Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackchamois

Need sewing machine recommendations

blackchamois
10 years ago

Calling all seamstresses!

I need a new sewing machine and would like to get some recommendations.

Just a good "basics" machine. I will use it mainly for home projects - drapes, pillows, etc. Don't need a serger and don't do quilting, etc.

Brother? Singer?

Thank you!

Comments (33)

• merrygardener
    10 years ago

Thanks for asking, BlackChamois! I need this too, and would like to know what used machines would also be recommended or avoided. I've been checking Craigslist for a while and have been shocked by the sheer number (and price) of many antiquated machines and the wide price margin for many machines.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I highly recommend a used and very old White sewing machine. They're all metal and mechanical so they'll pretty much last forever as long as you keep them oiled properly and don't lose the parts because eventually they might be hard to find. Mine was made in '72. I've had it since the late 80's. I only had to take it in once. It cost twenty five dollars to have it cleaned and re-oiled then it was as good as new. The repair man told me the only reason I needed that was because I'd not used it for quite awhile and the oil gummed up on it. The reason I bought a White is because my Mom bought in the mid 70's and we both used it until I moved away and got married. When she passed on in '95 we gave her machine to her sister who made all her clothing until recently and it still worked beautifully. My Mom and her two sisters worked in garment factories when the where young, the aunt that got Mom's machine worked there until it closed in '88, so they know good sewing machines.
    Before I decided to see if my White could be "fixed", as I thought it was broken, I bought an inexpensive little brother computerized machine. Other than the button hole maker it's pretty much worthless and that's worthless now because it was plastic and it soon broke. It often "errors" in the middle of sewing so if you didn't write down what settings you had it set on you're stuck trying to figure out the correct width and length before you can continue to sew.

If you do want a new one then I wouldn't recommend a computerized machine unless you can afford a more expensive one than I bought. Mine was around $140.00. You can still get new mechanical ones for under a hundred, but as with the computerized new ones they can't handle any heavy duty or more than sewing over a couple layers of fabric.

I hope that helps ladies. I've been sewing since I was a little girl, I had a pink plastic toy machine that did only a chain stitch. As a teen I made clothing for myself along with bedding and curtains for my bedroom. I made most of the window treatments for all the homes I lived in since I married 33 years ago. I later had my own business as a seamstress for a short while until family life, Grammyhood (our son's son) and our daughter getting married got in the way. So all in all, I do have quite a bit of experience sewing. It's kind of in my blood.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I agree about the recommendation for a White sewing machine. My mother purchased hers used in the 60's, and my sister is still using it for projects around the house. Her serviceman has also told her to never sell it because it has metal parts instead of plastic. That makes all the difference. I hope you can find one.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, thank you for the inquiry. My daughter is also debating a purchase. 35+ years ago I bought a Bernina, close out model, very basic just before the leap to computerized happened. It has served me well. I have been lax at getting it serviced. My mother sewed on a Singer, circa 1960, still has it. She had hers serviced every year, just out of love and respect for the machine. Her machine put out clothes for herself and three girls plus grand kids, doll clothes, curtains, tailoring etc. I doubt mine has half the use hers did.
    Is Brother a good brand? It is new to me so I am skeptical. This White brand I have never heard of. Do they sell new machines or should one scour ebay or craig's list?

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

I still have my Mom's Singer 301 from the 60's. It's very sturdy but only does straight stitching. I got a Singer 328 at a thrift store for a few dollars because pieces were missing. I bought the pieces for less than $15 off ebay and have a great zigzag machine for less than $20.
    I'm really not interested in one of the computerized machines, for what I do, my vintage ones look great.
    I'd check ebay and then get some reviews. The HGTV message board has a quilting/crafts board and those members sew all the time. They'll direct you to where you need to be (they did me).
    Have fun.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I agree that an old used machine can be a great machine. I highly recommend Mom's old Singer 401A...one of the best machines they ever made...only thing is, I'm not sure the light bulbs for the machine are available any more. Her Viking from the 70s is also a wonderful machine. They're both metal machines and run like crazy. They both have a lot of fancy stitches as well as all the basics you'll need to get most anything done.

But I have to admit, I did get lured by some features on the new machines so I bought myself a new Viking a few years ago...I figure I saved myself so much on all the drapes I made for the house, I could afford the new machine and still be ahead....it's a nice machine.

• cat_ky
    10 years ago

I have the old White from the late 60's. It's the turquoise color one with the cams. It has sewn a lot of stuff for years. I dont sew much anymore. A few years ago, I bought a new singer. Well, it sits in a box in the closet. I hate it. I then bought a Euro Pro denim machine. Supposed to sew heavier materials well. It is not a bad machine, and it does have mostly metal parts, which is a plus, but, it does not like heavy fabrics. That old White will sew anything, I can get under the pressure foot.

