go into a Williams Sonoma or the like and just make up a nice basket of doodads.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Just got back in the house from Target -- saw some really nice doormats -- and YES!!! -- a trio of those (for the front and back door and IF they have a door into the house from the garage!) would be wonderful gifts! :)

Also: the wire storage baskets (available in so many sizes and configurations) that can be mounted on the inside of a cupboard door -- SO handy and SO welcome!!! :)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Completely agree w/BLTX! Unless the giftee has, in the recent past, expressed a direct love of something decorative, avoid such things as gifts. It is horribly awkward to be given something you just do not like. Best to avoid the potential for that situation.

vedazu…You are most welcome. It's great way to buy flatware. Tends to be well made to hold up to restaurant mayhem, and you get a lot more bang for your buck that way. Always good to have a good supply of flatware on hand, IMO. Make sure to get the 18/20 SS. I've become so cynical about stuff that is sold to the general public as I think most of it is cheaply made.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

You could give them a check with a little note suggesting they use it to buy something they otherwise wouldn't or couldn't for their new home. My mom and dad did that when we reno'd our kitchen. Told us to use it to get something for our new kitchen. (I used the $ when I bought our Movado wall clock--a little splurge, which was my mom's intent!)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oops! I made a mistake. The SS flatware you want is 18/10 (not 18/20).

I think also that there is a minimum you have to spend, if I'm remembering correctly.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I'm short so I use my good quality, lightweight 3-step ladder almost every day. A fiberglass 6-foot ladder is always welcome, too.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Ooooooo -- Check Costco's latest sales flyer -- there is a very nice small ladder for sale -- even DH liked it! :)

A good ladder is one of those things that you REALLY need -- especially during projects of any kind! :)

.... and a good tape measure! :) LOL!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

How about a gift card to The Container Store? Who doesn't need more storage for various things, but not living in the house, you might not know exactly where. You could include the gift card with a couple of smaller containers, giving them a start.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

LED flashlight, they are wonderful. One for each floor.

Freeplay radio, runs on solar or crank the handle, for power outages.

Good scissors, one in each living area, because nothing contributes to family harmony like being able to find scissors when you need them.

Agree about the good pillows and micro zesters.

Lots of LED light bulbs, that's what I would want. Big money saver here.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, ladder is a great idea. I also thought of LED light bulbs. Basic tools - screwdrivers, drills bits..

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Very welcome for their first home were a stepladder & stool, a common tool set small enough to slip in a kitchen drawer, a picture hanging kit with a level in a case, a plug-in rechargeable large flashlight with detachable gooseneck & variable light settings & assorted battery sizes in a storage case, an attractive doormat. A pair of classic wooden candlesticks with holiday candle rings & sticks, a set of battery powered pillar candles and votive holders with battery inserts have all been hits. Handy & practical necessities.

Big fan of wish lists for clues, a family tradition that's thankfully been adopted by my son's. Typically pick & choose from those, but sometimes get lucky & manage multiples. Eight years ago my DDIL had a list of household stuff she'd been too busy to run around to find, including pyrex nesting bakers & bowls with snap lids to replace her mismatched ones, new broom & dustpan, measuring cups & kitchen tools. Found a complete set of pyrex at Sam's for $20 in the gifts aisle & the rest at Tuesday Morning for very reasonable prices. She's still using the broom that clips to its stand-up dustpan & the matching mini version (a long run for brooms) & all the rest.

One year my DDIL & I went shopping together & stopped by one of my favorite consignment shops, the kind that carries a wide assortment of inspirations. While she browsed, I found several things & took them to the counter. Noticed her eyeing an old ironstone washbowl with brown transfer decoration I'd picked up, though she didn't say anything. (Collected it over the years when it went for much less than brighter versions, appreciating how well it looks with rich wood.) It wound up under the tree for her & she was thrilled. Next year found a coordinating pitcher. Both are always out in one room or another, together or alone, since they look great empty or full. Now that their taste is known, they get another serving piece periodically - and I have all year to find one at a good price.

They've gotten vintage silverplate (along with Wright's silver cream to wash them). Picked up for very little a couple of years earlier with them in mind, afterwards wondered if they'd actually want it & put it away. They started out with minimalist design decor & branched out into classic traditional with clean lines when they decided to furnish the DR they'd used as a playroom. Had kept Mom's dining table & chairs for sentimental reasons - so many happy memories - just in case they ever wanted it. They love it. They later found a teacart in the same style, just like Mom had. I'm delighted family gatherings continue around that table and it's special to them. As they added hardwood floors & a mission stained glass fixture to the DR, decided to take a chance & give them the silverplate. She cried when they opened the silverware chest, and told me everything "good" they have came from me. Touched my soft heart to know the gift touched hers, making us both feel very specially loved & appreciated.

