Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Bedroom 2 questions: Min bed, brass lamp, maple

sochi
9 years ago

I'm finalizing selections for our bedroom at the cottage. I *think* I'm going with one of Pal's suggestions - the Min Bed from DWR. Perfect for a small room, good reviews, it should be able to handle a thick mattress.

I've already purchased these lamps for either side of the bed:

Will the white or gray aluminium Min bed frame play better with the brass and black lamp? The walls are white drywall, linens will be an indigo linen duvet cover OR traditional Hudson Bay Points blanket, white linen sheets.

For side tables I've purchased this slab of ambrosia maple. Do you think I should use black metal, white metal or antiqued brass brackets to support the slabs?

Comments (26)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I'd vote Gray for the bed and black brackets. Looks like you're going in a different direction for storage? I love the wood

• User
    9 years ago

I would get a black frame. (Gray = army cot, white = hospital bed.)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

For a cottage? White bed frame.

For the maple slab, either the black, to go with the shade of the lamp, or brass to go with the arm of the lamp.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

white bed frame, black table base. Lovely maple.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think white bed and could you bracket the table onto the wall framing and cover the lower arm of the bracket with drywall?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or you could use contemporary maple corbels

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

White frame for the bed....clean and fresh and will go with anything down the road.

Table base....depends on the look you want. Since the walls are white, a white base will make it look like the table tops are floating....very minimalist. A black base against the white wall will draw attention and the eye will go to them.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Honestly, I would have the Min frame powder coated in black. I don't particularly like the white or the grey with those lamps. What's your flooring?

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone.

mtn, I've given up on bed storage, the room is too narrow for drawers there really. With the Min bed or something similar I will have 5'1" between the end of the bed and the wall, sufficient for a closet, armoire or dresser, so I will do something there.

Fun2bBHere & others - I wish the Min bed came in black. West Elm has an inexpensive black platform bed, but, like IKEA, I worry about the quality.

I came across another platform I like that from StyleGarage. Comes in "hot rolled steel", which is nearly black it looks like. Picture below is the platform bed in stainless, below that is a similar bed (which I also like) in the hot rolled steel. Does anyone have experience with a bed like this where the mattress sits flush or level with the frame? I fear the mattress would move about a bit. And this one looks a little more dangerous for my shins, but I do like it.

Pal - the room is all drywalled already. Still possible, but I'd rather not produce more drywall dust if I can avoid it.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just called the store that sells those last two beds - the hot rolled steel is a dark charcoal grey, not uniform in colour. I still might like that more than the white or light gray of the Min Bed. The picture below shows the colour a bit better.

The headboard (rift sawn oak) only adds an inch to the length of the bed, and it is all custom, so I could get a headboard tall enough to take a thick mattress.

Would the antiqued brass and black in the lamps work with this darker grey do you think?

The floors at my cottage are white oak, knotty with a very slight white/grey wash.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I would worry about my shins and toes with that bed, but I do agree that a black or dark steel would look better.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

To me, the lamps are kind of elegant and don't seem to mesh with the beds you are showing. However, the problem may be my lack of vision. If the lamps are returnable, I would buy whichever bed you like the best, try it all together and then go from there based on the results.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I agree that the raw steel bed's projecting square corners would be less forgiving than the Min's rounded ones.

I would probably do white brackets since the walls are white. Or, alternatively match whatever bed frame material or finish you pick. Voting for white frame again to minimize anything that isnt wood.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I like the white min bed and then white brackets for nighttables.
    I think the black lamps will play nicely with the white.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Could you post the plan and how you intend to situate the side tables?

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is. Bed will be on the north wall (green circle). For the moment I'm thinking the side tables will flank the bed, perhaps spanning the entire distance (31") from the bed side to wall, perhaps smaller. I wanted a basket placed under each table for magazines, books, etc.

I can use the maple slab for another purpose if I opt not to use them for side tables.

I was leaning to the white Min bed too, but I now much prefer the raw steel bed. The point of the bed is to be minimal and disappear though, so I get that the Min bed is likely the best choice.

I love the lamps, they stay. :) Everything else I can be talked in or out of.

This post was edited by sochi on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 18:20

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Do you need brackets for sure? Could you fix them by the side and back each to the adjacent walls?

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I may not need them, we did something similar with the live edge desk off our kitchen, although it is also supported by a cabinet on one end. The wood is fairly heavy of course.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

See, I like the maple slab and the lamps together. I just don't like the beds. Would you ever consider the DWR parallel bed in walnut and one of the dark leathers or white fabric? You might have to change your bedding to make that work, though.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fun, I love the parallel bed, and would love to have it. It is too big though (at least I think it is). Compare it to the simple platforms: 78" x 89" to 62" x 82". That is a significant difference in a small bedroom, although most of the extra width with the parallel bed is the headboard. The parallel would reduce the space between the end of the bed and the wall from 5'1" to 4'6", and I need to add at least 20" of storage in that space.

I know neither simple beds are great beauties, the bed will mostly be about the linens. That said, I do like the dark steel bed with the oak headboard quite a bit. Makes me sad that the min is likely the better choice for the room.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Have you thought of having someone make you a simple plinth and platform (with rounded edges that did not project beyond the mattress at all)?

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I see. I think I missed your earlier thread so I didn't quite absorb all the dimension issues. I do like Palimpsest's idea of having a custom piece made. Plus, you could add either a hidden pull-out drawer or have the top attached with hydraulic (?) hinges so you could easily put flat storage in the cavity. Custom might allow you to attach the wood slabs directly to a headboard piece some way, too.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've thought about custom, I'm just not sure where to go, nor how easy or not it is to make a bed. Plus I'd just like to get something and be done with it! I'll think about it. A bed with an hydraulic lift would be ideal (which brings me back to IKEA and the Malm - how bad can it be??)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The problem with most of the off-the-rack platform beds is the lack of toe space underneath and the sharp projecting corners at the bottom of the bed which make for stubbed toes and bruised shins. Malm included.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Sochi,
    I believe you are also in canada,
    Did you take a look at maison corbeil

Here is a link that might be useful: Look here

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi lyban - my walnut platform bed at home is from Maison Corbeil, the matteo. I have to go to Montreal to pick up my lighting next weekend, I might pop into this store. Most of their beds are a bit big I think though.

The Stylegarage bed I posted above is made to order in Toronto, and I prefer to buy local(ish) when possible, so both the Montreal and Toronto options appeal for that reason (I'm in Ottawa, close enough). Maybe I should sacrifice my shins for a lower carbon footprint and to support small business?

The American modern bed from DWR also has good dimensions, although I think my mattress is too thick for it. Could give mattress to the guest room and find a thinner mattress I suppose.