This post was edited by cat_ky on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 20:18

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

If you'll be doing a lot of home decor sewing, nothing beats a vintage Swedish-made Viking Husqvarna. They're all metal, dual-gear, heavy as the dickens, sew through anything (including sheers & lightweight clothing - not just for the tough stuff).

You can find them on eBay from reputable dealers, or check your local Viking shop; they often carry or have access to well-serviced older machines.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

My White is from the early 80's and I love it. Since it is metal and sturdy I can easily sew through 4 or 5 thicknesses of denim without any difficulty - as long as I remember to use the right needle.

It's a shame they're not making them any more, they were a workhorse.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

I still have my Singer Touch 'n Sew from the 60's. It will do most anything, and my favorite thing is that it winds the bobbin while still in the bobbin case -- no rethreading the needle. I bought a Brother from Walmart for an emergency at a second home and still use it occasionally when I am there. The whole time I'm sewing I'm scared to death that it will implode or stop sewing altogether. I don't ask too much of it. I would not want it to be my only machine. I also have there a 50's Singer Featherweight, which is practically brand-new that I don't use much, but know I have if I need it. That is one great machine (I used a Featherweight to learn to sew and then used it until my mother traded it for the Touch 'n Sew.

• franksmom_2010
    10 years ago

Another vote for an old, metal machine. I have an old Singer made in the early 80's that I bought at a thrift for $20. It was cleaned, oiled, I bought new bobbins and needles and downloaded the manual from the Singer website. Parts of the outer case are plastic, but all of the working parts are metal. That thing has just sewed and sewed. Denim, sheers, clothing, drapes, pillows, quilts, doll clothes, you name it.

I never have figured out the blind hem stitch, and the only other accessory I bought was a zipper foot. It's not a fancy machine, but sews like a dream over and over.

I did buy an old Singer Featherweight, just because I got caught up in the nostalgia, but I've never used it.

I would look at the thrifts, estate sales, etc. first, before I would consider a new machine. Pre-1990's Singer, White and Husqvarna are all good choices, and if it's missing a manual, you can always buy or download those from the websites.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I took an interest in sewing as a young girl in the early 60's because of my grandmother who sewed everyday and could make anything. Seeing my interest, my father surprised me out of the blue one day when I was about 12 and brought home a used top of the line Sears Kenmore. I think he paid $50-$100 for It (with a walnut cabinet). sans cabinet, which is in the basement, it I s sitting on my dining room table right now. I have taken it several times for service and each time they say the same thing...."don't ever get rid of this because it's all metal, everything today is plastic." I don't sew much now, but hope to perhaps enjoy it again when I retire. Unfortunately, my daughter never took an interest. I consider myself a perhaps better than average seamstress but nowhere in the same league as my grandmother, who had a Singer machine probably from the 20's or 30's. So agree, an old all metal machine is your best bet. You can probably research makes/models on the internet then seek out one on CL or eBay.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

My sister has Mom's White machine, and my parents purchased a Kenmore like this one in the picture for me when I was in high school making my clothes. Though it's small it's mighty. I used to sew suede clothes & bags on this in the 70's. Still works great. Has metal interior parts.

Here is a link to a blog of someone that collects sewing machines. If you ever see this one in its' flowery case, buy it. It can ZigZag & make button holes without cams and attachments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore Portable Sewing Machine

This post was edited by beverly27 on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 12:23

• kam76
    10 years ago

So does anyone have an opinion about a really old treadle White? This one looks beautiful! I love the idea of not being a slave to electricity. I have a brother that is okay but is definitely a "cheap" feeling machine.

Does it seem like a good price?

Here is a link that might be useful: White rotary machine

• kam76
    10 years ago

So does anyone have an opinion about a really old treadle White? This one looks beautiful! I love the idea of not being a slave to electricity. I have a brother that is okay but is definitely a "cheap" feeling machine.

• kam76
    10 years ago

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I'm not surprised at all to find so many that have and love their White Sewing Machines. I don't think Mom and I had heard of them before she bought hers. She was replacing her Kenmore that always seemed to give us trouble with the tension.

I just did a little research and came across another GW thread from a little over a year ago about sewing machines and thought the last post in particular could be very helpful to anyone owning or purchasing an older sewing machine that didn't have a manual.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check last reply for great info on finding old sewing machine manuals.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

FranksMom I'll try and remember to do a tutorial on how to use the blind hemmer. I use it all the time and it's really easy. It's all in how you fold the fabric.