They could have afforded these touches themselves, but went against the grain to splurge on them instead of other things. But when it comes as a gift, no indulgence required. Told me later they had sticker shock when pricing new silverware & passed on it. My instinct runs toward older models in great condition for such things, and I'd spent less than good stainless (good, better, best) for it. Apparently a champagne gift on a beer budget. Let them know I didn't break the bank, but they consider it a very thoughtful & special gift. Many such opportunities when you search them out.

When my young granddaughter wanted a "real" tea set for her birthday, like the vintage coffee set I'd given her parents, found a lovely tea for two silverplate set with tray on craigslist for $15 that had belonged to the seller's mother - less than a plastic or metal toy set. Shined up & presented, just the ticket. She's learned to use & clean it & puts it away after our weekly tea parties on a shelf of that teacart. Very special, just like her.

Long way of illustrating the motto of "go practical or go special - or both!" What would you have appreciated at that stage of life? Start there.

This post was edited by vasue on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 14:28

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan, the Coast HP7 actually is more suited for my general tasks. It has an adjustable beam (width), stands on end without tipping and takes regular batteries. It is comparatively a bit larger in diameter and heavier than the Nitecore.

The Nitecore P12 has a narrow, non-adjustable beam that is good for a much longer distance (222 meters). I bought a special rechargeable battery and charger for it because it does not use standard batteries. If I need to carry a flashlight while hiking, I take this one.

There are other good brands and models; You tube has a lot of reviews. The Coast I chose from all reviews

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 14:47

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Well, and of course a broom. Lore is that a broom must be given as a housewarming for good luck. Wouldn't be surprised, though, if nowadays it's been upgraded to Miele vacuum!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

My MIL gave me a clock that wasn't at all my style, but I hung it anyway in the interest of family harmony. I wasn't unhappy when it fell one day and broke into pieces, but my DH thinks it was no "accident." Agree with the others that practical gifts that don't need to be displayed are good gifts. If the item in question comes in a bunch of different forms for different people's tastes or comfort (a pillow for instance), you might be able to select the perfect one for YOU, but likely not for someone else.

• mdln
    9 years ago

This was a gift (wine opener) given to me when I moved into my first apartment. I like that it has lasted a long time and reminds me of the giver when I see/use it, that makes it special.

It is also something that I would not have splurged on. While practical things are nice, a gift really stands out when it is something that I could/would not have easily bought for myself.

• razamatazzy
    9 years ago

i also like the idea of the solar crank radio for power outages, many of them also have a built in LED flashlight.
    I received a heavy duty set of fireplace tools I am sure I will have forever, love them

• aprilmack
    9 years ago

I also agree that the item(s) you gift should not be display items. My mother-in-law bought the most awful picture for us when we purchased our home. Luckily we renovated and the picture was 'lost' during the shuffle.

The group really had some great ideas but the two that stuck out most to me were the pepper grinder and the timer for the lamp. These would be awesome gifts.

Try to buy something that they may not buy for themselves.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Regarding the problem of buying something they may not like-my DD and I have had an agreement since she was old enough to express an opinion. If I give a gift to her, (and she to me), and it is not wanted or liked or to our taste, whatever, we say so and back it goes. I told her it would hurt my feelings more if something I bought her was stashed away, unused, than for her to tell me she didn't like it.

We are always kind about it-''This left-handed thingamabob is really beautiful but I don't have anywhere to keep it!" We have only had to do this a few times but it's nice knowing that if she says she loves it, she loves it!

Linda.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Thanks Gyr for the detailed flashlight information.

• deegw
    9 years ago

My favorites are kitchen centric. I love my wusthoff kitchen scissors. Crate and Barrel is offering a scissor and knife set at a great price.

What about a le creuset or staub dutch oven in a fun color? They are usually more than $100 but I have seen them at TJ Maxx for less.

I also like my kick step which is a step tool with retractable wheels. Lots of colors to choose from and I use it often. I store it in my pantry.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kick+step&oq=kick+step&aqs=chrome..69i57.1715j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Here is a link that might be useful: Scissor set

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

+1 on nothing decorative.

