|Hi there, I desperately need help with my living/dining space. It is a small space, 14x18ft approx with cathedral ceilings half the space and lower ceilings the remaining half. It has huge windows and a small alcove to one side. One of the longer sides opens into the kitchen (open floor plan, townhouse like house)
I'm looking for a comfy, inviting, pottery-barnish look while at the same time not making the space look too small.
Here is what we have so far:
1) Persian rug from a friend. Very busy. Beautiful in a larger home, would love to incorporate it into our decor but I'm not sure it'll work in the smaller space. Should I make it work or put in storage?
2) Brown leather couches. Love hate relationship. Uber comfty, easy to maintain and clean with kids. Would love lighter colored couches but I have kids.....if they don't work at all, I can get rid of them, they are in photo 4
3) 50in flat panel TV
What I would like
1) ideas for layout...where the couches should be etc
2) Ideas for stuff to add....curtains, throws, cushions etc to pull the look together...comfortable, inviting but not crowded/busy
3) coffee table
4) dining table...which one? I would love a 6 seater because we entertain a lot, but maybe I should stick to a 4 seater?
We just moved in and have no furniture so stuff is all over the floor....pls excuse the mess
Photo 1 is the longer dimension of the room. There is the large window and the door to the backyard there
Photo 2 has the shorter dimension and shows the couches. Note also the alcove to the right of the photo next to the window. This is the part of the living room that has the lower beam roof
Photo 3 is the other shorter wall
These are 3 walls, the 4th side is half open to the kitchen, you can kinda see the opening to the right of photo 3 where the vacuum cleaner is
Photo 4 is the persian rug 12x10 ft
Thank you so much for your input!!!!
|Can you post a sketch of the floor plan with dimensions? That would be helpful. |
What is the opening over the sofa? Is that to the kitchen? Am I to understand correctly that you want a dining space as well as living space in this room?
I think it's a grand space and can yield a fabulous room. I think those sofa's can stay and I love the rug.
Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum
Information about Posting
- You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
- Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
- We have a strict no-advertising policy!
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.
Learn more about in-text links on this page here