Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheesharee

Range backsplash question.

Sheeisback_GW
9 years ago

Posted on the kitchen forum too.

Working on some changes...Tore the existing counter splash off the wall and having bb paneling added (hopefully it will finally happen this weekend) and I was planning to use this trim piece long the bottom.
Trim shot - 5/8â thick.
{{!gwi}}
Another angle.
{{!gwi}}

WeâÂÂre purchasing the GE Café series appliances. This is the range and how it will look against the wall. (Sorry if overkill - I'm visual!) The trim piece is 5/8â thick. I was originally planning to run it straight behind the range, but the thickness isnâÂÂt going to allow it to be flush against the wall.
{{!gwi}}

What to do?

The only flat trim I saw was thin and wood. IâÂÂd like to use pvc because of water. (above two are pvc.) My other, smaller pvc option would stick out too.

Should I run the bb across and stop the trim at each side of the range? Kind of like this? - with bb on the whole thing.
{{!gwi}}

This person used tin behind the range. I like this, but I already tore off the splash and IâÂÂm not putting it back.
WonâÂÂt have the new appliances for a few months, but weâÂÂre getting the OTR Café microwave. The old microwave is down (doesnâÂÂt work anymore - long story) and we were going to have the bb ran to the upper cabinets so there was no detail issues later.
Cooperbailey
{{!gwi}}

For the edges of the splash, I was planning to use üâ dowel rod. IâÂÂm not using trim along the top part of the splash.

Kitchen shot if itâÂÂs helpful.
Some other main changes:
-staining cabinets GF Brown Mahogany
-can light has been added over sink
-wooden valance will go
-new cabinet crown
-new paint (BM Shaker Beige)
-fabrics
- etc., etc.
{{!gwi}}

Comments (17)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

No to beadboard behind the range!!!! Do some easy to clean tile behind the range.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

IâÂÂm with Beverly about saying nix the BB behind the range. ItâÂÂs not that easy to clean, is not fire resistant, and there are so many other products more suitable. Tile, thins steel, tin, etc. I have wood BB backsplash in my kitchen, every where EXCEPT behind my cooktop. I put tile in behind the cooktop, and have never regretted it. ItâÂÂs fire resistant, easy to clean, and looks correct for the space.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well.... I honestly wasn't concerned about the bb being difficult to clean. Lol, have you had the not so pleasant experience cleaning it?

Should I stop the trim at the sides of the range?

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If I didn't use bb behind the range, I'd be interested in using some type of tin, but I would want still wanted it painted.

Popped back over from the kitchen forum, someone mentioned to check clearances. This is what the specs say.
    "This appliance has been approved for 0â spacing to adjacent surfaces above the cooktop. However, a 6â minimum spacing to surfaces less than 15â above the cooktop and adjacent cabinet is recommended to reduce exposure to steam, grease splatter and heat. "

This post was edited by sheesharee on Wed, Oct 1, 14 at 9:30

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hoosiergirl also did tin. Mine would look more like Cooperbailey's with the OTC microwave.
    {{!gwi}}

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I would stop the trim at the edges of the range, and use painted tin for the backsplash area behind it. that would look great!

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can/should I put the tin right over the bb paneling? I was thinking that would be fine since it's not like tin is thick.

I'm excited to get everything complete. The kitchen is going to really look different.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Ditto what Nanny2a said. I'm not sure about putting the tin over the bb? Splatters in the grooves of the bb is not fun to clean.

We've recently switched out to ss appliances. My stove went out and that started it. Still have not bought a new SS fridge though as mine is working well, but will do that soon so I can match the rest. I will say, I hate cleaning the SS!!!!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Beadboard Ceramic Tile

Here is a link that might be useful: Beadboard Ceramic Tile

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Another GWer used the ceramic.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0809075221167.html

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, the ceramic bb is pretty neat. I didn't realize they made that. I do already have the bb paneling though and I'm sure the ceramic is more than we wanted to spend on a splash.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

$4.55 for an 8" x 20" piece of tile....no cutting, no trim, no painting. Sounds like an easy installation and no reason to change materials behind the range.

Can you return the beadboard?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceramic Beadboard

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No. I mean we technically could, but DH definitely won't like the idea. He was more willing to buy the new appliances, but is totally fine with the kitchen as is and wouldn't be changing anything if I didn't want to. The 4'x8' panels are $20. We did pay to have them delivered because they won't fit in our vehicles. Plus our carpenter friend should be coming this weekend to take care of the splash and crown.

I actually really like the way Cooperbaily used the tin behind her range. I didn't entertain the idea much before because it seemed like just something extra to think about and figured bb alone would be ok.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Wed, Oct 1, 14 at 12:25

• annac54
    9 years ago

No to any wood, pvc, or anything else combustible behind the range. I have the GE Cafe range, and along with the vents pointing toward the front that you see, are vents pointing at an angle toward the back too. The area gets hot, so you need something that will not melt or catch fire there.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Shee......if you're using particle board that looks like beadboard, be sure to seal every edge that might come in contact with water.

Particle board acts like a sponge and starts disintegrating when even a little bit wet.

ML

• woodchuck_mo
    9 years ago

Shee - where did you find the breadboard panels? I have been looking for them but all our local Lowe's carries is finished beadboard. I would like something I can stain or paint.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anna - Thanks! I'm planning to use the tin or plan c would be stainless. How do you like your stove?

Maddie - Yep, will do!

Woodchuck - Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner! I bought them at Lowes. They're the TrueBead white panels. Our store also carries 4x8 sheets of unfinished pine bb paneling that could be be stained or also painted.