+1 on useful.

I have these lanterns and I adore them. Lifesavers during a power outage and fun for evenings in the yard, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: coleman led lanterns

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Any item that you know is wonderful when quality, but new homeowners might be hesitant to spend the money on: flashlight and grinders (as said above), ladder, tool chest, cleaning tools (dusters, vacuum, hand vac (love my Dyson!!), a gift basket of natural, pleasant o use cleaning products like Mrs Meyers Clean Day. Anything that makes a chore more pleasant is great. A quality broom or rake, tree limb loppers, that kind of thing.

Great thread!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I tend to focus on kitchen too... I love the idea and often use my microplane zester! a nice microplane grater is also great for parm...much better than some of the parm graters they sell!! i was amazed at how much of a difference good prep knives made when i finally got some... a good sharpener stone is nice to have!.... a nice heavy pan for stirfrys is great to have! i had a crummy garlic press for years which i use all the time and finally picked up a nice one and couldn't believe i struggled with my crummy press for so long! i love pedestal plates too for desserts, muffins, etc.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Beautiful sterling flatware can be found on Ebay for much less than at Replacements or any department store, Also the items on Ebay are often vintage or antique and better in quality than the new items.

I love the wonderful idea of a flashlight but one caveat in regard to that. Before purchasing ensure that it takes easily found and relatively inexpensive batteries. I very often have customers that are shocked by the cost of a replacement battery. The OEMs pay very little for the batteries at time of manufacture because they are purchasing in huge quantities but the end user is buying a singleton at a much higher price.

I think a wonderful high quality broom is a grand idea. Remember the broom post in the kitchen forum? This broom is wonderful. Head and handle are sold separately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horsehair broom

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Great suggestions above. I'd add these:
    If they have a fireplace, fireplace tools or a nice metal wood holder
    If they have a patio, a firepit or a firepit table

• lilylore
    9 years ago

They are 30'ish.

If you haven't thought of it yet, you might consider heirlooms, or family hand me downs. I had a friend who at 50 had to drastically downsize and I helped her organize and sort though her enormous household of accumulated belongings. She wanted to toss or donate a whole ceder chest full of linens and a cigar box that had her grandfathers single edge shaver a pocket knife along with some other low priced mantiques that had been handed down and held onto. I told her no no no -don't toss, give them to the kids.

She had a son and daughter in their mid twenties, and even though they were both renters, I suggested she offered them to her kids first. She didn't think they would want them, but I convinced her to at least ask them before chucking the lot.

For the son, the simple gift felt like a coming of age moment, and the prefect time in his life to connect to his ancestors. The mantiques were small enough he could set them on his dresser, or tuck them in a drawer.

I told her that every girl would like at least one nice table cloth and napkins, even if they're only used for a single Valentines day in her lifetime.

She had a brunch and invited her daughter and her daughter's friends, where they sipped champagne and pawed through the doilies and table cloths and all the girls went home with something special, while the woman had a chance to tell the stories connected to the pieces.

As far as a beginner household, a large matching set of tupperware replaces all those sour cream containers you can never find a lid to fit tightly on. A ladle, for some reason is the type of thing folks buy last like wise a whip. But a really good, heavy vegetable cutting knife always seems like an extravagance once you start shopping for them, so it's another purchase often put-off indefinitely (look for 3 rivet handle).

And as simple as it seems, several matching dishtowels (4-6) washcloths (4-6) with matching pot holders make a kitchen look special, even if you are buying them at the dollar store.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Sat, Oct 25, 14 at 13:25

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I would definitely give them something practical but fun and a little luxurious at the same time, like sets of towels, or throws for the sofa,
    not a broom or stepladder, those are too utilitarian for xmas , imo...

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Nice bath towels are always helpful.

I do love my pepper mill, which I did suggest to MIL to get for us. I would love a good planer, too.

Yes, we get too many impractical things from her that we do not want or have place for them. I love her, but now we have 4 thin outdoor chair cushions with nowhere to store them. So, nothing that is large and/or has to be stored either.

I also like the idea of giving them a choice of heirlooms.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Broom isn't for practical purposes. It's to bring good luck to a new home.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Love that my close family and I share "Christmas Lists for Santa," a somewhat long list with many different price points. Never know what you may get so it is still a surprise, but you know you are giving somthing they really want. I like being asked for the list, as much as I like getting the list to help me shop.

• Claire Buoyant
    9 years ago

Vasue, I found your story absolutely touching.