Kam76, my Grammy had a Singer Treadle sewing machine and loved it. She's been gone since '86 at the age of '88. My uncle, that lived with her, sold it for probably next to nothing when she stopped using it. We all were very upset with him. If you're young, have good ankles and lower leg strength and don't need fancy stitches, I think it would be fun to have one.

Here's a photo of my machine in action and another one showing another part of the same project where I know I was sewing a total of 8 thickness of outdoor fabric.

The 8 layers are where the double rows of stitching cross each other. Oops, it's actually 9 layers. I forgot to count the fabric I was sewing the rod pocket for the chair onto.

Here's the cushions on my neighbors chairs. Well a close up of one of them. The pocket are shown above is under the cushion at the front of the seat.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 15:02

• sundownr
    10 years ago

I'm happy to hear that everyone loves the old machines. I have a couple of old singers from the 60's. One was my mom's and I bought a couple on ebay for ~$25. I used them for years and years until I got my mom's pfaff (probs from the mid 90's). I use it most now because I do quilt piecing but I still have the old machines for heavy duty sewing and for when extra people come over and sew with me.

• southernstitcher
    10 years ago

There is an ebay seller who refurbishes vintage machines, and packs them the best I've seen. I used to be quite the collector. She and her husband do this together. I highly recommend her! Her selling name on ebay is "NiftyThriftyGirl" - and she has some beauties for sale. Totally re-done, including electrical.

Kenmores were work horses too. Be very very careful with the older Vikings. They are GEMS, but they had trouble with cracked cam stacks, and will freeze up after a couple of years of no use. This is due to the first "never needs oil" lubricant they used didn't work as expected. They can be very expensive to fix -- that is IF you can find anyone now who really knows what they are doing with them. And trust me, many sewing machine repair people do NOT know jack about those machines. There is a yahoo group devoted to them, run by a well known and very respected "sewing machine guy". His name is Bill H, and he is known far and wide on the internet in groups devoted to these old machines. He knows what he's talking about. In the files there, he has a list of very good Viking repair people who know how to fix them. I bought mine from a respected ebay seller named Paul, but that's all I remember about him. Mine was such a beauty - the old red 6570. LOVED her, but sold her to a friend who is actually sewing on her.

I guess I recommend that particular ebay seller over going to the thrift store, because unless you really enjoy refurbishing these old machines, you may have some work ahead. I used to do it - no biggie, but I hated the electrical part. Niftythriftygirl's prices are excellent too.
    All that said, I bought two machines from her years ago, and in no way am I associated with her. I hang out at PatternReview.com, where there are great threads about machines.

This post was edited by southernstitcher on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 20:41

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! Thanks everyone for the feedback! Looks like I have some hunting to do!

• kai615
    10 years ago

I was going to recommend checking pit niftythriftygirl on eBay also. I didn't purchase through her in the end, but when I was in the market for my last machine she had some great vintage ones she cleans up.

I however, had my heart set on and did find a vintage Viking 6460. Great for home decor, it even has a low gear to power through seriously heavy weight fabrics.

I highly recommend almost any of the old steel models from Viking or White. I had a Neechi also that was fantastic. The only thing to keep in mind is old parts are harder to come by and some machines are known for specific issues. If you know what they are, you can look for them and factor them into the price. Just do some research. An example, my 6460 was known for the oil the used originally freezing up the machine if it was not used regularly. So when I bid on mine (eBay) I factored in a complete overhaul from a service tech to scrape the old grease and add new tephlon grease.

Also as sewing machine repair people get fewer and further between, be sure you have someone to work on what you buy. I drive an hour to get to the closest Viking repair guy. Well worth it, but still a drive.

All that considered your money will go a long way with a vintage machine. I really like some of the new Vikings and such, but until you get up over a thousand dollars most of the machines out there new are crap especially for heavier fabric.

• kai615
    10 years ago

Double Post

This post was edited by Kali615 on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 9:27

• donnar57
    10 years ago

I have a 23 year old Viking Husqvarna basic machine. It's packed away due to home remodeling right now, but I think it was model 610. It's a workhorse. I'm lucky to have a good sewing machine guy in town, who has kept it serviced me for the past 15 years. It's an all metal machine....almost impossible in a reasonably priced machine today.

BTW, there is a Sewing forum here on Garden Web. I'm not sure how busy it's been lately.

Donna

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

I just saw the twin to my DM Singer 201 up on Craigslist for FREE in Northern NJ. If you're looking for a vintage machine, free would certainly be the right price. Have fun hunting.

• southernstitcher
    10 years ago

kali615,
    My 6570 cost me about $400 completely refurbished. But it was lovely with nary a scratch. Sometimes I regret selling it, but, I had to downsize. I found I really don't like switching out heavy machines, or having any of them sitting in a closet, so I only have kept one vintage - my Singer 403, and sold the rest. Yes, I sold the Singer 201 and the Featherweight! I know, that's akin to sewing machine blasphemy! I found I just like my newer Berninas better for every day sewing. I'll probably never get rid of that Singer. I like the slant needle design, the sound she makes, and she's so smooth.
    Another seller I recommend is Sew-Classic.com. She sold me the 403, and is another GREAT seller of refurbished machines. I think she mainly deals in old Singers. Great lady who also packs a machine where you could throw it from a 4 story building and it would be fine.
    For me, a straight stitch semi industrial machine was the way to go for power.
    So, I bought a friend's Juki TLQ2010. She'd only used it for two quilts. I LOVE this machine. The throat area is large enough to stuff big projects into. It sewed over a flat plastic pin head and I didn't even realize that till I was done! And, it's FAST! So was my Viking, but I find this one easier to control somehow, and smoother. I didn't care for the sound my Viking made - I guess I'm sensitive to noises! But, in low gear, the Viking is probably about as powerful as the Juki.
    I agree those old Necchi's are powerhouses as well. Can you tell I love talking about machines??

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I agree that the old mechanical machines are great. I have a couple myself, in addition to my computerized Bernina that I do most of my sewing on.
    But if you're not up for finding a good old mechanical machine, there are some newer machines on the market that are worth looking at.
    The Janome HD1000 is a good solid mechanical machine. I got it for my daughter in law and it's nice and works well.
    Unless you're prepared to spend well over $1000 I would not suggest any of the new computerized machines. They're plastic pieces of junk that the industry considers "throw away" machines - you don't fix them when something goes wrong you throw them away.

• kai615
    10 years ago

southernstitcher, I wont tell anyone over on patternreview that you got rid of your featherweight. Your right, you might actually be banned ;-)

I spent a total of $400 on my 6460 to guy and have it rebuilt and oiled. It was $175 for the machine and another $225 for the rebuild. The guy I go to is a five star Viking certified repair person. He has been doing this since this machine was first made. My figuring is that you can't buy a new plasticky machine for that price that can do what this one can. I got my few decorative stitches I wanted, plus buttonholes, and I also figure it will easily last another 30 years. It was the most I have ever spent on a machine, but after sewing for as many years as I have been and as much as I do, it was overdue.

You are right about the old Singers though. I did leave them off my list of must buy vintage. I am soured on Singers for some reason. I was handed down a "newer" 90's Singer, and at one point it was my only machine. I also had an opportunity to sew on a new Singer. I have no more respect for Singer. Sorry. But I have owned an old Steel vintage Singer. I forget the model. One I picked up for $25 at a junk shop. My first machine ever. It was great. I made every curtain for my first apartment. I also made slipcovers for a junkie old couch. Everything was great till the foot pedal caught fire. Now that I know more about machines, I would have kept the machine and found a new pedal. Back then I junked the machine when I moved, it was really really heavy and I was moving. The old Singers are great, the new ones I wouldn't take if you paid me.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

As mentioned above, i have an old Kenmore from the early 60's--all metal--that came in walnut cabinet. I have no place for the cabinet on the main floor so machine was in basement for years. I did not like going down there to sew. A few years ago we found an old Kenmore more basic model at a garage sale and I purchased it just for the case so I could use on my DR table, but I have kept the machine for parts should I ever need them. The local Hancock Fabrics used to have a guy come in once a week or month to do scissor sharpening and he would also take machines and service them...not sure if he is still around. It's becoming a lost art I'm afraid.

• wkate640
    10 years ago

I have a Bernina 1230 that I will keep forever. I also have one of the very new Bernina sewing/embroidery "computers" as they call them, and I use the 1230 still, for a lot of things, because it's easy. So, if you can find a Bernina 1130 or 1230, you wouldn't be making a mistake.

• artydecor
    10 years ago

I've been also been looking, and found a good deal today- Amazon has the Singer 7258 on sale today only for 124.99. Reviews are great, and this is 58% off the regular price. Sorry I can't get a link to post, but look under gold box deals.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Sorry sonic mom, but I can't recommend that Singer. Unless all you're doing are a few repairs now and then, in which case it might be okay.
    If you want to do any home dec sewing, or any serious garment sewing, you're likely to have more headaches and frustration with any new Singer, than not.
    Look at the mechanical machines that are all metal or mostly metal.

• Denise
    10 months ago

Singer or Brother sewing machines are quite good, the higher the price the better the quality (usually). Here is an article comparing the two brands https://thesewingrules.com/singer-vs-brother/

Hope this helps