Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzyg215

how about this art?

Suzy
12 years ago

so here we go again. found 2 different limited edition prints that i'm interested in and i'm wondering what others think of them. each of them has a complimentary print so i can do 2 of them. they're kind of expensive, so i'm hesitant. opinions?

this is the room:

this is the blank wall:

these are the prints:

or:

i know many of you will say that i should do some big sculpture type art, but i really want to stick to prints or canvas. and i also know many of you will tell me to put something on my fireplace, but i really like the clean look and the stone is so beautiful in person, that i feel like that is the art.

Comments (22)

• Suzy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

this is another view of the blank wall:

• chispa
    12 years ago

They aren't speaking to me, but how do you feel about them? The fact that you mentioned they are expensive means that you don't love them enough to rationalize the price!!

I'm sure you mentioned it before, but what is the paint color on your walls?

• les917
    12 years ago

I think they are nice, but I don't think they will add anything to your space. They are simply repeats of what the room has already: no patterns, very neutral beiges and browns, no curves or softness to balance all the strong angles.

Will they work? Sure, they will fill the space. Will they bring something more to the room - not in my opinion. The first one is almost a repeat of the feel of the fireplace, so if anything, it will compete with that focal point.

By the way, I will reiterate that I agree that you don't need anything on the fireplace more than the couple of things on the mantel. But I do need to ask why the two lights in that area have such a different look against the stone - the one on the left is much stronger and more direct. Those should be balanced.

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

For that type of art to be effective in your room, I would try to find a canvas with texture, not prints under glass- what size are the ones you pictured ?

the artist I linked below has very calm paintings, in person the textures and layers are striking , I've seen them. I'm linking those to show you different colors that may not be in your room but that would add interest.

You seem to pick browns and beiges, but blues and greens would work in your room also.

Here is a link that might be useful: abstract artist

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

here's a more colorful abstract artist, your room could take this.

these 2 artists produce originals but I've seen giclee textured canvasses
    in those styles on the market.

Here is a link that might be useful: another abstract artist

• jerseygirl_1
    12 years ago

I have to agree with Les. Your room is beautiful.

If you want to use prints, look for abstract arts that have form and color. Art is very subjective. You are the one that has to like it.

Try something different. Check out George Braque (my fav), Chagall,and Riopelle, etc,. Art by Joan Miro has a lot of primary colors that may provide some pop in the room. One of my favorite resources for art is Derri�re le Miroir which is a series of catalogs you can find on ebay printed in the 1960's and earlier that have lithographs. Your art does not necessarily have to match to be hung side by side. That wall is so large that I would do a series of art hung in different frames.

Have you ever considered using just empty frames of sizes on your mantel since you are treating the stone as art?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay-derriere le Miroir

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

Oh WOW! Mitchdesj, I'm not usually much of a fan of abstract art by personal choice, but I scrolled through those pieces by Johanne Martel and was really drawn to several pieces! Just amazing! Especially the ocean waves. Thanks for sharing such talent!

• Suzy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mitchdesj: i love the art from Jean Gabriel Lambert. beautiful. but i'm in NJ and he's in canada. how can i see the art in person?

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

I have used this site before and the artist is very talented in my opinion.
    Again this one is in the Montreal area but there is free shipping.
    I have no affiliation with this site other than I have bought from them before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i agree--- something with texture there would be my choice...

have you ever seen any tapestries that appeal to you??? a nice rod, interesting finials, with or without tassels and an interesting tapestry (abstract or not) might add nice interest to that space...

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Even if it is a $20 item, if I don't love it, I don't love it. If you are hesitant, then you are not wildly in love.
    Now, if you asked where to use this new piece because you can't wait to put it somewhere, then that is a piece you should snap up quickly.
    I think you need to keep looking and when it is the right thing, your heart will quicken and you will just know.

FWIW - either piece would work and is nice. I am not overly excited about either, but I can see their merits.

• Suzy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mitchdesj: i contacted jean gabriel lambert. i just LOVE those paintings. but the sizes i'd need are $3500 each (i need 2) and i can't see them in person.

how much $ is Johanne Martel's work relative to Jean Gabriel Lambert's?

• gobruno
    12 years ago

I agree that the paintings you posted don't seem to standout. I like the ones that mitchdej posted, and it seems like you do too. If you are looking for something inexpensive, you should check out etsy. Although most of the artists aren't well known, there are some nice things you could get that aren't terribly expensive. Btw, I love your home.

• jockewing
    12 years ago

There is an artist on Etsy called Mossmottle that has gorgeous abstract color studies, but it doesn't seem like she offers anything much larger than 16 x 20. There is however lots of great art on Etsy if you are willing to take the time to look.

• htnspz
    12 years ago

If I were to walk into your space as a Designer, I would tell you to:

1. Lose the side chair, you have plenty of seating area
    2. move the sectional over
    3. Place a low cabinet or console table on the wall where you're trying to put art.
    4. Place a big ole mirror over said table so that it reflects the beautiful view and brings more light into the space. Who needs art when you have that view?! Doing so will give that table area it's own space a bit more.

Disclaimer: I don't know your lifestyle so I don't know if you need seating for 12 or not:)

• Suzy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

htnspz: dh prefers to watch tv in the recliner. so does dd. however, if i were to do it the way you suggested, then the fireplace would be in a bad position relative to seating.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

If you are looking for more reasonably priced art, try Ugallery. It is a place for students to sell their work. You may find a budding star or maybe just find something that makes you happy.

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

I like the second one, but I agree with mitchdesj that it would look better on a canvas. I love your room. On the prior thread, you mentioned that you really liked the floral print that you have elsewhere in the room. If you browse the 'abstract botanical' category on art.com you may find something that is a cross between that floral print and these abstract prints, yet affordable. Most of their prints can be printed on canvas, which gives you a more 3 dimensional look.

• msrose
    12 years ago

Well, I'm going to be the odd one out (again). I like both prints, but I like the 2nd one the best. One of the things I've always loved about your room is the monochromatic look. I don't think every room has to have a pop of color to make it work although you do have some small touches in there. Of course, if you aren't sure about the prints, sit back and wait for the right one to come along.

• anitamo
    12 years ago

I like the ones that mitchdej posted,too. Especially the ones with orange. It would give that space some color and I see you have orange pillows to play off of. I like the ideas that htnspz gave you, too, as a alternative to artwork, or you can hang both the mirror and prints. What a beautiful room you have. I'm esp. drawn to the shelving units. Are those built in? Can you tell me more about them?

• stormy_weather
    12 years ago

I hope this isn't too forward of me, but I am a painter who does custom pieces based on what my client wants. I can use photos or other art to base it from. You may email me though my member page if you want to discuss the possibility of me painting something for you.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm